Other directors' opinion of QT

I was reading an article on Bernardo Bertolucci’s new movie, and Bertolucci, asked about young directors he likes, named Quentin Tarantino as one of his favorites. Has anybody else heard differing opinions on QT from other directors? Good, bad, ambiguous? Here are a few others off the top of my head that I’ve read in interviews:

Directors who have gone on record admiring QT:

Brian De Palma

Steven Spielberg

Peter Bogdanovich

P.T. Anderson

Pedro Almodovar

Roger Corman

Philip Kaufman

Atom Egoyan

Mike Figgis

Abbas Kiarostami

Jim Jarmusch

Wim Wenders

Directors who’ve dissed QT:

Paul Schrader

Harmony Korine

Michael Haneke

Spike Lee

Bertrand Tavernier

Walter Salles

Ken Russell

Ambiguous (could go either way);

Martin Scorsese

Clint Eastwood

Arthur Penn

Oliver Stone (believe it or not)

Jean-Luc Godard

Billy Wilder

isnt Godard dead? ???

Yea, Shrader dissed Q, sucks too, since Taxi Driver is one a QT’s favs. Scorcease liked Pulp Fiction, I know that.

What did Harmony Korine and Ken Russel say about Qt?

Godard is very much alive (“In Praise of Love” was brilliant), and he mumbled something about QT taking the name of one of his movies for his company A Band Apart (he said he should have just given him some money instead).

Korine said that “Tarantino’s movies are so dated they’re dated even before they come out.” Russell reportedly walked out of “Pulp Fiction” before the first 30 minutes were over, bitching about it being “slow.”

[quote]Godard is very much alive (“In Praise of Love” was brilliant), and he mumbled something about QT taking the name of one of his movies for his company A Band Apart (he said he should have just given him some money instead).

Korine said that “Tarantino’s movies are so dated they’re dated even before they come out.” Russell reportedly walked out of “Pulp Fiction” before the first 30 minutes were over, bitching about it being “slow.”[/quote]

I have a question Cap._Koons.

Is this sure that QT uses the titel “Bande àpart” (german Titel, Die Außenseiterband, I don´t know the american titel,means something like the band/group of outsiders) from Jean-Luc Godats movie from 1964 for this “a band apart”?

What does QT say about it?

Yup, quite sure. He has stated several times that it is his favorite Godard movie, and that he liked it so much he decided to name his company after it. Great movie, by the way (and “Pulp Fiction” quotes quite a lot from it).

Thanx, i have to admit i never saw it…

I only saw hm …shit, don´t know the english titel… "außer atem"

You know the movie with Belmondo, played a little gangster, who was fucked by the police because of his girl friend…

“A Bout de Souffle,” called “Breathless” in English. Another great Godard flick.

Add Takeshi Kitano to the bad list. He didn’t like Kill Bill at all, here is what he actually said:

Q : Comments on Kill Bill?

Kitano : Ever since I heard Tarantino was making a chanbara movie, I had extremely low expectations, and thought he could only make a laughable thing. At the end he made it far worse then I expected, and I respect him because he had the balls to make such a bad movie.

And I wouldn’t go against a Japanese directors opinion on a mainstream movie.

Also forgot about Cameron Crowe. He placed “Pulp Fiction” among his top 10 favorites in last year’s Sight & Sound roundup.

I know Kevin Smith’s a fan, just look at the view askew wwwboard.

What did Paul Schrader say about QT?

Schrader has always seen himself as a holier-than-thou transcendentalist, even though he toils in pretty trashy stuff. To him, a down-and-dirty entertainer-artist like Tarantino is “the signpost of the decade,” and not in a good way. He’s said in interviews that the first time he saw “Pulp Fiction” he realized his kind of filmmaking was dead – whatever that means. Several times I read of him accusing QT of making films that are simply cynical and ironic. The irony, I think, is that Schrader huffs and puffs about transcending style though this is only a notion in his work, while Tarantino, who makes no great claims about Art, creates films infused with feeling, honor, and yes, morality.

and im sure robert rodriguez is on the good side

I’m sure Scorsese loves Tarantino’s work…for obvious reasons.

Pierce Brosnan (James Bond), I remember him at the premier saying something along the lines of “Tarantino is a good filmmaker, he makes movies we all wanna see” or something like that.

I don’t think he’s directed before, but still. :-/

Ron Livingston, of “Office Space” fame, is also a QT fan.

[quote]Add Takeshi Kitano to the bad list. He didn’t like Kill Bill at all, here is what he actually said:

Q : Comments on Kill Bill?

Kitano : Ever since I heard Tarantino was making a chanbara movie, I had extremely low expectations, and thought he could only make a laughable thing. At the end he made it far worse then I expected, and I respect him because he had the balls to make such a bad movie.

And I wouldn’t go against a Japanese directors opinion on a mainstream movie.
[/quote]

That does not change my opinion.

Tarantino didn’t make Kill Bill for critical acclaim for the approval or disapproval by fellow peer’s. He made it for himself. And you have to respect that, we were just invited to watch it.

he made it for himself

Ehh…I dont’ think so. I believe one reason Tarantino put the OK on the split was to make it seem more daring, rather than pretentious. So I doubt he made the film going, “Oh man, this movie is all me. ME ME ME ME ME!” I think he made it for the fans…fans of him, and fans of kung fuexploitation filsm that have been dead for twenty years.

I dunno, he did say that that would be too much kill bill in one sitting, but i still think he made it for himself, and for us, the fans. plus i dont thing we wouldve gotten the movie as soon as we did if it was one movie.

did Luc Besson like it? i know him an neo were watching it, and thats when QT thought about him sticking his dick in his Nintendo, but later contradictid himself, by saying that hes never played a video game in his life, so i guess his Nintendo is just a sex box or something. :-/