QT & Violence

Lets face it, QT’s films have a lot of Violence in them. But too much? It’s a very much argued theme. Like the whole, ‘does violence in films have a negative influence on people’ argument that the papers seem to have a lot to say about.

What are your guys thoughts?

[color=navy]I changed the title - Ify

Kill Bill violence was artistic. Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction were more realistic and gangsterish. But I don’t see SO much violence in his films now, when I’ve read about torture, seen Faces Of Death. No film can be more violent than true events are.

this discussion is centuries old. people just can’t get over the fact that violence in QT’s film is cartoonish, over-the-top and not cruel at all. watch The Passion of the christ or Saving Private Ryan and you see what’s REALLY violent

[quote=“MiaMsPink”]
I think it is pretty moronic to say that the violence in KB was artistic. The movie as a whole was amazingly artistic. [/quote]

Well, if you say the whole movie is artistic, then the violence is too, we talked about VIOLENCE and it IS artistic. What’s so moronic there?

Sure there’s violence in QT’s films… but many people sound as if they hadn’t seen any other films at all!

Besides, as I have mentioned somewhere here before, QT’s violence is a means to tell a story about something else…

And as for the violence in movies having a negative effect in the audience… well, all I can say is that the most violent real life recent episodes (yes, the war and all its horrors) haven’t been organized by Tarantino fans…

His films are violent?

Every Tarantino film/script have violence in them because violence is a part of life. You get violence in Disney movies too.

I dont see why people make such a song and dance about the violence in Quentin’s movies. For me it is all part of the beauty of his movies. Most of the characters who get the shit kicked out of them or are killed deserve it one way or the other

Oh god, it’s so stupid. There are even more violent films than QT’s. He’s not sick, Charlie Brown, you are. Watch cartoons.

Ehrm… inquisitor, I don’t think Charlie Brown was stating he’s sick… he just “threw” the topic for discussion.

Besides: “there are even more violent films than QT’s” doesn’t mean his aren’t. Mind you, I see your point and agree… but [especially] being your first post, it’s a bit unfortunate to start calling people sick for no reason. That’s violence.

[quote=“Fatale”]
Every Tarantino film/script have violence in them because violence is a part of life. You get violence in Disney movies too.

I dont see why people make such a song and dance about the violence in Quentin’s movies. For me it is all part of the beauty of his movies. Most of the characters who get the shit kicked out of them or are killed deserve it one way or the other
[/quote]

They say he glorifies violence which is why they are so opposed to him doing violence

[quote=“Big Mans Wife”]
Ehrm… inquisitor, I don’t think Charlie Brown was stating he’s sick… he just “threw” the topic for discussion.

Besides: “there are even more violent films than QT’s” doesn’t mean his aren’t. Mind you, I see your point and agree… but [especially] being your first post, it’s a bit unfortunate to start calling people sick for no reason. That’s violence.
[/quote]

Cheers for backing me up, that’s exactly what I meant, I think QT is one of the most talented directors of our time. I don’t get offended by violence, but some people do!

Inquisitor:

Check out the ‘?’ at the begining of the title, generally meaning it’s a question. My main purpose for asking the question was because I am doing my disseration on QT and needed to get a view at how people consider the violence in his films.

And you obviously didn’t get the Charlie Brown reference. I love my cartoons, doesnt make me a child. (Im 21)

I don’t see how he glorifies violence. In the majority of the movies, the violence is horrific and most often punished with equal violence. Since the violence in Kill Bill is actually vengence, I don’t see it as “glorified”.

When I think of glorified violence, I usually am considering whether or not I would want to be the person responsible for the violent act. In other words, would I want to be Vincent Vega or Mr. White, etc.

Since I started watching his movies, the thought that there was possibly “too much violence” in his films never crossed my mind. It was only after I had seen “all” of his films, that I became aware of people accusing him of having too much violence, and I never understood it. I still don’t. I’ve seen waaayy more violent movies than his! When there is violence in his films, it is part of the story and it adds to the movie. There are some movies where blood and gore are there for no reason. When I think of Quentin Tarantino, the first thoughts that come to mind are good dialogue and good storylines, not glorified violence.

