I want to do this when I'm older...

Everything related to screenwriting, movie making, technical knowledge, editing, kameras....
Mister Green
Cowardly Lion

I want to do this when I'm older...

Post by Mister Green » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:45 pm

So...

I want to become a director when I'm grown up. I've decided this is what I want to do with my life. I have alot of ideas for movies, and one I can't stop thinking about. I'm thinking I might even write a screenplay soon. But, how do I prepare myself so I can pursue this as a career? I know first I have to work in a Video Store (joke...lulz). Any suggestions?

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Re: I want to do this when I'm older...

Post by cyber-lili » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:59 pm

There are no recipe to become a director. You can either enter a filmschool, either not and find shootings on your own. You can shoot movies with your mini-DV camera, either not and wait for a producer to give you money to direct a proper 16mm or 35mm short or length feature. You can either bu rich, lucky, talented, carreerist...

Dex
Fucking Professional

Post by Dex » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:20 pm

Study the art and do your best to make friends with people who share your passion. I think your best bet is to get whatever camera you can and just start filming things. It doesn't necessarily have to be a short film or anything like that, just get used to seeing through a lens. Like cyber-lili said though, there's no magic recipe for breaking into the business.

As far as writing a screenplay goes there's tons of sites that'll teach you how to write them. My personal favorite is screenwriting.info but there's a thread in here with a bunch of links. http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.p ... 798.0.html
"I'm a preacher with no pulpit. Spewing a sermon that goes on and on and on."

Mister Green
Cowardly Lion

Post by Mister Green » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:52 am

well right now, I'm only 15 and the closest I have to any of the things you two just said is making youtube videos with my freinds (skecth comedy sort of thing). BUt, is there anything i can do now to prepare? Like taking some certain classes in High School?

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:15 am

Creative writing is a good class to take, if your school offers it.  Speech, or public speaking is also very good for someone that wants to direct, and wants to be able to sell their work to studios/producers.  Art classes don't hurt either.  If you can make your own storyboards, it's a very convenient skill to have. 

You should order a couple of screenwriting books.  Or go to the library, I'm sure they have some.  Just to help you learn proper format.  However, if you're going to write/direct, then you can even do it without a properly formatted screenplay. 

Just do what you can with your camera now.  And make sure you keep your grades up in school so that you can have a good shot at getting into a film school after you graduate.
"That's it.  Like my old Granddaddy used to always say, the less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect." - QT- Four Rooms

Dex
Fucking Professional

Post by Dex » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:26 am

Mister Green wrote: well right now, I'm only 15 and the closest I have to any of the things you two just said is making youtube videos with my freinds (skecth comedy sort of thing). BUt, is there anything i can do now to prepare? Like taking some certain classes in High School?
That's not a bad start. Just getting out there and doing stuff is a great way to learn. Not sure what courses your high school has but I remember back in my day we had a class where our final project was making a short film. I think it was called Multimedia Art or something like that.

Cpt tonyanthony
Fucking Professional

Post by Cpt tonyanthony » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:02 pm

www.wordplayer.com
a screenwriting column, i'm not sure it's very usefull, but it's fun reading though.

Mister Green
Cowardly Lion

Post by Mister Green » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:58 am

Well, next year in my sophmore year I plan on taking Speech/Debate and then in junior year Im taking Creative Writing for sure, maybe even sophmore year if it's possible I can change it. And about the camera...I don't have one just yet. When me and my freinds did the youtube stuff, we worked on a pretty shitty camera. I'm hopfully going to start a screenplay/script sort of thing soon  ;D

And thanks to you guys for the help....it's been more help then my parents, lol.

armstrong
Kiddo

Post by armstrong » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:28 pm

Dont Wait man :) I'm 19 and I shot 3 short film by now. I take Tarantino as my model , so you dont need to working Video Store Market or anything else. Every Short Film of you is a step of the long ladder man :) when you reach final step you can become a director so contiune shooting with your Mini-Dv camera

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

Noir_Fiction
Basterd

Post by Noir_Fiction » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:39 pm

As long as you have a vision, a style and an idea you're a director. Don't listen to people telling you you have to shoot big studio projects to be considered a director. Like everyone will tell you, buy a camera, write a script and shoot. The easiest thing in the world is finding actors. Read books, get into the head of filmmakers who influence you, find your own style, don't be a carbon copy of any director, watch movies and you'll find your voice.

Mister Green
Cowardly Lion

Post by Mister Green » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:49 pm

i just started on a script. Hopefully i'll follow through and finish it all. and thank you all for the advice!

Noir_Fiction
Basterd

Post by Noir_Fiction » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:01 am

What's the premise?

Mister Green
Cowardly Lion

Post by Mister Green » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:29 am

well, i dont want to seem like a dick, but im keeping the whole scrpit thing private. not just from people on this site, but pretty much from my family and freinds. In fact, i even have a flash drive that i save it on, and then i hide it...lol is that werid?

i will tell you im using True Romace kind of as an inspiration.

