Mixed Martial Arts

Haven’t been on this side of the forum before, but since this is the chat area I figure sports are on-topic amongst just about everything else. Anyone else watch Mixed Martial Arts events? UFC, Pride, IFL, etc. I am a fan since the 90’s, who eventually lost interest during the black period of the UFC. Then a couple of years go by and I’ve gotten back into, and no, not because of “The Ultimate Fighter”. Actually never seen that show, which I regret since I hear the Bonnar/Griffin fight from the finale on one of those seasons turned out great.

Anyway, anyone a fan? If so, favorite fighters? My list:

1. Fedor Emelianenko (greatest fighter of our time)
  2. Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic
  3. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
  4. B.J. Penn
  5. Josh Barnett
  6. Royce Gracie (can never forget our past)
  7. Quinton “Rampage” Jackson
  8. Kazushi Sakuraba
  9. Bas Rutten
  10. Georges St. Pierre

I think I might be the only one around into MMA :smiley:

So, I’ll just post my favorite highlight video of Fedor Emelianenko’s:

Video On Youtube

You would think that I would be into it nowdays since there’s a helluva lot more striking (Instead of grappling) in the fights these days (I tuned into UFC during it’s first few years when Gracie dominated in boring fashion. Lost interest in the sport after that)

But given that there’s a lot more exposure for MMA these days (It’ll become a staple for the Showtime networks soon) I may tune in.

[quote=“Laydback”]
You would think that I would be into it nowdays since there’s a helluva lot more striking (Instead of grappling) in the fights these days (I tuned into UFC during it’s first few years when Gracie dominated in boring fashion. Lost interest in the sport after that)

But given that there’s a lot more exposure for MMA these days (It’ll become a staple for the Showtime networks soon) I may tune in.
[/quote]You know, I appreciate the ground game a lot more than a lot of people I guess, because I’ve become a little disinterested in the striking aspect and I sometimes feel UFC is encouraging their fighters to make the fights more stand-up oriented. Not to mention the three/five minute rounds tend to limit most grapplers. Still, it is all about the whole package, and fighters like Mirko Crocop and Chuck Liddell prove you can be a dominant fighter and focus mostly on your well developed standup fight.

I’m definitely a bigger fan of Pride these days, due to the difference in the rules and the deeper level of talent. Instead of 3 or 5 minute rounds, the first round tends to be 10 minutes, followed by two five minute rounds. Soccer kicks, knees and stomps to a downed opponent are legal (say what you want, they’re better than elbows like in the UFC which only serve as a way to cut an opponent and get the fight called) - and they have Fedor, which makes them the beeeessst :wink:

No replies since February, and so sad, Pride is no longer around. Scooped up by Zuffa/UFC. We’re getting a lot of the Pride Vs. UFC fights however, and the UFC’s cards are really getting spiffy. This weekend is UFC 74, headlined by Randy Couture vs. Gabriel Gonzaga and Georges St. Pierre vs. Josh Koscheck. Looking forward to it, going to watch it on the big screen with some family. Don’t have much faith in Randy actually winning, but I sure am rooting for him. I’m also hoping to see Kos get destroyed by GSP. Then in September, the return of Crocop! Exciting times my friends, well, exciting for me :wink:

Sorry if we’re not supposed to bump up old topics, but hey, I’m just throwing the conversation out there again. Better than making yet another topic :slight_smile:

pants is back! como estas senor?

[quote=“Sebastian”]
pants is back! como estas senor?
[/quote]Hola! :smiley: Yeah, just hanging round’ :slight_smile: VC is down right now until I get a new host (my old one took my money and ran) and address, but it’ll be back soon. Still, always some great conversations running around these parts - still trying to find another MMA fan though :wink:

havent watched it in a while, always interested in learning fighting styles though.

I like the tall black guy that kicked the shit out of that annoying redhead.

[quote=“HostOfThreads”]
I like the tall black guy that kicked the shit out of that annoying redhead.
[/quote]Anderson Silva? :smiley: Gotta love the Spider!

And oh boy, another UFC event, another Crocop loss :frowning: The guy just refuses to show heart anymore. I don’t know what happened in that fight tonight - but he had it in his hands; but let it slip by. A shame and total bummer.

I know it’s a dead topic, and I suppose there aren’t too many MMA fans on the board - but hey; why not beat a dead horse! ;D

I’ve been making MMA Highlights for a while now. I’ve made like… I dunno, ten or something :slight_smile: Fellow film editors may be interested or something. I started with Adobe Premiere but could never get into it all that much, moved onto Sony Vegas which I love for its ease of use and am now dabbling in Adobe After Effects which feels like a real special FX program for once.