I perseonly like the violents but thats not what QT is all about he is a Genius at what he does his violents are just a small part of it the story is a big thing the script is another the cinematography is one also his direction is a big one too but i was just wondering because some people dont like QTs movies just because there violent and some people cant stand the dialog that he uses in his script but what do you guys think?

I dont really agree that the violence went down. Kill Bill was probally the most violent of them all and thats his newest film. Yes it is more fake. But kill bill actaully had gore in it. Like scene with Go Go and the other asian guy and they were drunk and when she stabbed him and some of his intestants came out. Also when part of Lucy Lu’s head got cut off and her brain was showing. Another one is when uma thurman pulled out Elle Driver’s eye out and the other guys eye out in kill bill volume 1. So there are just as much or more violence in his films now.

wtf are you talking about?

and why do you list all the scenes?

Clown, i dont think youve solved that rubiks cube yet. Go back downstairs

Tarantino’s movies arent any more violent than most movies. And I wouldnt go so far as to say the gore in KB was “artistic”. Just because its spraying out all over the place in an unnatural fashion doesnt mean it is meant to be aesthetically stimulating. Its Intentenionally Over the Top, not Artistic.

I personally wouldve perferred if he did the HOBL scene in a very realistic manner. That could have made the already FUCKING AWESOME scene FUCKING FANTASTICALLY DELICIOUSLY AWESOME.

Anyone can play the moral dickhead anytime he wants, but there’s one thing for certain. Violence can also be both fun and funny when taken in a cinematic context. And QT is the master of making violence fun and funny. Is it morally wrong? I could give a rat’s ass. I just enjoy it, and I’ve never been a threat to anyone in my life. Classification boards exist for a reason.I mean honestly, is there anyone who didn’t at least enjoy watching Uma chop off the legs of the Crazy 88 with “Nobody But Me” playing in the background?

I think I can assure you everybody in this forum did

[quote=“Joseph”]
I think I can assure you everybody in this forum did
[/quote]

Speak for yourself man. Hapless violence with little or no context at all does little for some (particularly me) When i saw people being ripped apart by machine gun fire in Saving private Ryan, or Kids murdering each other left and right in City of God, the one thing that did not cross my mind in any of those movies is "Goodness, that blood is so obviously fake, and “that guy who is juggling that fake limb is such a bad actor” i dont know of many people who were grossed out by the violence in kill bill. Every one i know (including the people on this board) thought the scenes were comedic in a sense. Yet no one was laughing out loud. To me the scenes appeared rather ridiculous and contrived. I still dont see anything stylish about cutting of some ones arm and having her roll around for minutes while fake blood spurts out of the stub!!! May be its my sense of humor but i fail to see the comedic value in that…Perharps i missed the punch line, perharps i missed the ultra deep secret coded message Tarantino was trying to deliver here. (I guess i lost my cool)…All i was thinking about was that scene that other movie where i saw that before, and it was funny that one time, i wasnt going to find it funny this time!!! Give me that scene from Enemy at the Gates, where Zaitsev fires 4 bulllets into 4 nazis… I assure you while watching that scene, the last thing on my mind was, the lighting in the scene or the color of the uniform he wore, or even how un realistic the action sequence was…

The only thing that went through my mind was, “DAMN!!!” that motherfucker is a headshot king (fans of UT can appreciate such authenticity) and last i heard about that scene, thats the only point the director was trying to make

The violence in kill bill did not put me off, my problem was i never got involved in the movie in the first place. I felt more insulted than impressed every time some one sprung a crimson leak!!! Violence in movies when done right is awesome, for me…Mindless blood spewing does nothing for some people. (i never saw The passion of the christ but i think i can safely assume it did not have as much blood, or even 10% of the dismemberment kill bill had) yet, i read of people having heart attacks (i think two people might have died while watching it) and some one was so taken by the movie they drove their car into a river bed…

Perharps some of you may compare and contrast the violence in the two movies so as to understand

the two extremely different reactions peiople had to both movies)