From something huge to something, not as huge

I have recently been writing something for the Sundance Director’s Lab and in the process of writing the thing I realized what started out as a simple story of diners and average people in extraordinary circumstances became something much bigger, say the difference between Hard Eight and Magnolia.

As i wrote it, it became abundantly clear to me that this is a story that I care about and that would ultimately get made if it was the last thing I did on the face of the earth. But It’s big. Which is funny because it’s really in the genre of the one day epic and and only happens in, well one day. But I need a mother fucking break.

I’ve recently been bitten by the indie bug and have become obsessed with the idea of doing a small short film shot over a long weekend with local actors and cut together on my home computer. I already have an idea for what it’d be about and even a few actors I’ve met and have a strong interest in working with. But I need some perspective on how to do it. I’m very aware of how others have gotten small films done but I think maybe some fresh ideas could get the ball rolling on this.

And when the balls been rolled and alls done i have a feeling that could really attack this script of mine with renewed passion. I have the story down pat but I have writing fatigue, and i couldn’t give the story and characters I’ve come to know and love over this one day all the attention and caring they need to really be something special without being at one hundred and ten percent. And that’s the only way I’m gonna do it, at one hundred and ten percent.

Thoughts?

you went to the sundance director’s lab? awesome, how was it?

I think you should take it one step at a time. If you’re gonna write and direct than just focus on pumping out the best script you can. And don’t expect it to be 110% either… at least not right away. It’s pretty common for the first three or four drafts to suck, but once you get it all on the page it’s a lot easier to slowly mold it into something amazing.

[quote=“tonyanthony”]
you went to the sundance director’s lab? awesome, how was it?
[/quote]

sorry to disappoint my man but I haven’t been, I’m writing something to get in. But I’ll tell you what, the second I do get in, you’ll be the first to know.

[quote=“Dex”]
I think you should take it one step at a time. If you’re gonna write and direct than just focus on pumping out the best script you can. And don’t expect it to be 110% either… at least not right away. It’s pretty common for the first three or four drafts to suck, but once you get it all on the page it’s a lot easier to slowly mold it into something amazing.
[/quote]

shit, your popping up everywhere. Thanks for giving a lowly rambler your time.

But the thing is that in writing this huge fucking thing, for lack a better description, I get very beat down by it. I know there’s something pretty damn good if I just wrestle my way through to the end but I need to go at it with a renewed vigor. And what better way than to do something movie related that’ll give me a taste of working with actors and running a little horse and pony show for a weekend. To take a break without really taking a break you know?

What’s the story about ? Or the genre ? Or the atmosphere, style ?

[quote=“cyber-lili”]
What’s the story about ? Or the genre ? Or the atmosphere, style ?
[/quote]

I’ve kept pretty tight lipped about the story (once it’s done I’d be happy to post a link to it or something like that where people could check it out) but the genre is one that I kind of stumbled upon in the course of writing it was the one day epic which I feel doesn’t really get the kind of recognition it should because when it’s pulled off the results are pretty fuckin’ spectacular.

One of the really cool things about writing it has been that I have a very set story and tone to it but through the characters and the shenanigans they get into I can really explore different genres in an interesting way. Some characters are very reminiscent of the spaghetti western, one is like out of the teen comedy, another is like from a seventies cop movie where it’s the hard nosed cop that doesn’t play by the rules and all that and then messing with it. I’m really quit proud of it whether it’s as good as i imagine it or not.

Don’t know if that answered your questions but there’s still some things that won’t work there way out until the story comes to a close and I put the pen down. (Hopefully by march 25, my birthday, that’d be a really cool thing if I happen to finish it then.)

How far along are you so far? What’s your page count?

[quote=“Dex”]
How far along are you so far? What’s your page count?
[/quote]

bout three and a half of those jumbo sized legal pads and a couple of typed scenes I was playing with. Feels like a little more than the half way point.

And you know what? Talking about it to people has kind juiced me up, I stayed up till about six last night (morning) splayed out on my bed writing.

Thought: earlier I saw Sleep With Me for the first time and i was pleasantly surprised to find I was enjoying the fuck out of it. I popped it in for Quentin, I was hooked by everything else. A really cool 90s love story.