The Doors

So anyone a fan of The Doors? Or am I the only one? Easily the best band of the 60s.

[quote=“Mr.Pink”]So anyone a fan of The Doors? Or am I the only one? Easily the best band of the 60s.[/quote]

The best band of all time. My fav band of all time. So you know my answer.

So I guess we’re the only Doors fans on the forum.

I kinda hate them.

[quote=“Dex”]I kinda hate them.[/quote]

Wow. Why?

He probably saw the movie and decided he hates the band.

Yup, I base all my decisions about reality on movies. Actually, it’s the mindlessness of the lyrics that turns me off.

[quote=“Mr.Pink”]So I guess we’re the only Doors fans on the forum.[/quote]

I guess so. Do you have any of Jim’s poetry books?

[quote=“Dex”]Yup, I base all my decisions about reality on movies. Actually, it’s the mindlessness of the lyrics that turns me off.[/quote]

The Doors with mindlessness lyrics? I thought they were always known as the band with the deepest, and hardest lyrics to understand (kind of the other way around from mindless).

[quote=“G”][quote=“Mr.Pink”]So I guess we’re the only Doors fans on the forum.[/quote]

I guess so. Do you have any of Jim’s poetry books?[/quote]
Nah I actually have just got into The Doors. Jim was a strange guy.

[quote=“Mr.Pink”][quote=“G”][quote=“Mr.Pink”]So I guess we’re the only Doors fans on the forum.[/quote]

I guess so. Do you have any of Jim’s poetry books?[/quote]
Nah I actually have just got into The Doors. Jim was a strange guy.[/quote]

The Doors isn’t just about Jim though. Ray, John, and Robby all had as much if not more in some cases than Jim had in the band.

But I know for a fact the lyrics isn’t mindless. They were poetry sung out to music while Jim improvised his own poetry in the songs on live shows. Mindless would be other bands at that time. If you care, Led Zeppelin would be considered more mindless if you take into account what they were singing about on their songs, same would go for The Who or the Stones. Or how about all of the Cali-psychedelic rock groups that sung about really nothing.

Also Oliver Stone’s The Doors film sucks ass.

Oh yes but when Jim died the band only lasted for about another 2 years. People didnt give a shit about the band they only gave a shit about Jim Morrison. The thing is when you have a band the main thing is a about the lead singer and their distinctive voice and when Jim died there was no one that could replace him that had a similar voice.

[quote=“Mr.Pink”]Oh yes but when Jim died the band only lasted for about another 2 years. People didnt give a shit about the band they only gave a shit about Jim Morrison. The thing is when you have a band the main thing is a about the lead singer and their distinctive voice and when Jim died there was no one that could replace him that had a similar voice.[/quote]

Well really the band split before Jim died and their last album (“L.A. Woman”, my 2nd fav album of theirs behind the great “Soft Parade”) was really the downfall with them. Jim was always drunk and did not get along with the other members around that time.

The greatness of Jim was that he was serious about his poetry/songs more than anyone else before or after him but at the same time was a wild animal that no one (not even he) could control.

there’s no such thing as “mindless” lyrics. a grunt can express something the singer is feeling just as much as carefully thought out double entendre can. however, there is such a thing as full of shit lyrics or naive lyrics or not well written lyrics but mindless, i don’t think so. i think what dex was getting at was the nature with which jim came up with them, which was spewed them out off the top of his head.

i disagree with best band of all time in this case because really, they were too short lived and morrison’s ego at times got in the way of his “poetry”. however, i do appreciate them for the influence they had on Iggy Pop, who i find much more of a revolutionary in his performance art (which was morrison turned up to 1000 degrees), and the Stooges because as we know already, their legacy carried on into punk rock and post-punk which is arguably the most important chapter of music to this date as it was when all music that came before suddenly was dropped into a boiling pot and about a thousand different bands came from different directions and suddenly the world was vibrantly dancing along together again. that was a time the doors and all the others with them never really experienced post-1969.