Noir_Fiction
Basterd

Post by Noir_Fiction » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:02 am

Mister Green wrote: well, i dont want to seem like a dick, but im keeping the whole scrpit thing private. not just from people on this site, but pretty much from my family and freinds. In fact, i even have a flash drive that i save it on, and then i hide it...lol is that werid?

i will tell you im using True Romace kind of as an inspiration.
Not at all, I can be secretive about my writing, but I've learned that it's not helpful to the process. No matter how hard you may try you cannot see your work objectively, it's one of the reasons a lot of crap is put out. And a word of advice, if you're using True Romance as an inspiration, make sure your own ideas are the forefront and not shunted aside otherwise you end up like one of the many Tarantino mimics who came out of the woodworks in the 90's.

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:34 am

Yeah, I hide like ALL my shit, dude.  I don't even let my friends read it.  And my family doesn't care,, cept for my dad.  But he's a brilliant writer, and I'm scared of what he'll say about it, so I don't let him read it either.  But, definitely keep it under wraps.
"That's it.  Like my old Granddaddy used to always say, the less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect." - QT- Four Rooms

Noir_Fiction
Basterd

Post by Noir_Fiction » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:57 am

Geoi wrote: Yeah, I hide like ALL my shit, dude.  I don't even let my friends read it.  And my family doesn't care,, cept for my dad.  But he's a brilliant writer, and I'm scared of what he'll say about it, so I don't let him read it either.  But, definitely keep it under wraps.
Doesn't it make it kind of pointless to write but not to let others read it? I mean, if you're not comfortable with the quality that's one thing, but if you care about what others might think, you should get into a new field. Unless of course your writing is just personal, you know, cathartic

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:07 am

Haha, right you are, sir.  I don't feel that what I've written, in the form of scripts, is anything special.  I usually start out so proud and excited about it, then lose it somewhere along the line and start another one.  I am so working on something special right now though!  ;D ;D ;D

(And yes, most of it is just therapeutic...  But not all of it)

Dex
Fucking Professional

Post by Dex » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:46 pm

I'm pretty sure all my scripts would be as shitty as the first one was if I hadn't joined various writing communities and let them tell me how shitty it was.  It's really the only way to learn, because it's very hard to look at your own work objectively.

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:33 pm

My problem is just finishing something correctly.  I mean, they all start off fairly good, but like I said, I lose interest, or get distracted by another project.  The ones I have finished are mostly shite because you can totally tell that I just quit caring, and just wrote shit down to get it done.  But I agree, writing groups are good.  I've hung around them a lot in the past.

Noir_Fiction
Basterd

Post by Noir_Fiction » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:10 pm

Geoi wrote: My problem is just finishing something correctly.  I mean, they all start off fairly good, but like I said, I lose interest, or get distracted by another project.  The ones I have finished are mostly shite because you can totally tell that I just quit caring, and just wrote shit down to get it done.  But I agree, writing groups are good.  I've hung around them a lot in the past.
Just watched True Romance with the Tarantino commentary and he said the same thing used to happen to him, happens to me too. It really stems from people wanting to just write, not to tell a specific story that they're burning to tell.

Dex
Fucking Professional

Post by Dex » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:32 pm

That's the way I used to be too. Lately I've gotten better at balancing multiple projects. I'm usually writing at least three things at a time all in various stages. So, like, I'll be writing an hour long tv show as my "priority project" but when I get stuck on a scene or something I'll start mapping out the next episode, or I'll be working on a treatment for a full-length script.

I'm actually in a weird place right now. The "network" that hosted my series has gone under which has left me with little to no motivation to write. I used to be able to pump out an episode a week, now I'm lucky to get a page done a day.

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:42 am

Dex wrote: That's the way I used to be too. Lately I've gotten better at balancing multiple projects. I'm usually writing at least three things at a time all in various stages. So, like, I'll be writing an hour long tv show as my "priority project" but when I get stuck on a scene or something I'll start mapping out the next episode, or I'll be working on a treatment for a full-length script.

I'm actually in a weird place right now. The "network" that hosted my series has gone under which has left me with little to no motivation to write. I used to be able to pump out an episode a week, now I'm lucky to get a page done a day.
Maybe you should try just writing, whatever comes to mind just to keep your mind in shape and maybe you'll even come across an idea or story that your passionate to tell and then it just kind of pours out of you.
Ordell Robbie. O-R-D-E-L-L R-O-B-B-I-E. 1436 Florence Boulevard. Compton 90222.

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:47 am

Dex wrote: I'm pretty sure all my scripts would be as shitty as the first one was if I hadn't joined various writing communities and let them tell me how shitty it was.  It's really the only way to learn, because it's very hard to look at your own work objectively.
You know what I've started to doing is whenever I get serious about writing something I just write, never looking back on it until a while has past. It helps to look at things with more objectivity yourself so you can really keep just telling the story instead of getting self conscious if someone tell you it blows and you don't really feel the passion to write because, hey, someone told you it blows. You can fix what's shit, you can't fix it if you never wrote it out.

