do you watch football? (soccer)

The off-topic chat lounge
Mr.Pink

Re: do you watch football? (soccer)

Post by Mr.Pink » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:15 am

RatQuiRit wrote:Hmmm Mr. Pink, you're not assured to go to the next stage if you beat Paraguay. You have to score more goals than Italy if Italy wins against Slovakia.
I would LOVE to see NZ instead of Italy though, because you know, I'm French so I naturally hate Italy when it comes to football. (and even, I'm sure I'd hate Italy regardless, their game is just disgusting). But I really don't see that happening.
No, Paraguay are leading the pool on 4 points and we are tied with Italy on 2 points so if NZ and Italy win their games it will be those two teams advancing.

RatQuiRit
Fucking Professional

Post by RatQuiRit » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:53 pm

Mr.Pink wrote:
RatQuiRit wrote:Hmmm Mr. Pink, you're not assured to go to the next stage if you beat Paraguay. You have to score more goals than Italy if Italy wins against Slovakia.
I would LOVE to see NZ instead of Italy though, because you know, I'm French so I naturally hate Italy when it comes to football. (and even, I'm sure I'd hate Italy regardless, their game is just disgusting). But I really don't see that happening.
No, Paraguay are leading the pool on 4 points and we are tied with Italy on 2 points so if NZ and Italy win their games it will be those two teams advancing.
Oh yes, that was a pretty horrid miscalculation from my part!
"Grief is idiotic...I choose nothing: It's not better, but grief is a compromise. It's everything or nothing."

RatQuiRit
Fucking Professional

Post by RatQuiRit » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:26 pm

NZ is out, that was predictable.
Italy is too, much less predictable. Awesome game by Slovakia.
"Grief is idiotic...I choose nothing: It's not better, but grief is a compromise. It's everything or nothing."

21grams
Basterd

Post by 21grams » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:00 pm

Seth_Gecko wrote: ahhhh Ify must be crying somewhere.. :angel:
.. that's still valid ;D

Again refereeing errors everyday :-\

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:17 pm

21grams wrote:
Seth_Gecko wrote: ahhhh Ify must be crying somewhere.. :angel:
.. that's still valid ;D

Again refereeing errors everyday :-\
Yeah...

Even though I haven't seen a good England performance in YEARS, even though I knew that all those great players can't play well together for England, the manner of their exit was still pretty depressing. We got raped by the Germans. They were far superior. The goal and the disallowed goals were really the only good plays they did. Apart from the keeper James, everybody else played shit. It was a really bad performance and they deserved to lose. They drew against USA and Algeria and could only manage a 1-0 win against the smallest nation in the World Cup - Slovenia. What an embarassment.

I have to admit though, normally I'm really in the mood when it comes to large International tournaments. I sit with my England flag, I watch all the build-up, read all these articles, I get really into it. This year was completely different and that's not because they have bene playing shit recently (didn't even qualify for Euro 2008!), it's because none of those England players play with passion. There is a HUGE difference between their club performances and their International performances. NO manager can get these group of players to play well.

I'm still looking forward to seeing the Real Madrid players play. Higuain is the top scorer so far :)

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:57 am

I'm all for Germany now. I hope they're gonna win against Argentina, then against Spain (which didn't really deserve to win more than Portugal). I hope Brazil will lose against The Netherlands and that Ghana will win against Urugay.

The best final would be Germany against The Netherlands.

RatQuiRit
Fucking Professional

Post by RatQuiRit » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:07 pm

cyber-lili wrote:I'm all for Germany now. I hope they're gonna win against Argentina, then against Spain (which didn't really deserve to win more than Portugal). I hope Brazil will lose against The Netherlands and that Ghana will win against Urugay.

The best final would be Germany against The Netherlands.
Ok now that's just scary. Because that's exactly how I feel about everything!

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:22 pm

I was very very sad that Ghana lost... The didn't deserve it cause they were superior. But I'm glad that Brazil lost 2-1 and that Germany won 4-0, that was the best !! Such a great game and such a superior team. Now Germany will take its revenche against Spain and will win the final. That'd be one of the best cup ever after 98 for me.

RatQuiRit
Fucking Professional

Post by RatQuiRit » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:17 am

I was so sad for Cardozo yesterday after Paraguay lost again Spain. He must be depressed now.

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:42 am

Yeah but Gemrany will do the job for Paraguay, they will destroy Spain, and take their revenge.

Utivich
Real McCoy

Post by Utivich » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:16 pm

cyber-lili wrote:they will destroy Spain, and take their revenge.
Hihi.

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:24 pm

cyber-lili wrote:Yeah but Gemrany will do the job for Paraguay, they will destroy Spain, and take their revenge.
I wish! :P

That USA/Slovakia game was off the chain. I had like 4 heart attacks watching it.

RatQuiRit
Fucking Professional

Post by RatQuiRit » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:50 pm

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz wrote:
cyber-lili wrote:Yeah but Gemrany will do the job for Paraguay, they will destroy Spain, and take their revenge.
I wish! :P

That USA/Slovakia game was off the chain. I had like 4 heart attacks watching it.
And yet you're still alive, you're so powerfully unbreakable Geoi :D

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:49 am

LOL! ^ Indeed.

