Shane mother fucking Black

<LINK_TEXT text=“2009: Or Everything That Happened This Year, In Satirical Script Form | … y-wrylies/”>Studio exec stops reading Shane Black script because of too many wrylies |</LINK_TEXT>

Saw this and almost shit, mostly because I have no trouble believing it could actually happen.

Black is hands down one of my favorite writers. God knows we need another one of his flicks around. They may not be great, but they’re just so much better than the shit that comes out now. A new Black would be a breath of fresh air.

I can understand the exec’s point of view. They are usually lenient on such big names because they are often commissioned to write the scripts, but if you think about it, it is a technical document of sorts.

You aren’t supposed to have any camera directions, not too many acting directions, no editing directions, references to the audience, etc. People like Tarantino just do it because they’ll end up directing the script anyway.

That’s the art of screenwriting, basically writing in such a creative way that you indirectly get the director to do what you want him to do without him thinking you are directing him. Basically write him into a corner.

It’s funny though, his script must have been really self-referential, because Shane Black, after all these years, should be able to get away with quite a lot.

[quote=“Angel”]It’s funny though, his script must have been really self-referential, because Shane Black, after all these years, should be able to get away with quite a lot.[/quote]

In a lot of his interviews he talks about how after that gap between Goodnight and Bang Bang some people didn’t even know who the guy was!

You a fan of his? Are you really hoping that he gets to do Doc Savage?

A lot of that screenwriting stuff I don’t buy into. Scripts are so fucking boring to read half the time anyway to punch them up cannot hurt. It’s a strange set of rules to me, maybe just because of the massive amounts of scripts Hollywood folk have to read they get tired of the cutesy prose. Fuck 'em.