The Super Awesome QTA Movieclub

The off-topic chat lounge
Scarface
Fucking Professional

Re: The Super Awesome QTA Movieclub

Post by Scarface » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:51 pm

This is a great idea, even though unfortunately I cannot commit myself to watching a movie every week due to my current busy schedule. This time I am in luck though, sonce I saw LIT just a few weeks ago.

I had first tried to watch this flick about 5 years ago with some friends. A friend of mine, seeing Bill Murray on the cover, thought it was going to be a fast paced laugh out loud comedy. Needless to say, my friends  were massively disappointed and even switched it off halfway through. I didn't know what to think of it at the time and I had to wait some years later in order to watch it again and finish it off.

It was certainly a unique movie in how it was structured. The themes of loneliness and alienation are present all over, though very subtle throughout and not fed down your throat, which is a very positive aspect of movie making since it means that the director trusts the audience enough and thinks that it is smart enough to arrive to its own conclusions.

Needless to say, the cinematography is beautiful. The soundtrack is haunting. The acting from the two main stars is top notch. The biggest strength that this movie has, however, is not strictly tied to the technical aspect of the film. I love this movie primarily because how it makes me feel at the end of it. I love how it connected with me as soon as the closing credits roll. I felt like I knew those two characters all my life The ending is very emotional, and I admit. I almost shed a tear or two (though I am still not sure if Murray should have kissed Scarlett on the lips). It fills you up with hope. As cliche' as it may sound, it makes you look at the world in a wholly different light. And very few movies succeed in doing that.

And I have no doubt that I will appreciate this movie even more once I reach Bull Murray's age.
Last edited by Scarface on Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lt. BioBasterd
Fucking Professional

Post by Lt. BioBasterd » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:29 am

I love Lost In Translation, I've seen it quite a few times. I wonder what Sofia is doing next?
"All the billing in the world and the billboards can't do it. It's the people who pay their hard-earned cash across the ticket windows that make stars." - J.L. Mankiewicz

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:19 pm

Scarface wrote: The biggest strength that this movie has, however, is not strictly tied to the technical aspect of the film. I love this movie primarily because how it makes me feel at the end of it. I love how it connected with me as soon as the closing credits roll. I felt like I knew those two characters all my life The ending is very emotional, and I admit. I almost shed a tear or two (though I am still not sure if Murray should have kissed Scarlett on the lips). It fills you up with hope. As cliche' as it may sound, it makes you look at the world in a wholly different light. And very few movies succeed in doing that.

And I have no doubt that I will appreciate this movie even more once I reach Bull Murray's age.
You're very much right. I did feel the same at the time when I first it in theater. The ending was so powerful that I was feeling all weird. The Jesus Mary Chain track helped a lot too btw and I'm a huge fan of this band. Sofia Coppola knows to get you in the mood of her movies, she's all into visual and feelings. There's never much said in her movies, not much dialogues, a lot of silence, but you never get bored cause she knows how to catch your attention. There's not a single shot I dislike in her three movies (except for Trip Fontaine being older in Virgin Suicides). Especially in Lost in Translation. She's this visual sensibility, it's so lovely, feminine but not in bad way, like some bad girly movies that only girls would love. A lot of boys and men are in love with her movies too. And that's very rare for a female director to catch a male audience and make it addicted to her style.

I think you did the right choice to watch the movie again and not with your friends. I think that every Sofia Coppola movies is that special that you better share them only with yourself for the first viewing. It's so intimate, so you have to alone to concentrate. I would watch a new movie by her in theater, only with someone that I consider very special. I can't share it with anyone, at least not the very precious first viewing.

Btw about the idea of loving the movie even more when yo'ure Bill Murray's age, I do think too. And I also think that when I'll be in the Scarlett Johansson position too, studies over and a serious relationship (no marriage, I don't want to get married), I'll understand her even more. But it's already an achievement to reach such a large audience that haven't experienced either the 50s crisis nor the 20s crisis.

Last remark :
Scarlett was 17 when she shot it. I couldn't believe.

PS : Have you seen The Virgin Suicides and Marie-Antoinette, Scar ?

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:47 pm

I have seen TVS, which I really liked but not as much as LIT.

nublob
Basterd

Post by nublob » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:15 pm

I liked both of them  although I think TVS is probably a better movie artistically speaking.  Its perfect.  It really was an achievement considering this was her first movie

Seth_Gecko
Fucking Professional

Post by Seth_Gecko » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:16 pm

Let's nominate some movies to watch again dear members!

Here are my votes for movies to watch:

- Ghost World.
- Donnie Darko.
- L' Armée des ombres/ Army in The Shadows.
- Le Samouraï.
- Garden State.
- Any Wes Anderson movie.
- Any Sofia Coppola movie.

Just nominate your own pics and: The movie that gets 3 votes first is the one people can watch and discuss.

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:45 pm

Ok, I propose a different concept but you'll be pleased, Seth since we both love the same movies and that it includes movies you just submitted.

I propose a special The Graduate tribute :
- The Graduate
- Rushmore
- Garden State

The concept is easy to understand : we first watch this must-seen, The Graduate, and then two recent movies influenced by it, Garden State and Rushmore. Then we can discuss of the differences, the similarities, why the late sixties recently influence lots of movies (see how Harold and Maude influenced Anderson too).