Those referees suck. FIFA needs that instant replay review like the NFL has. Especially since goals are so scarce.

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:29 am

I didn't reckon to find many soccer fans on here. It feels to me than I'm the only one among my friends not watching these games.

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:54 am

Utivich wrote:
Hihi.
I was wrong and spent a terrible night during that game... It was so painful to see Germany losing and giving the opportunity to Spain to go to finale. The worst is that Spain will probably win against The Netherlands, while I'm all into The Netherlands.

jonitapani
Real McCoy

Post by jonitapani » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:19 am

I don't really care which one wins, 'cause both are my two favourite countries in football :)
But I still believe that Spain will win.
ÄLÄKÄ KOLISE!

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:54 pm

I <3 Holland.

Lili, I was rather heart-broken myself about Germany losing. I wonder if Sebby even cares.

Utivich
Real McCoy

Post by Utivich » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:13 pm

cyber-lili wrote:
Utivich wrote:
Hihi.
I was wrong and spent a terrible night during that game... It was so painful to see Germany losing and giving the opportunity to Spain to go to finale. The worst is that Spain will probably win against The Netherlands, while I'm all into The Netherlands.
Yeah, Germany really deserved to go to the finale. They have played the best this World Cup.
You don't like Spain?

Seth_Gecko
Fucking Professional

Post by Seth_Gecko » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:39 pm

It was a coinflip finale. Congrats to Spain.

My Dutch heart bleeds.

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:28 pm

Utivich wrote: Yeah, Germany really deserved to go to the finale. They have played the best this World Cup.
You don't like Spain?
I think they played bad in their first three matches, they started to be better way too late for me to think they could deserve to win the finale. Instead of Germany. But I don't dislike Spain at all otherwise, they have among the best clubs. No football lover candislike Spain.

That's too bad cause, sorry Tim, The Netherlands were really aggressive in the finale and nobody supported them during the match. Spain played a "correct" football but the match was anyway boring. Spain only deserved to win in the end cause they didn't attack for no reason the other team and play the game. That's too bad the finale was so boring cause it sure was very different for once to get such teams in finale. And we just had a terrible show.

chadudhy
Cowardly Lion

soccer

Post by chadudhy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:14 am

How can I get trained to become a good soccer player in just 4 months? I suddenly realized a couple days ago that I love soccer and its my thing. So when I get to high school, I wanna get good enough to join the girls soccer team :) How can I get trained in 4 months? Well, my brother is a good soccer player and hes gonna train me during the summer, but will I be good by the time I get to high school?

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:41 am

Depends your level and depends how hard you train this summer. You won't become an excellent player if you've never played for real before but at least, you can get an average level to pass the exam and get into the soccer team from your highscool. I used to play in a boy football team and I was the only girl. With an appropriate training and motivation and a natural good level in the sport, you can get awesome results.

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:22 pm

Lili, you played on a boy's football team? I did too! When I was 7. :laugh:

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:29 am

Yeah, I played with boys as long as I could, but at 12, you're not "allowed" to be a mixed teams anymore. So I took a test to enter a very good girl team but all this hard-competition-no-social-life scared me. I was too young, to stop having some free time (8 hours of training every week, is that a life for a young girl ?). So I played volleyball the next years. I played football three years.

But european football is real football compared to US soccer, right ? ;D
How long have you played it ?

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:16 am

Wow. Yeah, you were probably right to put your life ahead of a footballer life. That sounds insane to me. Kids should be allowed to be kids. Unless you have an intense dedication to the sport and nothing else, that life isn't for you.

I played world football for about 5 or 6 years, and American football for 1. Fun stuff, nothing like a career or what you're talking about. My true talents were on the rounders/baseball/softball field though.

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:16 am

I was proposed to enter harder competition with volleyball too. I've always played for real competition, I love that but not when it takes all your life cause I didn't want to become a real professional or whatever.

We haven't any baseball teams here, or it's really rare, nothing compared to real US teams. But football is a real passion. I wish I could still do sport. I had ti stop volleyball cause first I didn't want to be in a pro team for the rest of my life, plus the training sessions and games were on school schedule when I was a post-graduate. And now it's a bit late to enter a new team after 3/4 years without training even though I have more free time.

Do you still practice any sport ? You used to wrestle, right ? Do you still do it ?

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:12 am

I totally get what you're saying. The sports I played were competitive, but not like "career" competitive. Just school and summer stuff. I'd love to get into an adult softball league or something, but I live too far away from them. It is an option though... Someday.

I've been trying to teach my daughter basketball and world football, but she's more interested in watching movies than going outside to play. It's terrible. I did wrestle, but I gave that up for the kid. I miss it a lot.

They don't have any group sports around you that are for fun? You should start a league of your own.

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:38 pm

There are university teams but if you play volleyball with beginners, it's not fun at all. And city teams in Paris are all for competition, not fun.

Your kid might be interested later in sports. Watching movies and doing sport is not impossible, I did it during my whole childhood.

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:23 pm

We have a lot of church leagues around for softball and basketball, but you really need to be a member of the church to play, and I'm not ready to relinquish my membership to my old church. In the big cities, there are a lot of adult leagues that only require you to pay for a membership. Do you guys have bowling in France? I love bowling. Not much of a sport, but it's super fun.