Slumdog Millionaire

Saw it twice enjoyed it the first time, thought it was a very good film, very entertaining… second go… I thought it was … okay. This film IS good… just not as good as people are making it out to be. Golden Globe for best picture and best director? Dev Patel getting a BAFTA nom instead of Richard Jenkins or Leo Dicaprio?.. I’m in awe of how people can blindly follow what everyone else says. It’s a good film, no doubt but in no way a best picture contender.

I love Dev Patel from the brit series Skins. So sad the new season won’t be starring the same actors in the seasons 1 & 2.

Btw I still haven’t seen the movie, I will soon.

Oh and yeah, Dicaprio should get something too. I hope he’ll get the oscar and Kate Winslet and in the same time, ahah.

Freida Pinto is fit!

i really didn’t like this film. thought it was a stupid english working class comedy set in india for the sake of exotism… the only scene i liked was the one with Amitabh Bachachan, even though he doesn’t really appear in the film. actually he bad mouthed the film during a press conference, saying he hated it…

[quote=“tonyanthony”]
the only scene i liked was the one with Amitabh Bachachan, even though he doesn’t really appear in the film. actually he bad mouthed the film during a press conference, saying he hated it…
[/quote]

You sure?

ok, well he didn’t say he hated it. but I do. danny boyle is one of the worst directors working today. anyway:

Bachchan Slams Slumdog Millionaire

Bachchan Slams Slumdog Millionaire - IMDb

Indian movie icon Amitabh Bachchan has criticised the makers of Golden Globe winning film Slumdog Millionaire for portraying his nation as a “third world dirty underbelly”.

The film tells the story of a former street child who wins the Indian version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire.

Directed by Brit Danny Boyle and based on Indian diplomat Vikas Swarip’s book, it has become an international sensation.

It picked up four Golden Globe awards on Sunday, is nominated for 11 British Academy awards (Baftas) and is expected to score big at the Oscars next month.

But Bachchan, India’s most famous actor, is unhappy with the way his country is represented.

The star writes on his blog "If (Slumdog Millionaire) projects India as (a) Third World dirty underbelly developing nation and causes pain and disgust among nationalists and patriots, let it be known that a murky underbelly exists and thrives even in the most developed nations.

“It’s just that the (Slumdog Millionaire) idea authored by an Indian and conceived and cinematically put together by a Westerner, gets creative (Golden) Globe recognition. The other would perhaps not.”

It wasn’t like that. Look up Bachan’s side of the story. Anyway, who gives a fuck. >:D

i just read it, anyway, he didn’t say he liked it even… oh know i didn’t ahahah

[quote=“tonyanthony”]
Indian movie icon Amitabh Bachchan has criticised the makers of Golden Globe winning film Slumdog Millionaire for portraying his nation as a “third world dirty underbelly”.[/quote]

Isn’t it?

They don’t even use washing machines… I saw a documentry by Michael Palin and they broke his buttons off his pants just by washing them in a big pot with absolutely no soapy products… dirty.

woah. now that’s what i call a movie!

[quote=“Cyd”]
Isn’t it?

They don’t even use washing machines… I saw a documentry by Michael Palin and they broke his buttons off his pants just by washing them in a big pot with absolutely no soapy products… dirty.
[/quote]

I guess they should just run over to best buy and buy a washing machine, huh?

[quote=“tonyanthony”]
ok, well he didn’t say he hated it. but I do. danny boyle is one of the worst directors working today.

[/quote]

Geez dude! I gotta disagree. Sunshine was brilliantly directed. And I really osrt-of liked 28 Days Later, which he also did. What makes you say he’s the worst?

I saw Slumdog Millionaire today for the very first. Honestly, I’ve never seen such a great film in such a long time. My god, it’s like every other Danny Boyle movie mixed into one goliath of a film. Incredible love story and just everything…

[quote=“Cyd”]
Isn’t it?

[/quote]

This is precisely the reason why Amitabh Bachchan criticized the movie. People tend to build pictures in their head from what they see in a movie. A few years back India was all about ‘swamis’ and ‘pashas’ and ‘jungles’ and now they want to make it all about dirty slums, poverty and everything third world.

“They don’t even use washing machines.” Is that your argument to call a country dirty?

But if you look at the construction site scene you will hear Jamal say how the country has changed.

how many ppl will remember that one line? The movie as a whole shows only the ‘dirty underbelly’

I remembered it.

[quote=“Geoi”]
Geez dude! I gotta disagree. Sunshine was brilliantly directed. And I really osrt-of liked 28 Days Later, which he also did. What makes you say he’s the worst?
[/quote]

i haven’t seen sunshine, and i liked 28 days later, but i didn’t like any of his other films… boy, i think Trainspotting is the Tommy of its generation, it doesn’t age too good…

I loved Trainspotting. Shallow Grave doesn’t age too good in comparaison.

What about The Beach ? I loved it and still do ! Perfect Dicaprio and perfect French couple (Ledoyen is great, Canet is less under the spot). The cinematography was great and I loved the book too.

i don’t like the beach either. i just don’t like his films, with the exception of 28 days later!