S. Chiba's Daughter / Julie Manase

During my travels I learned that Sonny Chiba has an actress daughter called Juri Manase aka Julie Manase.

This is her official webpage:

http://home.att.ne.jp/alpha/Julie/

And there are several pix of her in her gallery:

http://home.att.ne.jp/alpha/Julie/gallery.html

[/img]

After looking at her in costume I kinda wish QT picked her to be Oren Ishi rather than Lucy Liu.  At least Juri is Japanese and has lots of martial arts training.

She guest-starred with her father in a 1997 TV drama called “Terakoya Yume Shinan”, roughly translated as “Temple Primary School Yume instruction/guidance”.

Here is a pic of Juri and her dad, Sonny Chiba, in the 1970s.

It would have been cool if Quentin had allowed them to re-team for his movie.

So what do you think?  Does Lucy have some competition?

Yes,she looks fantastic.I wish she was in Kill Bill.

I guess the reason Quentin didn’t cast her in the Liu part,is that she looks too young.

Julie really looks cool in those pics, there’s no doubt about that.

But ever since i heard that Lucy Liu was attached to play O-ren i was excited. I really like that chick and she can be one mean bitch i believe. I think QT should be very happy she agreed to play the part.

J.W.

there’s yuki and gogo yubari, so gogo is already cast, but maybe he casts Chiba’s girl as yuki or something.

Wow, I didnt know Sonny had a daughter. Its weird seeing Sonny in a happy go lucky pic with his kid like that. I always picture him as Terry Tsurugi the really mean bastard. :slight_smile:

That would kick ass if on the credits it said : Yuki Yubari…Julie Manase

Is Yuki even gonna be in the movie though? I heard that QT cut Chapter 5 : Yukis Revenge out.

yeah, but that doesn’t mean the character’s out. there’s the Yubaris sisters, and they are also in the HOBL sequence… there The Bride kills Gogo, and so in chapter 5 Yuki seeks revenge…

Just saw Sonny Chiba’s “The Bodyguard” aka “Viva Chiba the Bodyguard” (1974) aka “Karate Kiba”.

This is the movie that opens with the text scrawl and voice over of Ezekiel 25:17 where Jules got his badass speech “The path of the righteous man…” for “Pulp Fiction”.

Anyway, I was surprised to learn that Sonny Chiba’s younger brother, Jirô Chiba, also stars.

I didn’t even know he had a brother!

Anybody else seen this film, or films with both of them in it?

Out of curiosity does anyone know why QT made up a verse? That is my only complaint about PF. It takes me out of the movie everytime.

The reason the verse is different is cuz QT took it straight out of Chiba’s “The Bodyguard”. QT didn’t get it out the Bible, he took it verbatim from Chiba’s movie (which had the altered verse), so if you wanna know the reason, ask Chiba and the makers of “The Bodyguard”!

Sonny Chiba’s daughter IS IN KILL BILL!

she plays one of the Crazy 88 and she’s the samurai trainer for the female actors.

I know! That’s fucking awesome! Great to see Juri Manase in the mix.

Keep making those wish lists, guys. Maybe we’ll get everything we ask for!

ok. I wish me a Samuel L. Jackson cameo, a John Woo cameo and I want a SEX SCENE GODDAMNIT ! HEHEHE

I want those two truckers to be played by those guys who played the assaulters in Deliverance ;D

Check out the forum/BBS over at The Unofficial Kill Bill Homepage: COME.TO - URL Shortener

There’s tons of news being spilled by the Japanese side (by a Taru3)–Lots of fresh news on all the Japanese actors and staff (including Julie Manase and Kenji Oba, the other dude in the Man from Okinawa scene) involved in the Kill Bill flick. Looks like Julie’s also teaching Uma japanese!! Someone please ask this person if members of the old Japan Action Club will be involved in the Crazy 88 scene.

All I want to know is does Sonny Chiba fight in this movie??

Sonny Chiba don´t fight in Kill Bill :frowning:

Harry Knowles said it was Julie who cut the baseball in half with a sword for the movie. No CGI needed, Julie did it for real. Too bad there won’t be any B-Roll Footage of the scene cause nobody is going to believe it.

A pity that Quentin didn’t think about having a team shooting some behind the scene footage for the DVD (more then the PR stuff).

take at the new pictures from moviebox.net that I updated on the website. There’s a picture of Julie Manase totally cool with sword on shoulders and all. check it out

right here

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.tarantino.info/pictures/movi … llery4.htm”>http://www.tarantino.info/pictures/movies/killbill/gallery4.htm</LINK_TEXT>

she looks totally cool and badass

[quote]Harry Knowles said it was Julie who cut the baseball in half with a sword for the movie. No CGI needed, Julie did it for real. Too bad there won’t be any B-Roll Footage of the scene cause nobody is going to believe it.

A pity that Quentin didn’t think about having a team shooting some behind the scene footage for the DVD (more then the PR stuff).[/quote]

A tad late to respond as such but the hell with it.

According to Harry’s set reports it was Zoe Bell(Uma’s stunt double) who did that stunt.

Here’s an excerpt from Harry’s sixth set report:

[quote]I’ve never seen anything so cool in my life. Sonny Chiba just threw a baseball at Uma Thurman’s head and she cut it in half… No strings, no break away balls… the baseball was real, the danger was real and holy shit, it really got cut in half.

I was just shaking. I mean… ya know? Like, wow. Suddenly Uma turns around to reveal that it is Zoe, Uma’s stunt double. I’m now literally in the temple of Zoe worship.
[/quote]