Asian Cinema Ticker

Here you can talk shit about asian movies, ask questions and post other stuff that doesn’t need its own topic. But no spamming, please.

I’ve got a question. I heard that Takeshi Kitano released a new movie, something about his last gangster film if I recall correct. Has anybody already seen this film?

His latest movie is Takeshis’, which was recently shown on Venice movie festival, but that film should be a comedy. Something a bit like Being John Malkovich. I haven’t heard of any other new movies.

that must be the one.

I have read about that…its like kitano meeting his kitano double or something…sounds hilirious

[quote=“WeaselCo”]
Any movie made in China, outside of Hong Kong, will just be bullshit propaganda. >:(

I can’t wait to see the Japanese stab chinese babies with their bayonets in this realistic film.
[/quote]

neither Hero nor HOuse of Flying Daggers or The Road Home etc are “bullshit propaganda” films. just because a film made in china can’t be critical of its own government, doesnt mean its propaganda. and the fact that Japan was a brutal oppupant force in the past is something you can put into a movie, why not? if you start nitpicking like that you could call every 2nd american war film bullshit propaganda, just look at those john wayne war films…come on…

You are right. Hero and Flying Daggers aren’t propaganda. They are just proof how oppresive non communists governments are. HAHAHAHAHAH! I don’t mind if they show the Japanese as the bad guys sometimes, but they are ALMOST ALWAYS the bad guys in Chinese films. This shit pollutes peoples minds. Didn’t you hear about the riots just this year where they were attacking innocent japanese workers and telling them to leave the country. Seriously, the oppression ended 50 years ago, and I’m sure it wasn’t 70 year olds that were rioting. They think the Japanese are the worst people in the world for what they done, even though it was in the past and they themselves are still oppressing the people of Taiwan and Tibet just as harshly.

something i have found in the Asian cinema section of this forum is that people crap on about films as if they think they are more intelligent if they tell people they thought certain asian films were great and yet they cant just enjoy average films. Films are entertainment. I love asian film! and when i say that i love asian film i mean it. I watch as much asian cinema as possible and i enjoy every minute of it, because i see it as entertainment.

I’ll admit that films such as this arent excellent but stop trying to act like you cant just enjoy it. It is the same as what happened to Battle Royale 2. People drone on about how it wasnt as good as the first, blah blah blah. It entertained me, so i am happy.

[quote=“Angel”]
something i have found in the Asian cinema section of this forum is that people crap on about films as if they think they are more intelligent if they tell people they thought certain asian films were great and yet they cant just enjoy average films. Films are entertainment. I love asian film! and when i say that i love asian film i mean it. I watch as much asian cinema as possible and i enjoy every minute of it, because i see it as entertainment.

I’ll admit that films such as this arent excellent but stop trying to act like you cant just enjoy it. It is the same as what happened to Battle Royale 2. People drone on about how it wasnt as good as the first, blah blah blah. It entertained me, so i am happy.
[/quote]

I moved your post from The Gingko Bed topic to general asian movie talk topic

-Hung Fist

[quote=“Angel”]

[/quote]
Actually I liked “Doom” better than “Battle Royale 2”. :-*

And I’m a huge admirer of asian movies. But I also can enjoy well-made CGI-SF-Stuff like “Natural City”. It’s a great movie in my opinion. Nothing deep, but it looks just great and the musical score is overwhelming.

You Diceman, are a reasonable person.

And yes, i think the Chinese go overboard sometimes with hating the Japanese. Seriously, who gives fuck, it’s over. The British don’t hate the Germans like the Chinese hate the Japanese. And why should they? Races should not be characterised by a earlier generations decisions. It is like saying that because Bob (made-up person) is evil, all men are evil. Don’t get me wrong, i love China, but i also love Japan.

Probably i didn’t get yr point, coz you switched rapidly in the last 2 messages.

I love asian cinema also, otherwise i wouldn’t watch it.

But that hasn’t anything to do with critizing some movies as being bad.

I mean, a watch everyday a movie, can’t be all good and haven’t to be.

Don’t think, BR 2 is a good movie, why should i say that ?