[quote=“F.W.”]there’s no such thing as “mindless” lyrics. a grunt can express something the singer is feeling just as much as carefully thought out double entendre can. however, there is such a thing as full of shit lyrics or naive lyrics or not well written lyrics but mindless, i don’t think so. i think what dex was getting at was the nature with which jim came up with them, which was spewed them out off the top of his head.

i disagree with best band of all time in this case because really, they were too short lived and morrison’s ego at times got in the way of his “poetry”. however, i do appreciate them for the influence they had on Iggy Pop, who i find much more of a revolutionary in his performance art (which was morrison turned up to 1000 degrees), and the Stooges because as we know already, their legacy carried on into punk rock and post-punk which is arguably the most important chapter of music to this date as it was when all music that came before suddenly was dropped into a boiling pot and about a thousand different bands came from different directions and suddenly the world was vibrantly dancing along together again. that was a time the doors and all the others with them never really experienced post-1969.[/quote]
Yea they definantly arent the best band of all time but they are up there.

[quote=“F.W.”]there’s no such thing as “mindless” lyrics. a grunt can express something the singer is feeling just as much as carefully thought out double entendre can. however, there is such a thing as full of shit lyrics or naive lyrics or not well written lyrics but mindless, i don’t think so. i think what dex was getting at was the nature with which jim came up with them, which was spewed them out off the top of his head.

i disagree with best band of all time in this case because really, they were too short lived and morrison’s ego at times got in the way of his “poetry”. however, i do appreciate them for the influence they had on Iggy Pop, who i find much more of a revolutionary in his performance art (which was morrison turned up to 1000 degrees), and the Stooges because as we know already, their legacy carried on into punk rock and post-punk which is arguably the most important chapter of music to this date as it was when all music that came before suddenly was dropped into a boiling pot and about a thousand different bands came from different directions and suddenly the world was vibrantly dancing along together again. that was a time the doors and all the others with them never really experienced post-1969.[/quote]

As a opinion of sound and music, I (myself with an opinion) believe they are the best band of all time, short lived or not. Heck punk bands most of the times didn't last as long as the Doors 3-4 year blast.

But take it in as this. In the late 60's, a time where there wasn't a real, true, American rock band, The Doors was there. They have to be the 60's best American rock band. You had Zeppelin, Who, Stones, etc who were all from the Europe invasion and you had the psychedelic rock from San Francisco and that was it.

But as a fan, I have 6 albums that I can keep listening to, as well as alot of live albums that continue to come out (with one just recently in November). So I am happy with the Doors being my fav.

Yea best American band of the 60s. I actually take back what I previously said about them being the best band of the 60s as we all know it was The Beatles.

[quote=“Mr.Pink”]Yea best American band of the 60s. I actually take back what I previously said about them being the best band of the 60s as we all know it was The Beatles.[/quote]

Beatles=overrated.

Actually they are cause the beatles are the biggest selling band of all time. If you dont believe me then check it out.

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_be … ic_artists”>List of best-selling music artists - Wikipedia</LINK_TEXT>

oh, c’mon, you’re just listing a Rolling Stone top 5 there…

what about Love? Aphrodite’s Child? Big Star (who came out in the 70s albeit)? King Crimson? and…The Velvet Underground? They pretty much stamped their name all over rock n roll and nobody noticed till Lou Reed wrote Walk on the Wildside. There are tons of bands that we’re actually playing innovative and legitimate rock n roll while the masses worshipped the Townsends and Pages of the world. sure, The Who and Zeppelin had their moments but frankly, their albums are all made up of hazy mold-adhering top 40 hits that are the equivalent of a Lady Gaga song these days. meanwhile, bands like VU and Aphrodite’s Child and Love made actual ALBUMS. y’know, something that’s pointless listening to in pieces because of the cosmic whole it makes. there’s no point in arguing who had a bigger influence: VU or Led Zeppelin/The Who/The Doors/The Rolling Stones because while the latter ones influence pop culture (paving the way for magazines like Creem and Rolling Stone, giving kids excuses to crank up their speakers, smoke pot and drive fast) The Velvet Underground was “quietly” destroying pop and rock at its roots and rebuilding it in a fashion that till this day is what influences and astounds music listeners and musicians themselves. there’s no way you can put an album by Zeppelin against something like Loaded and tell me that Zeppelin does it smoother because Reed’s songwriting and voice accompanied by Sterling Morrison’s fucking vanilla-coated licks is pretty much rocknroll’s last stand with its dick in its hand.