This one is my latest:

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.livevideo.com/video/420A5A1C … -arts.aspx”>http://www.livevideo.com/video/420A5A1CCD0A4D79B290D04B446E2E7D/hl-the-mixed-martial-arts.aspx</LINK_TEXT>

The livevideo stream is a little cleaner than the youtube one, but not by much. The youtube is: HERE. Though, really, it pays to have the full .WMV file since the quality of the videos I had were not so great and the FX on top of them don’t translate so well to the streaming sites unfortunately.

yea since i got into training muay thai at a mma gym i have been watching it alot more so id be happy to discuss it. i hope GSP loses this upcoming fight,really cant stand him, and that anderson silva james irvin knockout was impressive.

[quote=“Jjp”]
yea since i got into training muay thai at a mma gym i have been watching it alot more so id be happy to discuss it. i hope GSP loses this upcoming fight,really cant stand him, and that anderson silva james irvin knockout was impressive.
[/quote]Really? Dislike GSP? :o Is it something about his attitude or his fighting style? I won’t say I’m his biggest fan or anything like that, but he’s darn good. Ever since his loss to Serra though he has been going to his wrestling over and over again. I’m kind of missing the days when he would stand up and trade like he did with BJ Penn. Even though Penn was eating him alive until he gassed, at least Pierre showed the heart to give it his all… but then again, who can really take BJ Penn down? ;D

I love Silva, though some of his fans these days might be taking it a little over the edge with the pound for pound greatest ever stuff. Especially when you have Fedor knocking/choking out Tim Sylvia in 36 seconds on the same night, it seems Anderson would have to step up his level of competition to give Fedor a threat for the spot. Anderson is a monster though, and his next opponent is supposed to be Cote from what I hear. Though I like the guy, the only UFC middleweight with any chance I can think of is probably Dan Henderson - and he just lost to Silva.

As a fighter i never thought that GSP was an impressive fighter. Yes he is a very good fighter, but his attitude is what i cant really stand, hes too much of a show off. As far as silva is concerned, i dont think too many people in ufc pose a threat to him. The only time i can see him being beat is if a k-1 or muay thai fighter decides to come to ufc. His muay thai skills are very impressive. He is a great fighter but i think someone like buakaw or massato if schooled in ground game could take him. The problem occurs because not alot of people in MMA are great muay thai strikers like silva is. That james irvin knockout was textbook muay thai, it wasent even something fancy. There going to need a differant class of striker to fight him…anyway i just got done watching wec on versus i cant say im not happy with the results. Marcus hicks was probably the biggest disappointment for me, i thought he could take verner. Brian Stann’s fight, i was happy with the result of that fight, i never thought Stann was good he was never tested and has knocked alot of people out with flurries in the first round because his opponents would get sloppy during the exchanges. The Carlos Condet really got tested tonight but came out on top i was happy with that fight. CAnt wait until sept 10th to see Urijah Faber fight again.

[quote=“Jjp”]
As a fighter i never thought that GSP was an impressive fighter. Yes he is a very good fighter, but his attitude is what i cant really stand, hes too much of a show off. As far as silva is concerned, i dont think too many people in ufc pose a threat to him. The only time i can see him being beat is if a k-1 or muay thai fighter decides to come to ufc. His muay thai skills are very impressive. He is a great fighter but i think someone like buakaw or massato if schooled in ground game could take him. The problem occurs because not alot of people in MMA are great muay thai strikers like silva is. That james irvin knockout was textbook muay thai, it wasent even something fancy. There going to need a differant class of striker to fight him…anyway i just got done watching wec on versus i cant say im not happy with the results. Marcus hicks was probably the biggest disappointment for me, i thought he could take verner. Brian Stann’s fight, i was happy with the result of that fight, i never thought Stann was good he was never tested and has knocked alot of people out with flurries in the first round because his opponents would get sloppy during the exchanges. The Carlos Condet really got tested tonight but came out on top i was happy with that fight. CAnt wait until sept 10th to see Urijah Faber fight again. [/quote]Aww man! I missed the latest WEC event, that sucks. Instead I was being pulled over by the police and being cursed out and have my car and business being insulted by a cop (I kid you not, want to forget about that little incident).

