Blaxpoitation Films

QT was a huge of fan of the whole blaxpoition genre. He loved all those movies like Foxy Brown or Coffy with Pam Grier. I was wondering if anyobdy here as seen any and if so which ones because this is a really cool genre.

1 Like

i own:

Shaft

Shaft in Africa

Superfly

Foxy Brown

Three the Hard Way

and i like but dont own: The Mack, Across 110th Street, Detroit 9000 …

I’ve already seen Across 110th Street. Loved that movie.

My most favorite genre ever!!! Well, 1 of my most favorites, at least:

Black Caesar-Fred Williamson’s best performance and character

Coffy-My favorite Pam flick. Guns,boobies,one-liners…It’s all here

Shaft trilogy-1st one’s a classic, of course, but Shaft in Africa is actually my favorite

The Mack-Pimpin’ at it’s best. Willie Dynamite is just as good.

Black Belt Jones-Had to throw Jim Kelly in here somewhere!

Cotton Comes to Harlem-Solid cast makes this caper/heist flick enjoyable

Blacula-Still fun to watch after all these years. Better than it sounds.

Super Fly-Definetly one of the defining flicks of the era. Thanks to Ron O’neal’s performance and Curtis Mayfield’s legendary soundtrack.

J.D.'s Revenge-I never get sick of watching this one!

Cleopatra Jones-Pam Grier wasn’t the only fine mama that kicked booty!

Truck Turner-Violent, shoot-'em-up action vehicle with Isacc Hayes as the title character! Guest appearances by Yaphet Kotto,Dick Miller,Scatman Crothers and a foul-mouthed Nichelle Nichols!

Last, but certainly not least:

Dolemite-Rudy Ray Moore’s “Ed Wood-ish” epic has to be seen to be believed. And don’t miss the sequel, Human Tornado! Technically, it’s a little better made than the predecessor, but way more fun, IMO

The all Shaft

Many with Pam Grier: Coffy, Foxy Brown for the most wellknown

Superfly

Across 110th Street

Sweet sweet badaaasssong (or don’t how to write this title)

Black Caesar

Blacula

Cleopatra Jones

Truck Turner

… fro the principals. Love that genr !

What about 'Hell up in Harlem’

Thats the sequel to ‘Black Ceasar’.

I think :-</E>

[quote=“j_c”]
What about 'Hell up in Harlem’

Thats the sequel to ‘Black Ceasar’.

I think :-</E>
[/quote]

Um, it’s ok. I think it’s the most rushed sequel in history because Williamson isn’t even in half of the movie (He was working on another movie at the same time) and a body double was used for over 40% of the movie. But it’s got a few cool action scenes and some memorable music provided by Edwin Starr.

In the early nineties Ice-T presented a programme about blaxploitation cinema on Channel 4’s arts strand ‘Without Walls’. A very passionate defence and celebration of the genre starting with ‘Sweet Sweetback’s Baaadasssss Song’. Prior to that blaxploitation as a genre was dismissed. I cannot say, “unfairly dismissed” as I have only seen one film within that genre, ‘Sweetback’. It was probably the term ‘blaxploitation’ that made it, to some, dismissable. “Exploiting Blacks!” Indeed an actress, whose name escapes me, of that period said in the documentary ‘Badass Cinema’ that she hated that term. The movie ‘Hollywood Shuffle’ features a scene where the wannabe actor has to degrade himself by appearing in a blaxploitation movie and be instructed to act a little more ‘black’. So Ice-T and Quentin Tarantino were sailing against cinematic recieved critical opinion by celebrating ‘Foxy Brown’, ‘Coffy’ and ‘Black Caesar’ and good for them I say.

For ‘Neon’, a defunct British movie magazine, Tarantino wrote an article on his love for blaxploitation cinema. He concluded with a line from a hip-hop song (I think it was by Public Enemy)

" What’s on at the cinema? Driving Miss Daisy? Fuck that shit! Let’s stay at home and watch Black Caesar."

someone wanna write a good article about Blaxploitation at the Flickopedia?

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://flickopedia.tarantino.info/index … ploitation”>http://flickopedia.tarantino.info/index.php/Blaxploitation</LINK_TEXT>

I can’t do Blaxploitation but I could do somethin on the Shaw Brothers if you want, Seb?

[quote=“j_c”]
I can’t do Blaxploitation but I could do somethin on the Shaw Brothers if you want, Seb?
[/quote]

i dont care. as long as SOMEBODY starts working in the Flickopedia.

I really want to get some stuff on it.

I’ll pm you that article on the SBs I wrote so you can have a look at it.

blaxpoitation is one of my fav

Black ceasar

the mack

coffy

super fly

many more

For talking Tarantino and this subjet obviously you have Rolling Thunder release of Detroit 9000… which is a must see/own.

From the film fests he threw he has screened (and I know I’m missing a couple):

Brotherhood of Death

Bucktown

Coonskin

…tick…tick…tick…

Others that I’ve heard him mention in good regards:

Black Gunn

Black Belt Jones

Candy Tangerine Man

Corn Bread Earl and Me

Darktown Strutters

Five on the Black Hand Side

Hit Man

J.D.'s Revenge - you should see him light up when talking about this movie

Mack

Truck Turner

[quote=“badassmovieman”]
Candy Tangerine Man
[/quote]

This is said to be a favorite of Sam Jackson’s too. I still haven’t seen it yet.

There was a rumor that this was supposed to appear on the new DVD cult label, SUBVERSSIVE CINEMA, but I haven’t heard nothing on it.

I have it on good authority that Subversive is indeed working on a Candy Tangerine Man dvd, but it’s a bit down the road.

Meanwhile, John Daniels’ other blax classic IS out on dvd now:

[quote=“Seb (admin)”]
someone wanna write a good article about Blaxploitation at the Flickopedia?

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://flickopedia.tarantino.info/index … ploitation”>http://flickopedia.tarantino.info/index.php/Blaxploitation</LINK_TEXT>
[/quote]

And yes seb, I definitely would love to. I might be able to do some work on it this Saturday in fact.

My video store as a whole blaxploitation section. (although i could possibly be the only person who actually borrows them on a regular basis) Can’t get enough of it! loved Foxy Brown, Shaft, Sweet Sweetback’s baaadaaassss song, superfly (definitely!), Black Caesar, (those all my alltime faves, among others)

[quote=“mondo68”]
Meanwhile, John Daniels’ other blax classic IS out on dvd now:

[/quote]

This was a trip.

I heard that Trouble Man is on it’s way on DVD this January.

Candy Tangerine Man and Trouble Man. Ive been waiting to see those for years. I’ll definitely pick them up when they are released!