Future of DVD

I know by 2006 companies are going to start to switch to bluray/hddvd…all these movies will be ported anyway. I’m a cheap fucker…I’m savin for the next dvd-medium

oh dam! You reminded me of the whoel blue Ray HD thing, that kills me a little inside everytime I hear it!

I can’t wait, I will probablley buy every version of Kill Bill released!

[quote=“helu”]
oh dam! You reminded me of the whoel blue Ray HD thing, that kills me a little inside everytime I hear it!

I can’t wait, I will probablley buy every version of Kill Bill released!
[/quote]

Toshiba are going to release a special type of disc that plays on normal DVD players, AND also as High Definition DVDs, so it supports both formats.

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/1 … 8&from=rss”>Memory-Tech, Toshiba Develop DVD/HD-DVD Discs - Slashdot</LINK_TEXT>

I don’t think the hddvd and bluray stuff will last, s-vhs anyone? DVD already provides great video quality, and great sound quality at an affordable price, will people really spend more on hddvd/bluray discs if they cost more and don’t have much of a difference from dvds if you don’t have the equipment to compliment it?

[quote=“cross0ver”]
I don’t think the hddvd and bluray stuff will last, s-vhs anyone? DVD already provides great video quality, and great sound quality at an affordable price, will people really spend more on hddvd/bluray discs if they cost more and don’t have much of a difference from dvds if you don’t have the equipment to compliment it?
[/quote]
It’s true in a way because DVD has grown exponentially popular in just 3 or 4 years. People could be mightiliy pissed at having to buy there favourite movies again in a basically rejigged version of standard DVD for better picture and sound so soon after being promised that DVD was as good as it gets. I personally don’t see a problem as I am a technology whore and will likely line the pockets of the fat studio executive bastard types, but I don’t think it’ll be an easy win like VHS was over Beta Max.

[quote=“cross0ver”]
[/quote]

fuck that. dvd picture quality, even though its considerable better than vhs, still is way imperfect. Im talking moire effects, lines and bleeding, and edge halos, and worst of all compression distortion because the dvd’s are so small we have to compress the audio and video data so it looks and sounds shittier than it really should. Plus they have to have like 2+ dvds on the sets because the information cant be fit on one disc. 4 discs for LOTR? come on people. with hd-dvd, the movie, and all those fucking extras would be on ONE disc. The sound would be better, the video would spit-your-knee-kick-you-in-the-nuts-fantastic because there would be no compression artifacts, and plus…the best part…high definition. Come on, dont you love watching hidef football at the best buy, and you could like count the pores on Mr. Brett Favre’s face? Imagine counting the pores on little Frodo, it would be that fucking clear. And as far as cost and adjusting, hd’s arent much more expensive than dvd’s, and dvd’s and hddvd’s will be compatible together in one player. So its one big happy family.

I think that’s an investment America can handle. Hddvd’s/bluray are the fucking future bitch. You cant escape it. Most movie companies have already signed on. Shit, even the ps3 will be compatible to play bluray discs.

I’ve spent enough buying DVDs, I’m not spending the same amount all over again just to get the movies on BluRay or whatever the update will be. I’m gonna be fucking shitty if all of my DVDs become obsolete within 2 years of buying them.

I’m perfectly happy with DVDs, I don’t give a fuck if I can’t count the pores on Frodo’s face.

VHS to DVD makes sense because the tape wears out and tracking gets off and you can’t see single frames to watch how special effects are done. Plus you got commentary and special features. If the quality is shit on dvd its not the formats fault its the cinematographer. I will not buy another player just so I can get a better dpi. Hell I don’t plan to spend a 1,000 dollars on a hdtv. I see them at Best Buy and I’m lost why anyone would pay that much for them. Unless the new format is recordable I wont bother.

Your dvd’s wont be obsolete…jesus. They still mass produce vhs for god’s sake, quit whining.

Yeah in that huge 4 ft display at Walmart.