Anyway, looking over the results - I didn’t think Stann would keep the title very long. He has that whole “throw a bunch of punches until something connects” mentality that either gets you a win or gets you TKO’d. This time, he obviously didn’t win. Would have liked to see the Condit/Miura fight. Miura gave Jason Miller all he could handle when they fought and sounds like he may have done the same to Condit. In the UFC, the fighter I’m probably most excited to see fight are Paulo Filho and Miguel Torres. Filho has looked terrible since coming to the WEC, and has checked himself into a rehab recently - but he’s still undefeated and a tremendous fighter. He’ll be re-matching Chael Sonnen on the same card as that next Faber fight, a fight that didn’t really need a rematch if you ask me. Chael screamed and was about to have his arm broke in a Filho armbar - the ref made the right move and called the fight; then he threw a temper tantrum over it. I usually like Chael but lost some respect for him that night. Torres is just an amazing fighter, well-rounded and exciting. I also like Faber as well, but after seeing a little thing about him on MSNBC a long time back; haven’t really liked his personality. He’s kind of cocky.

yep Filho hasent looked so good so far in wec, well not as good as he used to be at least. His last fight can’t remember who he fought, he tkoed him but it was one of the sloppiest tko’s i have ever seen in my life. He should try to improve his striking game but his ground game is sick. I seen the Chael Sonnen fight,he starts flipping out after, but seriously now what is the ref supposed to do let him break his arm, then the ref loses his job. Im calling Filho winning in one of the early rounds due to submission. The next ufc is lookin good though as much as i dont like him im gonna have to say herring is going to beat lesner. Florian has been looking really good too. He was at my gym a while back and of course its the one night im not there, i was pissed i dident get to meet him. i want fitch to beat pierre but i dunno its gonna be a close one. Oo yea i almost forgot that last Lawler vs. smith fight on elite xc was really good fight, especially for elite xc. I use to consider there fighters at a lower rank (other than some stars like frank shamrock and cung lee) than the fighters in other leagues like ufc and wec, But lately they have been having some really good fights.

[quote=“Jjp”]
yep Filho hasent looked so good so far in wec, well not as good as he used to be at least. His last fight can’t remember who he fought, he tkoed him but it was one of the sloppiest tko’s i have ever seen in my life. He should try to improve his striking game but his ground game is sick. I seen the Chael Sonnen fight,he starts flipping out after, but seriously now what is the ref supposed to do let him break his arm, then the ref loses his job. Im calling Filho winning in one of the early rounds due to submission. The next ufc is lookin good though as much as i dont like him im gonna have to say herring is going to beat lesner. Florian has been looking really good too. He was at my gym a while back and of course its the one night im not there, i was pissed i dident get to meet him. i want fitch to beat pierre but i dunno its gonna be a close one. Oo yea i almost forgot that last Lawler vs. smith fight on elite xc was really good fight, especially for elite xc. I use to consider there fighters at a lower rank (other than some stars like frank shamrock and cung lee) than the fighters in other leagues like ufc and wec, But lately they have been having some really good fights.
[/quote]Yeah, I actually really like EliteXC. They’re developing quite the roster, and although it’s not as impressive as that recent Affliction card or the UFC’s main roster; it is quite respectable and they’re also the only big name putting on women’s MMA.

The Herring Vs. Lesnar match, I’m going to pick Lesnar. I’m a big fan of Heath’s and have been following him for a long time, but Heath has no takedown defense - and Lesnar is a takedown machine. Heath’s best hope is for Lesnar to pull a Coleman and gas out by the third, where he could then keep it standing and brutalize Brock. If Heath could do that, I doubt Brock has the heart to continue.

St. Pierre’s most likely to dominate Fitch, since St. Pierre has crushed every other wrestler he has come against so far - and when Fitch is being put on his back like Koscheck & Hughes, I expect the same results. Florian/Huerta should be epic, Huerta always puts on fight of the night performances and Florian is just as capable. That’s a 50/50 for me, but if I were to pick I’d say Florian. Should be one heck of a card!

[quote=“pantsman”]This one is my latest:

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.livevideo.com/video/420A5A1C … -arts.aspx”>http://www.livevideo.com/video/420A5A1CCD0A4D79B290D04B446E2E7D/hl-the-mixed-martial-arts.aspx</LINK_TEXT>

The livevideo stream is a little cleaner than the youtube one, but not by much. The youtube is: HERE. Though, really, it pays to have the full .WMV file since the quality of the videos I had were not so great and the FX on top of them don’t translate so well to the streaming sites unfortunately.
[/quote]Hey anybody who reads this, do the ol’ J-Man a favor and vote for my video here:

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.punchdrunkgamer.com/index.ph … &Itemid=77”>http://www.punchdrunkgamer.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73&Itemid=77</LINK_TEXT>

It’s listed as JSSVideo: The Mixed Martial Arts. It’s for a competition I entered it in, I’m bound to lose so I’m not expecting any great rally but I figure I want to go down with at least more than a couple of votes if I can help it ;D

I cant wait until UFC 106 when Tito Ortiz will getfucked up by Mark Coleman.

anyone catch last nights event? Frank mir showed how good he is tonight, i dont think he’s looked this good since his accident (except for the Minotauro fight) and BJ what an animal! doubt anyone will stop him at 155 now