Seth_Gecko
Fucking Professional

Post by Seth_Gecko » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:51 pm

Haha, I actually thought about something along those lines. Birds of a feather ;)

So yeah, I agree on watching those! I'll start with the Graduate tomorrow.

Utivich
Real McCoy

Post by Utivich » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:30 pm

I've seen Garden Stae 3 times, and to be honest, I hated it. But I vote on those anyway, have all of them on DVD so why not.

O0

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:12 pm

I vote Garden State, since I own it, so it's easy for me. Sorry for the laziness, but seriously, I like it.

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:38 pm

This sounds like it'll be fun. So Garden State it is?

Mr.Pink

Post by Mr.Pink » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:28 pm

This would be a good idea if all the movies you guys wanted to watch werent GAY!!!!!

Utivich
Real McCoy

Post by Utivich » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:35 pm

Okej, so let's watch Gladiator, Braveheart and Spartacus instead. Hurray for cool films like those.

Mr.Pink

Post by Mr.Pink » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:09 pm

Utivich wrote:Okej, so let's watch Gladiator, Braveheart and Spartacus instead. Hurray for cool films like those.
Atleast I dont watch movies for fags like you do.

Utivich
Real McCoy

Post by Utivich » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:14 pm

But hey, I'm homosexual! Are you single?

Mr.Pink

Post by Mr.Pink » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:21 pm

Utivich wrote:But hey, I'm homosexual! Are you single?
I always knew you were gay.

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:27 pm

I don't know Mr. Pink, all those movies have some very homoerotic undertones...

So it's settled, Garden State?

Angel
Fucking Professional

Post by Angel » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:30 pm

Maybe we should look towards Livestream or something?

It would be a more communal experience than mere discussion after separate viewings. But then you'd have to get everyone together I guess.
Ordell Rodriguez wrote:I don't know Mr. Pink, all those movies have some very homoerotic undertones...

So it's settled, Garden State?
My theory is that the half-naked men and homoerotic undertones of 80s action films like Commando and Predator contributed to their popularity.

pantsman
Basterd

Post by pantsman » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:33 pm

Garden State eh? I'd be willing to contribute, as I've never seen the flick. I say you do this on a monthly basis though, as my schedule is always so packed. Had to review seven screeners this month and did like five or six movies just for my site. Always busy with writing, but I haven't seen Garden State and everyone keeps recommending it. Wouldn't mind writing some stuff out for it.

Utivich
Real McCoy

Post by Utivich » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:34 pm

I thought we would watch all 3 of them?

And The Graduate first.

Like lili said:
cyber-lili wrote:Ok, I propose a different concept but you'll be pleased, Seth since we both love the same movies and that it includes movies you just submitted.

I propose a special The Graduate tribute :
- The Graduate
- Rushmore
- Garden State

The concept is easy to understand : we first watch this must-seen, The Graduate, and then two recent movies influenced by it, Garden State and Rushmore. Then we can discuss of the differences, the similarities, why the late sixties recently influence lots of movies (see how Harold and Maude influenced Anderson too).

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:50 pm

Awesome. I havn't seen The Graduate in a while. Love that movie, one of the few movies I'd say is perfectly directed, if there could be such a thing.

Utivich
Real McCoy

Post by Utivich » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:53 pm

Yeah, and you gotta love the Simon and Garfunkel soundtrack. One of the best for sure :)

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:58 pm

Utivich wrote:Yeah, and you gotta love the Simon and Garfunkel soundtrack. One of the best for sure :)
No doubt. I actually have the record, wore a hole through it I listened so much. Found it dirt cheap at a cool little vinyl/cafe joint.

Angel
Fucking Professional

Post by Angel » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:02 pm

I'd go The Graduate and Rushmore for sure. I could watch Garden State again because I haven't seen it in a while. I liked it, but nowhere near as much as The Graduate and Rushmore.

I think everyone could find the time to watch them.

When people recommend or lend films to me that I don't like, I say I didn't have time to see them. Meanwhile I watched ten other films instead.

Utivich
Real McCoy

Post by Utivich » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:21 pm

Ordell Rodriguez wrote:
Utivich wrote:Yeah, and you gotta love the Simon and Garfunkel soundtrack. One of the best for sure :)
No doubt. I actually have the record, wore a hole through it I listened so much. Found it dirt cheap at a cool little vinyl/cafe joint.
:) They should let artists make these kinds of soundtracks more often. Like, well let's say like Eddie Vedder did for Into the Wild or Bob Dylan for Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid. Gives the film a completely different feel.

*G*
Fucking Professional

Post by *G* » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:07 pm

Utivich wrote:
Ordell Rodriguez wrote:
:) They should let artists make these kinds of soundtracks more often. Like, well let's say like Eddie Vedder did for Into the Wild or Bob Dylan for Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid. Gives the film a completely different feel.

Or the last good one, Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead for PTA's There Will Be Blood.

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:16 pm

Oh god the scores to both There Will Be Blood and Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid are absolutely amazing.

Speaking of which I nominate Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid as our next pick. That bitchin' directors cut is amazing. Movie doesn't get nearly as much love as it deserves.

blue_lou_boyle
Basterd

Post by blue_lou_boyle » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:03 pm

so what have we agreed on?

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:06 pm

I believe The Graduate, Rushmore, and Garden State.

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:37 pm

Perfect. For once, everybody agrees so let's hope everybody will really watch the movies or at least contribute to the debate.

Let's say we have a week to watch everything. The debat can start next monday, the 9th or something.