Music

I’m trying to figure out what you need to get permission to use certain songs in a movie. (ie. what kind of forms to you need, where do you get them, who do you talk to.). Thanks.

hm, I think it depends from country to country…

Maybe you can post from which country you want the information, That would make it easier to check it out!

U.S.A.

Before you figure out where you are going to get the forms and paperwork, let me ask you this;

Do you have between 100,000-5,000,000 dollars?

This is the price range for music use in films, the more popular the aritist, the more money its gonna take to get their permission to use their song.

IF you’re talking about low unknown bands from your town ect, just ask/e-mail/write them and I bet they’d be thrilled you want to use their music for your film…and its a chance they’d let you use it for free.

Don’t expect to get rights to a Madonna or Michael Jackson song, those would cost millions.

You could also have a composer compose your film, lots out there work 4 very cheap, and sometimes free

[quote]Before you figure out where you are going to get the forms and paperwork, let me ask you this;

Do you have between 100,000-5,000,000 dollars?

This is the price range for music use in films, the more popular the aritist, the more money its gonna take to get their permission to use their song.

IF you’re talking about low unknown bands from your town ect, just ask/e-mail/write them and I bet they’d be thrilled you want to use their music for your film…and its a chance they’d let you use it for free.

Don’t expect to get rights to a Madonna or Michael Jackson song, those would cost millions.

You could also have a composer compose your film, lots out there work 4 very cheap, and sometimes free[/quote]

Damn

Get an Agent first, and discuss that with him.

Does all that copyright stuff still matter if the film is for non-comercial use, without bringing in any money.

My friends and I have made a number of short films, (15-30 min. long) but we do them for us. We don’t want to profit from them. The most we want to do with them is put them on the Cable Access Channel. We’ve used music from video games/ anime/ westerns/ and bands from The Doors to songs from Tarantino soundtracks.

I’d really like to show them online, but I don’t really have a way to put them on my computer. They’re not digital.

its been said that if you can find a song that was made 75 years ago its free.

use popular (or non) orchestraic pieces from low key labels, and they wont give a shit, and it would be hard to tell which record label its coming from when twenty other ensembles (at least!) have recored the same 5th symphony of beethoven

[quote=“killerinstinct”]
its been said that if you can find a song that was made 75 years ago its free.
[/quote]

If someone owns the rights, it doesn’t matter how old the song is.

[quote=“Wil”]
I’m trying to figure out what you need to get permission to use certain songs in a movie. (ie. what kind of forms to you need, where do you get them, who do you talk to.). Thanks.
[/quote]

I could make movie music for you. I am not John Williams or Ennio Morricone, but it douse not suck.

This was originally posted over four years ago. That dude’s gone. In fact, everyone who’s posted a reply is gone as well.