How does it work?

I was always wondering…I realy don’t know jack shit about how to make a movie,I’m just a big movie freak and have practicaly only eye for detail,acting and the story of a film.But I always wondered how you write script? I mean…you got to have a story in mind right…so do you first write a story and then a script or…help me out here please.maybe I can write a script or something.I’m an amateur writer myself but haven’t been active the past…5 years or something,so plz…tell me.

Everybody writes scripts in a different way. The way i do it is i think of my story and brainstorm it, then i create the beginning, middle and end, then i create the main characters and then i write!

What I do is come up with one scene that shows everthing about the movie. Then I work around that one scene, referencing it for tone, style, voice, etc.

- you have an idea

• you build up on the idea until you have the story in your head.
  • you start writing the entire story down
  • then you start the script

FADE UP ON

EXT. GAS STATION - TEXAS - AFTERNOON

A sherriff’s patrol car pulls into the parking lot. A SHERRIF exits the car, and cracks his knees, then enters the Gas Station.

CUT TO

INT: GAS STATION

The SHERRIF approaches the counter. PETE stands behind the counter.

PETE

Hey man what can I do for ya?

SHERRIF

It’s a hot godammn motherfucking day…

I usually have an idea then talk about to people and when I talk about it I get more ideas for a story. SO then it on its own takes shape. Then when I think I got enough ideas in my head for the story I start writing it down on paper. Then when Im done with that. I type it up on my computer and edit it as I go along. Thats been my best way so far. Then when you film a bunch more ideas go by your head to make.

SO yeah.

i plan a new website that deals partially with movie-making. i am looking forward to having discussions there about story-develloping

[quote]i plan a new website that deals partially with movie-making. i am looking forward to having discussions there about story-develloping[/quote]

That’ll be great! :slight_smile:

damn man that would be fucken awesome. I always look around for websites were they talk about their little films or stories. I cant wait for yours.

[quote]i plan a new website that deals partially with movie-making. i am looking forward to having discussions there about story-develloping[/quote]

I thought you already did one a long time ago. But maybe it was some other guy, I dunno. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it.

Ok I dicidet to make a script,never done it before,but i’d like to find out if I got any hidden talents.

How long do you guys take to make a script??

Sorry…but…

How do you come up with a title for a script? It happens afterwards right,that seems more obvious…

The title can happen before or after. like when I write my scripts, I usually have half of the damn thing planned out before I actually start putting THE SCRIPT together.

it takes me like anywhere from a few days to a year to write a script.

[quote]Ok I dicidet to make a script,never done it before,but i’d like to find out if I got any hidden talents.

How long do you guys take to make a script??[/quote]

Step 1: Learn how to spell decided (J/K).

Step 2: Mine take between a couple of weeks and a few months, depending on how long and all. There’s no real set time limit to how long it should take; each writer’s different.

I found the hardest part of the writing process is actually coming up with the idea for a script or story itself.  To overcome this, I just write down random scenes that really don’t have to make a whole lot of sense.  However, what this does is, it gives you opportunities to come up with ideas based on what you’ve written.  Just go from there. ÂÂ

Remember, writing is a talent that takes a lot of practice, just like anything else.  Not having anything to write about isn’t an excuse for not writing.  Practice, practice, practice.

[quote]To overcome this, I just write down random scenes that really don’t have to make a whole lot of sense. However, what this does is, it gives you opportunities to come up with ideas based on what you’ve written. Just go from there.[/quote]

Excellent approach, I also tried it but I failed miserably. I am just overwhelmed by the prejudice that my story will go into 5,000 directions at least. The long writing process doesn’t help it much. I get even more tempted to alter the story or add another totally arbitrary scene, especially because I am so influenced by the movies I see during this time.

[quote]Remember, writing is a talent that takes a lot of practice, just like anything else. Not having anything to write about isn’t an excuse for not writing. Practice, practice, practice.[/quote]
True. I think I have to chain myself to a desk in order to make me practise every day.

