Jean-Luc Godard

<LINK_TEXT text=“- YouTube … re=related”>- YouTube</LINK_TEXT>

Can you believe what this guy is saying! This pretentious asshole, wannabe philosopher with a camera. I had my suspicions about Jean-Luc Godard, the guy speaks like he’s the god of filmmaking, as if the world couldn’t survive without his movies.

That’s sad to hear you don’t like him, since Punch-Drunk Love was influenced by Godard and his films. Inglourious Basterds was influenced by his films as well. Your 2 fav directors right now (PTA, QT) are both highly influenced by Godard.

Plus what was bad about that video? The end? That sounded like a Kubrick, Tarantino thing to say if you asked me.

I like them for what I see. If they saw something in Godard, that’s fine. I fucking hate that guy just hearing him speak like that. Look at what he says here:

"I pass my time smiling at people who are nothing and should not even exist, or that I would put in prisons if it was up to me."

The man speaks like he’s Jesus Christ. He’s human like you and me, just because he made movies it doesn’t mean he’s better than anyone else. I bet if he would have made films in Hollywood he would be nothing. Let him stand against a man like William Wyler, who was a humble man in his essence and one of the best filmmakers ever.

QT walks around like he’s God or something as well though. Godard made a valid point to start it off, but yes, he is a director that thinks highly of himself, but to not think QT doesn’t, is wrong. QT can’t keep his mouth shut about how he thinks about himself for 2 seconds. Example, he wants other movies’ music, because he doesn’t want a composer. That sounds like he is into himself to me.

But still, Godard’s films in general are must-see.

I didn’t say shit about his films. I haven’t seen one. QT is more of a self promoter and doesn’t look down on everything he sees. I think Godard was a little too smart for movies. I’d rather see Jean Renoir films before watching his shit.

highly influential but i always tend to prefer truffauts stuff.

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
I didn’t say shit about his films.[/quote]

I believe you edit your first post, but you said his films were shit.:slight_smile:

Band of Outsiders is an absolutely beautiful film and one of my favorites. I like Breathless as well, though I’m not as in love with it as some of Godard’s fans seem to be.

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
I didn’t say shit about his films. I haven’t seen one. QT is more of a self promoter and doesn’t look down on everything he sees. I think Godard was a little too smart for movies. I’d rather see Jean Renoir films before watching his shit.
[/quote]

Yeah, but Renoir is a God. As much as I respect Godard, it’s not a fair comparison.

I agree about Renoir. I saw him talking about the advances of film and how far it can go. God, and The Southerner with Zachary Scott is one of the best films ever made - it’s a family picture, the way they move on after the floods ruin all their cotton.

Godard is extremely influential. You have no idea what people he’s talking about in that interview and whether it’s true or not what he’s saying.

My suggestion is you focus on the man’s films and not the man himself. His Contempt is one of my favorite films.

As far as Renoir goes, I’m happy to hear you know of him and you’ve seen at least his USA productions. You should check out his masterpieces Rules of the Game and Grand Illusion though my personal favorite is La Bete Humaine. Though be warned, all three have subtitles and were not made in Hollywood :-/

Renoir’s adaptation of The Lower Depths is in my top five favourite films. I don’t know why I liked it more than Rules of the Game (which I still love very much), but it might have to do with Louis Jouvet’s performance. Which is Godly.

I don’t think anyone needs a subtitles warning though, dude. Bio is not quite the illiterate fool he likes to make himself out as.

I agree, Bio knows his shit, and is actually pretty cool. Just hope he can finally get to watch some Godard.

Awesome banner G.

I dig Godard’s early stuff, then he got all weird and political and I stopped caring. Breathless is easily in my top twenty favorite films.

[quote=“Ordell Rodriguez”]
Awesome banner G.

I dig Godard’s early stuff, then he got all weird and political and I stopped caring. Breathless is easily in my top twenty favorite films.
[/quote]

Thanks, I made it last night. I thought purple (which is not a fav color) works great with it. Also my Killing Of A Chinese Bookie DVD art is purple.

Anyway, I am still stuck in Godard’s “New Wave” era films and have yet to branch out into his later films. But I love what I have seen, and have became a fan even more with every new thing.

He’s from France what do you expect.

I happened to watch The Rules Of The Game just today and stumbled upon the Jean Renoir discussion here. Is that movie really considered as being his masterpiece? It’s pretty unbelievable to me. Yes, the scenario and writing is decent, but the acting is dreadful. It’s so overdone it was painful to watch, most of the time. Renoir’s acting as Octave was the worst of the movie, I had no idea it was him until I checked the IMDB page just right now. Unbelievable.

Maybe I have to take in account that it was released in 1936, but unless it’s one of the first “spoken movie”, I see no excuse for this overacting.

He probably influenced the cinema as we know it today though, that would explain why he’s considered as legend, a few scenes really caught my attention and the camerawork was sometimes really amazing, but again the false acting really got me out of it.

[quote=“RatQuiRit”]
I happened to watch The Rules Of The Game just today and stumbled upon the Jean Renoir discussion here. Is that movie really considered as being his masterpiece? It’s pretty unbelievable to me. Yes, the scenario and writing is decent, but the acting is dreadful. It’s so overdone it was painful to watch, most of the time. Renoir’s acting as Octave was the worst of the movie, I had no idea it was him until I checked the IMDB page just right now. Unbelievable.

Maybe I have to take in account that it was released in 1936, but unless it’s one of the first “spoken movie”, I see no excuse for this overacting.

He probably influenced the cinema as we know it today though, that would explain why he’s considered as legend, a few scenes really caught my attention and the camerawork was sometimes really amazing, but again the false acting really got me out of it.
[/quote]

I think its supposed to be taken as a farce on the tensions in Europe at the time, the attitudes of the bourgeois and the upcoming war. Though I’m sure the acting is more infuriating if you can speak French and aren’t just following the subtitles.

It really is a leap forward in terms of technique in European cinema and broke away from soviet montage editing (apart from the hunt scene) and used a lot of long takes. It took me 3 times to realise that it its a great movie, still dont think its a patch on citizen kane though.

[quote]Can you believe what this guy is saying! This pretentious asshole, wannabe philosopher with a camera. I had my suspicions about Jean-Luc Godard, the guy speaks like he’s the god of filmmaking, as if the world couldn’t survive without his movies.[/quote]

He is a philosopher with a camera.

He is the god of filmmaker (God + ard!).

The world could not survive without his movies. To be fair, the world doesn’t stand much of a chance with his movies.

Please note the bombastic absurdity of my statements above, and note that bombastic absurdity is a common element of both JLG and QT. They celebrate the history of cinema, and they defy it. And they’re both ridiculous assholes sometimes. God bless em.