Cinema of cool

I would like to start a new topic about my favourite genre…

Its not really something you can capture, but you gotta have feeling for it to define it.

MOvies like versus, from dusk till dawn, Hong Kong John Woo movies are movies that fit exactly into this genre.

Because its my favourite, could you name some more? Maybe there is some shit out there that I have just missed…

I can’t really describe the genre, best thing I can do is say: its han solo meets lotsa cool quotes and lotsa stylised over the top action…

Hope some people know/ feel wtf I am talking about :wink:

I’d include Snatch and City of God. And of course Assault on Precinct 13, which was made before Star Wars so maybe Han is based on this guy. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah I know what you mean.Some movies you have to be in a type of mood to watch but “Cinema of cool”(as you say) you can watch them anytime.

My list…Fight Club,The Royal Tenenbaums,The Warriors,Versus,The Breakfast Club.

I think I may know you guys are talking about…maybe not…lol

I guess my cinema of cool would have to be Class of 1999, Renaisance Man, Groundhogs Days, and Under Pressure.

I guess cinema of cool would also include most cult movies as well; if not all.

My ‘cinema of cool’… Pulp Fiction, GBU, Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill, Escape From New Yoork and any Bond film.

The Boondock Saints

The Replacement Killers

Everything else is already mentioned :stuck_out_tongue:

First that come to mind -

The Lost Boys

The Wild Bunch

The Day of The Jackal

Robocop

Everything Sergio Leone

Licence To Kill (most cold-blooded Bond to date)

Leon

Mad Max 1 & 2

All my favorite movies :slight_smile:)

10th Victim

Branded to Kill

Chungking Express

Sharkskin Man and Peach Hip Girl

Party7

Electric Dragon 80,000 Volts

Ahah Electric Dragon is pretty crazy, really cool one.

I’ve been wanting to see that

I like to add some myself :stuck_out_tongue:

Le Samouraï, Le Cercle Rouge…evil dead trilogy, well mostly Army of Darkness I think :stuck_out_tongue:

I think alot of those Japanese New Wave films are overrated. I have Electric dragon, Burst City and bunch of others. I dont know why anyone think they’re so damn good. Its just crazy shit I cant understand. Why do I have to think its great?

What I hate the most about new asian cinema is that its sooooo damn popular…

I stick to the old stuff…and only check out the new gems…

Argh, maybe I am just ignorant :stuck_out_tongue:

Well with me, I’ve seen all kinds of stuff from Asia from classic 70s-80s-90s Kung Fu and 80s-90s HK Gun Operas to Wong Kar Wai and Zhang Yimou (China) to Japanese stuff by Suzuki, Fuksaku, Honda, Kurosawa (Japan) up to Chan Wook Park (Korea), Miike and Sogo Ishii and Kiyoshi Kurosawa (Japan). I’m just not into the new stuff like I am the older films. While I like most new Chinese cinema, the newer Japanese/Korean stuff just doesnt do it for me. Its not about ignorance, its about the kinds of aesthetics the filmmakers use.

To sum it up for me: It has a BIG MTV feel for me…

Sometimes it is great, but mostly it takes away from everything…like sucking the life out of it…

It seems alot of the time its about how crazy and/or gory they can make the movie look and not about the actual story. I dont know, it just aint my kind of cinema I guess.

Funniest thing is that if these exact same movies were made in America rather than Asia, everbody would be saying how much they suck.

The Departed is KEWL

It is, it is.

“Are you having your period?”