Most overrated movies

Ever watched an Oscar winner and saying “This is crap”?

What is the most overrated movies of all time.

I’m talking about movies that have recieved awards or very good reviews, even if the movie is shit.

If I should choose five overrated movies, it would be…

1. Chicago
  2. Analyze this
  3. The Green Mile
  4. Black Hawk Down
  5. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

(If anyone claimed that Die Another Day was a descent Bond film, it would be the worst overrating ever)

All of these are great films. What about Pearl Harbor? (Back in the day before we started to wake up and realize the movie sucked). E. T. does get a little too much attention, and is often cited as Spielberg’s masterpiece. I beg to differ. I think Schindler’s List is his best. #'s 2, 3 and 4 aren’t cited that often as wonderful films, or masterpieces, so I don’t see where you are getting the overrated factor from. Wouldn’t this thread be better labled, “Films I don’t like that most people do”?

I think Requeim for a Dream is overrated, but thats just my opinion…I still like the movie, I just think its overrated, you dig?

Holiday…

Yeah, you may be right about the topic. As for Pearl Harbor, I havn’t bothered to see it, my friends tell me it’s a bad movie.

Analyze this has recieved several awards, It didn’t have to be oscars. And you would think people enjoyed the movie, they have after all made Analyze that.

These movies I have mentioned have been regarded as very good, by many. But every one of them was boring as hell, or stupid, but that’s my opinion.

About Requiem for a dream: Everyone is telling me that watching this movie more than once would be masochism. Is it that nerve-racking?

Mh, an overrated movie in my opinion is American History X - but I think this has already been discussed in here :wink:

i think overrated means, that you rate something pretty high although its crap.

ergo-> why is Pearl Harbor overrated? did anyone even bother to rate that piece of shizznit?

I was talking about how when it first came out, tons of people saw it and thought it was a new better Titantic. The morons that saw it in the first place said enough good things about it and gave it enoug claim that some intelligent people decided to watch the movie. Then and only then did the movie become known as crap. For the first week or two…gosh. That is such a bad movie.

TITANIC!!!

what a fucking overrated movie. of course such a movie can’t go wrong, because its a remake of a remake of a remake of a remake, or how many thousand Titanic films have there been before? you can’t make anything wrong if hundreds of directors have done that job before you already.

the icon of an overrated movie

1. Black Hawk Down (Oneof ther most repetative movies I have ever seen)

2. Unforgiven (Good but not worthy of best picture: A Few Good Men and Scent of a Women were way better)

3. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Its wasn’t a bad movie at all. In fact it was one of the best films of 2002; however, I thought that it was nothing in the shadow of the Fellowship of the Ring and that in that reguard it was highly overrated)

4. Shakespeare In Love (Won best picture of Saving Private Ryan and Elizabeth: Both of these were far more superior films)

5. Chariots of Fire (Boring elegant epic film. Running on the beach? Who cares!)

Chicago kicked ass. It was the best film this year. The Green Mile (A little long), but definately a great film. And AAmerican History X? Yes it had some huge flaws but I think that most of them can be easily overlooked.

How the hell can you people say BLACK HAWK DOWN is overrated!

I feel that we need to mail a DVD of Black Hawk Down over to 1600 Penn Avenue and arrange a screening for Bush and Donald Rumsfeld and I guarantee that if they are not emotionally touched by this film they are not human!

[quote]…they are not human![/quote]

Rummy and George are human? I thought they were labrats let loose on democracy :wink:

I think Black Hawk Down isn’t overrated, but not very much of a good war film.

How much do you know about the Somalia conflict after you watch that film? besides, it wasn’t only americans down there. Next to that famous US Marines camp was an entire division of German, Dutch and I think even French UN soldiers.

That somalia think is a lot more complex than some CQs battle, Black Hawk Down is trivilalizing that entire thing.

