Video Editing Computer Help

My computer i edit on now is sorta aged and not the fastest computer so im looking in investing in a new one. I decided i want a laptop tp save space. Here are the specifics can anyone who is good about computers tell if this would be fast with video editing.

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9500 (2.6GHz/800Mhz FSB, 6MB Cache)

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1

MEMORY 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)

HARD DRIVE Speed: 320GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) with Free Fall Sensor

INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write)

VIDEO CARD 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT

What format will you be shooting with, Mini DV or HD?

Mini Dv should be fine and I’d say it would be around borderline for HD.

Yeah, seems fine for mini DV. But you might have some space problem if you shoot and upload a lot on your computer. Digital video with native coding takes A LOT of space. Get an external harddrive cause for example it’s safer to save a copy of everything you edit (one on your laptop harddrive and one on an external harddrive, in case your computer fails during the editing).

[quote=“cyber-lili”]
Yeah, seems fine for mini DV. But you might have some space problem if you shoot and upload a lot on your computer. Digital video with native coding takes A LOT of space. Get an external harddrive cause for example it’s safer to save a copy of everything you edit (one on your laptop harddrive and one on an external harddrive, in case your computer fails during the editing).
[/quote]

yeah thats right. i have a canon hv30 hi-def camera and under an hour of footage took up around 7gb…if you’re looking to buy a laptop that’s not custom made i’d recommend the Dell XPS M1730…its what i use…its around top of the line so it was costly but it does the job well…one of its advantages is it has two hard disks with RAID0 technology (google). But that’s considering its HD not DV

The only good laptop for editing, video and stuff like that, is the PowerBook. Really.

i went with a desktop im on it right now ;D

Intel Core2 processor Q9400(2.66Ghz, 1333FSB) w/QuadCore Tech and 6MB cache 375W Power Supply

4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz

256MB Radeon HD 2600 XT

500GB NCQ Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM) w/ 16MB DataBurst Cache

edits insanely fast. Renders at around -3 to -4 the amount of the video. Example if the video is 30 minutes long it only takes 8-10 minutes to render. Really happy with this pc.