Here’s an interesting thing. I always thought Jimmy Wang Yu hated the japanese. I mean, he spent half of his career beating evil japanese conquerors. Many of his movies are very anti-japanese. Then, in 1971, he goes to Japan to make a japanese movie with a japanese film crew (Zatoichi Meets the One Armed Swordsman). Was this some sort of an apology? Or maybe he was just trying to say the political content of his movies is not supposed to be taken so seriously…

Any thoughts?

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
Here’s an interesting thing. I always thought Jimmy Wang Yu hated the japanese. I mean, he spent half of his career beating evil japanese conquerors. Many of his movies are very anti-japanese. Then, in 1971, he goes to Japan to make a japanese movie with a japanese film crew (Zatoichi Meets the One Armed Swordsman). Was this some sort of an apology? Or maybe he was just trying to say the political content of his movies is not supposed to be taken so seriously…

Any thoughts?
[/quote]

i have always wondered about that, but i cant say i know why.

[quote=“Contrai”]
Probably i didn’t get yr point, coz you switched rapidly in the last 2 messages.

I love asian cinema also, otherwise i wouldn’t watch it.

But that hasn’t anything to do with critizing some movies as being bad.

I mean, a watch everyday a movie, can’t be all good and haven’t to be.

Don’t think, BR 2 is a good movie, why should i say that ?
[/quote]

i was just making a point that Asian cinema seems to be rated more harsh than American films. Diceman’s comment about liking Doom more than BR2 kind of seemed strange.

I wasnt saying pretend you like a film, but Asians do tend to make films like Hollywood, Films that are merely entertainment. We can’t always assume that they are going to make thought-provoking arthouse and precise and perfect kung fu.

It was just an observation, i got a bit angry though. Sorry abotu that.

Hm. I never thought that all Asian movies have to have any special massage… I watch movies to let me entertain in the first place. It´s surly nice to get something more from them, but… for me it´s not a necessaty. On the other hand, if I really wanna learn something then I watch documentaries or reportages. :wink:

[quote=“Angel”]
i was just making a point that Asian cinema seems to be rated more harsh than American films. Diceman’s comment about liking Doom more than BR2 kind of seemed strange.
[/quote]
Hmm, I always thought it was the other way round. There’s a lot more asian-movie-buffs bashing Hollywood-Movies (including me in certain rare cases), than “Mainstreamers” (Sorry, but you know what I mean) bashing asian movies. In most cases the latter group of people just ignores anything coming out from asia, they’re not interested, that’s why they are satisfied with the odd Steaven-Seagal-Beat-em-up. Or they don’t like to read subtitles. But they don’t talk as harsh as an hardcore-asian-movie-watcher. For example in another board there was a guy, who claimed, he doesn’t watch Jerry Bruckheimer, because it’s all crap, equally. But then he says, that he recently watched the Korean “Tube” or the Japanese “Returner” and found it an awesome experience, and that’s just not fair. I like both of them, “Tube” and “Returner” for what they are, but I’m also able to say, without blushing, that I enjoyed the heck out of “Bad Boys 2”.

And “Natural City” is epic eye-candy with a great musical score, one of my most favorite SF-Movies up today, shut up CPS. :-*

Damn.

I just heard the best news ever: A french company called Wild Side Video announced they are going to release Combats des maîtres II (Drunken Master 2) on dvd. Knowing the french standards, it will most likely be uncut, original language, original soundtrack and fully remastered… ;D ;D ;D

Now the bad news: it was a bloody mistake. They are not going to release Combats des maîtres II. Instead they are going to release Combats des maîtres (Challange of the Masters).

Damn :’(

So I was looking at dvds and saw a movie by Fukasaku called Sympathy for the Underdog. I wonder if Chan-Wook Park was making a homage to the name or if its just coincidence.

[quote=“WeaselCo”]
So I was looking at dvds and saw a movie by Fukasaku called Sympathy for the Underdog. I wonder if Chan-Wook Park was making a homage to the name or if its just coincidence.
[/quote]

i would say, the release company of the dvd is trying to draw a connection, the international title is Gamblers in Okinawa

well my fave jap film is battle royale absolutley fantastic if you havent seen it go watch it its worth your time whether u like subtitles or not u will stil love it.