I don’t think BHD was overrated. I have it on dvd and i love it. And the movie wasn’t made to let us know about the somalia conflict, it was all about a mission that was suposed to take 30 minutes and not the entire day and night. That was the whole point of BHD. But hey, that’s only my opinion! :wink:

How about Forrest Gump??? >:(

I think its a pretty good movie. ;D

[quote]How about Forrest Gump???  >:([/quote]

forrest gump? that’s one of the most beautiful films ever made, man. just because it’s not full of guns, pop-culture dialogue or rated-R material doesn’t mean its not a good film.

the acting! the story! forrest gump is a milestone, it might not be one of the best movies ever made - it’s surely NOT - but its one damn fine piece of motion picture entertainment.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Gump is a good movie, but vastly ovverated. It surely didn’t deserve to win the oscar in 1995, for obvious reasons. First of all, it’s highly unrealistic. We’ve got a mentally challenged guy who seems to be present in EVERY major event of the 60’s and 70’s and 80’s because he’s just in the right place at the right time. What was the point other than pleasing the audience with real-life footage of old American presidents? If there is one main message in the movie, it is probably that no matter how hard you try, there will always be some lucky bloke who’ll be better off than you. Forrest achieved what he achieved because everyone else’s ship sank, not because he manages to do something extraordinary. Also, the 1st thing a movie needs is a good plot, yet this movie seems to have hundred of plots all rammed up in a full 3 hours of utter boredom. All these factors shoudln’t have won Gump best picture of the year, especially when you have such strong innovative contenders like Pulp Fiction and Shawhank redemption. But hey, that’s just my opinion :wink:

most overrated movies?? donnie darko is starting to get up there, i just keep hearing about it all the time. requiem for a dream, i dont think is overrated at all. american beauty is though, i like it a lot, but it was overrated. and yes, black hawk down is definately overrated too.

[quote]Don’t get me wrong, I think Gump is a good movie, but vastly ovverated. It surely didn’t deserve to win the oscar in 1995, for obvious reasons. First of all, it’s highly unrealistic. We’ve got a mentally challenged guy who seems to be present in EVERY major event of the 60’s and 70’s and 80’s because he’s just in the right place at the right time. What was the point other than pleasing the audience with real-life footage of old American presidents? If there is one main message in the movie, it is probably that no matter how hard you try, there will always be some lucky bloke who’ll be better off than you. Forrest achieved what he achieved because everyone else’s ship sank, not because he manages to do something extraordinary. Also, the 1st thing a movie needs is a good plot, yet this movie seems to have hundred of plots all rammed up in a full 3 hours of utter boredom. All these factors shoudln’t have won Gump best picture of the year, especially when you have such strong innovative contenders like Pulp Fiction and Shawhank redemption. But hey, that’s just my opinion :wink:[/quote]

dude, i know what you’re pointing at, but its definitely not that way. Forrest Gump IS a fantasy movie. read the novel, that novel is even more weird.

but its the heart of the movie, that moving story, that great character, that great acting, the tremendous directing effort (watch the making-of-s on the 2-disc DVD) and just the feeling. i mean, that is a real movie. you know what i’m talking about, now? its a moving story, in a great movie, not the greatest movie ever but definitely great, and apart from the fact that Pulp Fiction rocks, Forrest Gump is still the better film in terms of directing and movie-ish-ness… look at it… it’s a great film, that captures shitloads of content within a 2 hour span… i love it

[quote]

and apart from the fact that Pulp Fiction rocks, Forrest Gump is still the better film in terms of directing and movie-ish-ness… look at it… it’s a great film, that captures shitloads of content within a 2 hour span…  i love it
[/quote]

Forrest Gump is BETTER than Pulp Fiction?!!! Dude, are you on crack?!! I can’t believe what your saying.

I’ts not THAT great. I’ve watched it a few times, but I think Pulp Fiction is definitely a more special film. Thats why I’m here as a QT fan.

Pulp has: brilliant direction (QT is a genius), ALL great colorful characters, great (copied by everyone) dialogue, NO CGI, thrilling moments that will never be forgotten, great non linear storyline (copied by everyone), a huge cult following, great music. Winner of the Palme D’Or at Cannes, tons of awards. Its also had a major impact on pop culture and the entire moviemaking process… Not to mention how many times Ive watched the film. ALOT!!

Forrest Gump has: cool concept, good direction, a few good characters (Forrest, Jenny, Lt Dan), good dialogue, LOTS OF CGI, some classic rock music, some touching moments. Won the Oscar for Best Picture (Wow), so did Gladiator, that tells you how much the Oscars mean. lol.

For all of Forrest Gumps huge ideas and budget, Pulp Fiction has made more of an impact on modern film with its 8 million dollar budget. That is a FACT.

I gotta stick with Pulp Fiction over Gump. Its definitely the better film IMO.

Seb, Now your gonna have to make a Robert Zemeckis website!!!

Q and Bob are good friends, by the way.

i stick to my point, you know how much i love pulp, but if i’d been in the Academy Award Jury, i’d have voted for Forrest as well.