Hell, I tried to start lightly with short stories, same problem as I described above. So I set myself the goal to start with ideas from existing material and tried to write my own version so I’d have to follow a certain outline. I managed to write a few pages, called it “A Day in Alice’s life” (it’s an homage to Lewis Carrol’s “Alice in Wonderland” and “Through the looking Glass”).

Since this worked, I think I am going to continue with a Western parody a la “Blazzing Saddles”.

Maybe I will put the lame results of my Carrol imitation online lateron. I know, I lack “the attitude” necessary but with only a few pages of ripped-off ideas in the damn long time span of 1 month it’s hard to believe otherwise. Also, my native tongue is German, so bear with my English…

To be honest, personally I think that you’ve gotta just learn everything you can about screenwriting, then read as many scripts as possible - so you get the format, unique qualities that a screenplay has, seperates it from novels etc etc. Then it’s a whole lot easier to fill 90 pages, know how, even feel it. When I first tried writing a feature like most people you hear about, got stuck only twenty to sixty pages and usually a mess. No one story, more many stuck together as I didn’t understand, know how to structure and pad if you want.

• I put that all down, just cause Cipher you say you been inactive for a bit, but I kinda sensed you didn’t write screenplays.

Ideas wise, I differ slightly from everyone’s I’ve read here, cause I usually got a character, and just see where he’s natural - so I mean my story usually builds on a basic idea, then as you go, rethink things you get a bigger web, more depth and it doesn’t even have to be in order, something you think of for one scene, just a small detail you know, could lead to this side scene or whatever further on.

Think Dr. Gonzo said up there, he don’t like to alter the story, why not? I mean (I say this alot) if it’s changing even the whole original idea, why not? The original idea is just that, the start of an idea, expanding it and being as sometimes writers go over top on is “honest” to the characters/world which you write in, is what makes writing so exciting and great.

So back to writing process, then I might have a sequence I’d be working on with another character, totally seperate and somehow it works into the story, not patched on but cause your just building, but fits right in, I mean the character just changes, it’s like he reveals his true self, I thought he was one thing, but he ain’t.

For me it’s characters I guess that dictates story.

Hope it helps.

Side note, writing scripts what I do is just write any scene that I feel doing, I give myself a month to do first draft, first draft though I mean parts of the script ain’t gonna add up as I’m always making minor, but major in the sense a coupla of scene gonna be needed to be re-written. Brief example, no explantion, but at the moment I got a story, a side plot - so on my typewriter I type up the side plot, work on it that way and then I’ve got my book which the main plot is written in with notes and story notes etc. It’s like cross referencing the two, both main plots in there own rights…

Anyway, help this ramblings helps ya.

watch some movie genres that you’re into or listen to some music. sometimes, listening to one song gives you the inspiration for a really cool scene, then just create the story around that one scene. Sorry if it doesn’t work :’(But then again, every person’s way of writing is different 8)

By the by, if you’re looking on how to format or write a script, don’t read any of Quentin’s.

Quentin is a better story teller than he is a writer.  I used to think he was a great writer, but as I have grown as a writer myself, I honestly think he’s not that great.  Given, he’s good at developing characters through dialogue, but that’s all.  Though the fact he’s able to do that so well is amazing, because to contrary to popular belief among Tarantino-esque writers, character development doesn’t come from bar-room conversations.  More is revealed about a particular character when he is forced to make decisions under pressure, than smalltalk ever will.

However, just because Quentin can pull off such an amazing thing, and do it well doesn’t make him a good WRITER.  Anyone that has to describe anything as, “Motherfuckin’ HUGE!” In the action of a screenplay shows one thing.

I know I’m going to get flamed for this, but let’s face it:  Quentin knows how to tell a story better than he can write one. ÂÂ

This is kind of wierd but what i usually do when im coming up with a story is think and think and think about it, fucking daydreaming constantly about ideas, before i write it. Between writing scenes for my script all im doing is thinking about the next scenes to put into it. And i mean all the goddamn time. Usually this is a damned good way of coming up with new and fresh ideas. Also like to go over previous work and thinking of better and new ways of improving it.

Ive got the sequels in my head too. ::slight_smile: