Official Homework and term-paper question topic

General Quentin Tarantino talk

Please help!:)

Postby B.J. » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:49 am

hi,
I'm Judit from Hungary, Budapest. so the thing is that currently I'm working on my thesis (I learn communication and media at the Corvinus University of Budapest), and my topic is the representation of woman in Q T's films. and I'd like to ask for some help :-*
please answer these questions! ;)
1: Your gender:

according to your oppinion...
2: Are the "tough women" characters in Quentin Tarantino's movies (Kill BIll, 2nd part of Death Proof) good representations of the female gender? : Yes/No

3: Is it possible to view a 'strong' female character as a feminist predilection? : Yes/No

4: Is it degrading for women to bear male characteristics? : Yes/No

Thank you for your assistance!
whatever with your however!
B.J.
Cowardly Lion

Re: Please help!:)

Postby Eastern Beauty » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:17 pm

2. Yes
3. No
4. No

*1. I think it's pretty obvious ;)
http://www.carmitbachar.my1.ru                                   http://www.ryazanov.my1.ru
Eastern Beauty
Fucking Professional

Postby Ify » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:21 pm

B.J. wrote:hi,
I'm Judit from Hungary, Budapest. so the thing is that currently I'm working on my thesis (I learn communication and media at the Corvinus University of Budapest), and my topic is the representation of woman in Q T's films. and I'd like to ask for some help :-*
please answer these questions! ;)

2: Are the "tough women" characters in Quentin Tarantino's movies (Kill BIll, 2nd part of Death Proof) good representations of the female gender? : Yes/No

3: Is it possible to view a 'strong' female character as a feminist predilection? : Yes/No

We have a homework topic.  :)

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT
Ify
Fucking Professional

Postby Sebastian » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:52 pm

B.J. wrote:1: Your gender:

1. m
2. yes
3. possible yes, but i dont think its the case here
4. no
Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Re: Official Homework and term-paper question topic

Postby nublob » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:48 pm

1. f
2. yes and no  Some of the strong female characters are good representations of the female gender like the Bride for instance or Jackie Brown.  I don't necessarily think that all the strong female characters are good though Elle Driver for instance or O-Ren Isshi who were strong yes in a way but seemed to be devoid of any moral core.  I don't think you could define Elle as being good or a person a woman would want to pattern herself after. 
3. Yes. I think in general you could but not in Tarantino's films.  His female characters tend to be strong  like men  but I don't think that shows a feminist predilection in his work.  I don't think he really understands what it means to be a feminist.
4. No but what do you define as being a male characteristic..
Last edited by nublob on Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nublob
Basterd

Postby Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:05 am

Female

Yes

Yes

Fuck No!  Unless it's like a mustache or a cock or something.
"That's it.  Like my old Granddaddy used to always say, the less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect." - QT- Four Rooms
Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Is DP among others shaping and creating cultures behaviour towards women?

Postby tanya2612 » Sun May 10, 2009 2:09 pm

Hey just wanted to raise the issue of how in the first half of the movie women seems to be placed in a subordinate position to men. This is a theme which seems to run through horror movies such as Captivity, hostel, etc. What would you say as a cultural object which would link these films together as a possible symbolism to relate this to, and in what way. Maybe cars! Not sure. Whadya think?

P.S. I am not a feminist, just a student trying to get a discussion going for research purposes.
???
Last edited by Ify on Sun May 10, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tanya2612
Cowardly Lion

Postby cyber-lili » Sun May 10, 2009 6:35 pm

Ahah. Wouldn't be that bad to be a feminist.  :P

Are you doing a paper on the general issue or focused on Tarantino's work ? Cause if it ain't 100% Tarantino, you won't get much replies here on a Tarantino board...
cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Postby MonolithNZ » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:54 am

Hi there guys.

I'm currently doing a research assignment, which is based on the idea of making 3 research questions on a genre or author/director which will help to expand my understanding of my chosen topic and develop judgments. I have of course chosen Tarantino as he is awesome.

I need to choose 4-5 of his movies, and come up with my 3 questions.

I've thought it would make more sense to create my questions first and then choose my texts based on them. The questions need to be open ended, and it would make it much easier if they were quite relevant to his films.

Ideas so far:

1.To what extent does the context influence the director?

2.What are the common features in his films? - needs to be more open ended.

3. What do the key relationships shown in texts reveal about the director?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

MonolithNZ
Cowardly Lion

Postby ZedsDeadBaby » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:41 pm

Hello everybody,

I seem to be the umpteenth person here posting about an essay or research, but I'm doing my dissertation on Tarantino fandom, and how Tarantino fans see themselves and what it means to be a fan. I've narrowed it down to fans of Pulp Fiction, but I really need all Tarantino fans' opinions. You can either do a two part survey (which takes no longer than two minutes) or volunteer to be interviewed (which would be awesome!) So yeah, here's the survey:

Part 1: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WNCZTFG
Part 2: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WPTLF9X

Thanks so much in advance!!
ZedsDeadBaby
Cowardly Lion

Postby ZedsDeadBaby » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:43 pm

Hello everybody,

I seem to be the umpteenth person here posting about an essay or research, but I'm doing my dissertation on Tarantino fandom, and how Tarantino fans see themselves and what it means to be a fan. I've narrowed it down to fans of Pulp Fiction, but I really need all Tarantino fans' opinions. You can either do a two part survey (which takes no longer than two minutes) or volunteer to be interviewed (which would be awesome!) So yeah, here's the survey:

Part 1: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WNCZTFG
Part 2: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WPTLF9X

Thanks so much in advance!!
ZedsDeadBaby
Cowardly Lion

Previous

Return to The Tarantino Universe