Is Tarantino racist?

I’m a film studies student and for my coursework I am studying whether Tarantino is racist in his film, the main films I am studying are Pulp Fiction, Django Unchained and Jackie Brown. Please let me know your opinions on this topic! Thanks

1 Like

The answer is no, and what even led you to that assumption in the first place?

2 Likes

Some folks didn’t quite get the memo… and of course if you wan’t to write about a “backlash” why not just create one just in case…

If you actually watched these films you’d see that the black-colored characters are actually the more intelligent ones.

And what makes Tarantino racist for giving an honest picture of how things went down during the slavery-era?

2 Likes

Not even crossed my mind.

1 Like

just think about this…
who stays alive in pulp fiction and changes his life embracing a zen philosophy?
who plays everybody in jackie brown (cops and criminals) and succeds in the end?
who gives the strongest “girl power” speech in death proof?
who is fundamental in “basterds” in the plan to kill nazis?
who wins in “django”?
who uncovers all the bullshit in “eight”? in which, by the way, there is one of the most powerful visual representation of black revenge against white supremacy?

2 Likes

Well, is the film Pulp Fiction it would appear Quentin Tarantino may have some racist feelings in his mind because the role of Jimmy does not want any dead niger storage in his house. The word Niger is used very forcefully is this scene though we all know the character of Jules is held in high regard in this movie. As far as Jackie Brown it is a movie about a badass African-American woman. Diango is about a African-American cowboy that saves the day. So no I don’t think Quentin is a racist at all.

2 Likes

Just keep in mind: Quentin =/= Jimmy

1 Like

Tarrantino gives an option for blacks to be seen as people given the same opportunities as others in those eras exploring what may have happened when that black person has a little power. Just pure fantasy I absolutely love it

1 Like

What is the “powerful visual representation of black revenge against white supremacy”? It’s been a while since I saw that movie so I’m curious what scene you’re talking about.

However, I don’t think Jimmy is racist either. Yes, he uses the word “nigger,” but have you noticed a pattern in that movie? Pretty much EVERYONE uses that word, and the only ones who are really racist are Zed and Maynard. And someone who is racist would not be best friends with a black person, let alone MARRIED TO ONE (Bonny is shown to be black in the hypothetical scenario of her coming home and discovering the dealing with Marvin’s body).

Remember this, written by “young” Tarantino, what was his first serious gig back in 1993 - character Clifford Worley speech, intended to draw audience sympathy with him and even total agreement in given circumstances and context, and total contempt for character Coccotti :

Ya know, I read a lot. Especially about things… about history. I find that shit fascinating. Here’s a fact I don’t know whether you know or not. Sicilians were spawned by niggers. It’s a fact. Yeah. You see, uh, Sicilians have, uh, black blood pumpin’ through their hearts. Hey, no, if eh, if eh, if you don’t believe me, uh, you can look it up. Hundreds and hundreds of years ago, uh, you see, uh, the Moors conquered Sicily. And the Moors are niggers. So you see, way back then, uh, Sicilians were like, uh, wops from Northern Italy. Ah, they all had blonde hair and blue eyes, but, uh, well, then the Moors moved in there, and uh, well, they changed the whole country. They did so much fuckin’ with Sicilian women, huh? That they changed the whole bloodline forever. That’s why blonde hair and blue eyes became black hair and dark skin. You know, it’s absolutely amazing to me to think that to this day, hundreds of years later, that, uh, that Sicilians still carry that nigger gene.