Island of the Dead Romero's Next

[quote]Plot involves inhabitants of an isolated island off the North American coast who find their relatives rising from the dead to eat their kin. The leaders of the island feud over whether or not to kill their reanimated relatives or preserve them in hopes of finding a cure. [/quote]

George Romero Shooting Zombie Movie!!

I don’t know, some people are saying this is a loose sequel to Diary of the Dead and some people say it has nothing to do with it. Guess we’ll see.

JoBlo - Movie News, Latest Trailers, and More

looks like biohazard has something to look forward to

Yeah, when I heard about this I was surprised he hadn’t already created the topic.

Oh, I knew long ago, the sequel was confirmed long after Diaries. I’ll get excited when I see it in production status, right now there’s hardly anything on it.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Romero is starting to bore me

[quote=“Biohazard”]
Oh, I knew long ago, the sequel was confirmed long after Diaries. I’ll get excited when I see it in production status, right now there’s hardly anything on it.
[/quote]

They’re already filming in Toronto.

Yes, Romero is doing a new Dead movie and we have a brief scene description and some spy photos...

From the sounds of things this won’t really be a sequel at all. I remember there were rumors that a Diary of the Dead 2 would take place directly after the first one but that turned out not to be true. I think this is more like the original series. New story same universe.

I’m also not sure about the title. I think it’s just what the internet is calling it so far. Pretty sure Island of the Dead was a shitty straight to video movie about people fighting killer flies.

[quote=“Scarface”]
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Romero is starting to bore me
[/quote]

ditto on the zzzzzzzzzzz

I don’t care for Romero anymore after the disaster called “Land of the Dead”.

I thought Land was pretty good. Diary was fuckin’ awful though.

[quote=“Dex”]
I thought Land was pretty good. Diary was fuckin’ awful though.
[/quote]

i didnt even watch diary because i hated land so much. they used that shakey camera bullshit like in Cloverfield and “rec”, didnt they?

Yep. It could have actually been a good movie if they didn’t try that. I really don’t mind the hand held camera gimmick when it’s done in an at least semi-believable way, but with Diary of the Dead the characters never felt like real people. Not even for a minute. That and no matter what, almost every thing that happened was perfectly framed and caught on film just right.

Island sounds like it could be Romero’s attempt to get back to what the first series was about. A small group of people stranded in one place. As long as he can be a little more subtle with the subtext it’s gotta chance to be pretty good in my opinion.

Yes… shakey cam = teh suck

Diary was a great film, you guys are really starting to make me mad. Look at this bullshit movie coming out “Quarantine”. They use the same shaky camera gimmick yet it will probably make from 30-40M when Diary didn’t make a penny because it was hardly released in theatres. I don’t deem Diary Romero’s best but it was one of the best zombie films in years. The concept is dying, it is very predictable so that’s why zombie films have a pretty slim future that will exist only on video. I don’t think this new Romero flick will have a theatrical release but I can’t wait to see it.

Quarantine’s got something going for it that Diary didn’t though. Quarantine’s main cast has experience acting and they’re all at least halfway decent at it. I honestly don’t mind the shaky cam when it’s done right. The whole point of the whole “found footage” gimmick is to make the movie feel as real as possible. It just doesn’t work at all when horrible actors are given shitty dialogue.

HOW DARE YOU SPEAK THAT WAY OF MY MASTER, ON YOUR KNEES DOG! BOW YO HEAD - BOW YO HEAD!

I don’t really care either way, I’m still going to look forward to seeing this film. If for nothing else but consistancy and loyalty. Gotta watch every Romero film, just cos, it’s a Romero film.

Yeah, I’ll definitely see it eventually, but the fact that it’s a Romero film is reason enough not to look forward to it. I mean sure, the guys first two movies were technically impressive at the time, but 90% percent of the credit should go to Tom Savini and his effects work. Romero simply presents interesting ideas while the actual execution of those ideas is typically lacking.

I mean, as a director he has no visual style whatsoever. Anytime something looks cool in one of his movies it’s because of the visual effects supervisor, and as a writer he very rarely writes a line that feels like something a real person would do or say. Land of the Dead was full of talented actors and actresses who simply could not make the film work on more than a “well it’s a zombie movie, what’d you expect?” level.

EDIT: Not sure why I just went of on Romero like that, but… oh well, I’ll stand by what I typed.

Tom Savini’s the man! Just the fact it’s a Romero film IS reason enough to look forward to it. For me. Consistancy.

[quote=“Dex”]
Yeah, I’ll definitely see it eventually, but the fact that it’s a Romero film is reason enough not to look forward to it. I mean sure, the guys first two movies were technically impressive at the time, but 90% percent of the credit should go to Tom Savini and his effects work. Romero simply presents interesting ideas while the actual execution of those ideas is typically lacking.

[/quote]

Savini didn't have anything to do with Night Of The Living Dead.

Having said that, Romero is the Guy Ritchie of horror movies.

Apparently the film’s gotta new title. “…Of the Dead”. Not sure if that’s really the official title but they’ve printed up posters and they’ve been done filming for like a week now so I’d have to imagine they’ve settled on a title. As much as I hated reusing “Island of the Dead” “…” Is ten times worse in my opinion. I actually like the sound of the plot though. Could have potential.

Anywhere here’s the new teaser posters:

An ugly poster with a stupid tagline and a horrible title printed on it. Which all wouldn’t matter if the movie was going to be good, which it isn’t.