Dex
Fucking Professional

Post by Dex » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:30 pm

You know what I've started to doing is whenever I get serious about writing something I just write, never looking back on it until a while has past. It helps to look at things with more objectivity yourself so you can really keep just telling the story instead of getting self conscious if someone tell you it blows and you don't really feel the passion to write because, hey, someone told you it blows. You can fix what's shit, you can't fix it if you never wrote it out.
I tend to not show people anything until it's between drafts. When they point out the faults I either discard them because "the critic didn't understand what I was doing" I write it down and use it when I start on the next draft. I think people telling you where you fall short is a good motivator. If criticism kills your motivation than you're probly not cut out to be a writer.
Maybe you should try just writing, whatever comes to mind just to keep your mind in shape and maybe you'll even come across an idea or story that your passionate to tell and then it just kind of pours out of you.
I've never been a big fan of that. I need structure when I'm writing.

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:40 pm

Dex wrote: I tend to not show people anything until it's between drafts. When they point out the faults I either discard them because "the critic didn't understand what I was doing" I write it down and use it when I start on the next draft. I think people telling you where you fall short is a good motivator. If criticism kills your motivation than you're probly not cut out to be a writer.

Right on. It's just that in writing I can take criticism better when something is more complete and closer to being finished. If you've given something enough time and attention then no amount of criticism in the world could kill your motivation.

But I've definitely learned to take criticism like a man when before I'd openly be a bitch about it. "This is a masterpiece and you don't know art!" and shit like that.

Mister Green
Cowardly Lion

Post by Mister Green » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:01 am

damn, alot of people commetned lol. Anyways, I kind of stopped the script, but I plan on finishing it. I mean, i got my whole life to finish it since I'm only in high school and right now I plan on trying to go into film school. Right now, I just carry a notebook around and when ever i think of an idea, i just jot it down. My family hasn't noticed and only a couple freinds have asked me about it...they think it's a diary or some shit, haha.

I don't really know if I'll show my family or freinds the script, or even tell them about it, but I plan on getting some feedback from one a freind, or maybe I'll post it on one of those Script sites. who knows..

Noir_Fiction
Basterd

Post by Noir_Fiction » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:10 am

Dex wrote:

I'm the complete opposite. I don't even make notes, I store my ideas in my head. I kind of come up with the main plot points and the characters and specific scenes and sequences and I sit down and just let it all come out. See what sticks. Then I go back and fix what doesn't work. I find it feels far less contrived when it's written in the moment. People who structure a lot of the time tend to have stilted dialogue that just fells over wrought.  And I'm veyr happy with my method, recently been shooting a short and I'm so proud of the dialogue, it sounds great on film... not to toot my own horn :P

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:50 am

Noir_Fiction wrote: I'm the complete opposite. I don't even make notes, I store my ideas in my head. I kind of come up with the main plot points and the characters and specific scenes and sequences and I sit down and just let it all come out. See what sticks. Then I go back and fix what doesn't work. I find it feels far less contrived when it's written in the moment. People who structure a lot of the time tend to have stilted dialogue that just fells over wrought.  And I'm veyr happy with my method, recently been shooting a short and I'm so proud of the dialogue, it sounds great on film... not to toot my own horn :P
Just how I do it. Plus i really enjoy shit just coming to me which never happened when I tried the structured method (just once outta curiosity). at that point it just felt to me like i was filling in blanks.

But holy shit your doing a short, tell me all you can, that's pretty cool.

Dex
Fucking Professional

Post by Dex » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:11 am

I tend to spend months writing notes and breaking down my characters and my stories before I even get to the script stage. For everything I've written (and a bunch of stuff I haven't) I've got "series bibles" full of character's back stories, current stories and future stories. I've got full biographies for characters I've never actually used in anything. I kind of think of it as my "bag of tricks". If I need a character chances are I've got one lying around somewhere.

Anytime I try to write a script without a solid plan I end up with a "wandering script". I don't have the memory to just keep it in my head and I end up writing myself into holes. Doesn't really affect my dialogue (not sure why it would), which I tend to think is what I'm best at. Dialogue is something I very rarely plan a head of time. I pretty much just write detailed treatments giving each scene a goal. I usually have no idea how I'm going to accomplish that goal until I get to the script stage though.

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:58 am

Dex wrote: I tend to spend months writing notes and breaking down my characters and my stories before I even get to the script stage. For everything I've written (and a bunch of stuff I haven't) I've got "series bibles" full of character's back stories, current stories and future stories. I've got full biographies for characters I've never actually used in anything. I kind of think of it as my "bag of tricks". If I need a character chances are I've got one lying around somewhere.

Anytime I try to write a script without a solid plan I end up with a "wandering script". I don't have the memory to just keep it in my head and I end up writing myself into holes. Doesn't really affect my dialogue (not sure why it would), which I tend to think is what I'm best at. Dialogue is something I very rarely plan a head of time. I pretty much just write detailed treatments giving each scene a goal. I usually have no idea how I'm going to accomplish that goal until I get to the script stage though.

it sounds like you've written quite a bit, have you posted any of your stuff on the board I'm interested to see some of it.