Film Of The Month

Recommend one movie out of the month that you feel is worth watching.

Pick for August: Elephant

My pick for August: Blue Spring (2001, Toshiaki Toyoda)

Ahhhh, Blue Spring! Good times, good times! 8)

[quote=“Seth_Gecko”]
Ahhhh, Blue Spring! Good times, good times! 8)
[/quote]You sir, are a good man! Anyone who has seen (and enjoyed… but the two things are the same thing since how could you not?) Blue Spring is cool with me 8)

Funny People - This is a definite must see film, especially if you like Adam Sandler to some degree. In my opinion it’s the best film of the year so far.

My pick for august?

INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS

probably Dog Day Afternoon

[quote=“pantsman”]
My pick for August: Blue Spring (2001, Toshiaki Toyoda)
[/quote]

Blue Spring is an excellent film.

Have you seen 9 Souls? Toyoda’s follow-up to Blue Spring. As unlikely as it sounds, I think it’s even better than Blue Spring.

My pick for August is Death of a Cyclist (1955, Juan Antonio Bardem).

[quote=“Angel”]
Blue Spring is an excellent film.

Have you seen 9 Souls? Toyoda’s follow-up to Blue Spring. As unlikely as it sounds, I think it’s even better than Blue Spring.

My pick for August is Death of a Cyclist (1955, Juan Antonio Bardem).
[/quote]
Yeah, 9 Souls is amazing as well. An even more ambitious film to be sure. I think I’m still more partial to Blue Spring, as it was my gateway into Toyoda’s world - but both are really just absolutely amazing. Hanging Garden, Toyoda’s film after 9 Souls, is also really great. It’s a family drama, but just like the rest of his work, it is absolutely beautiful. Amazing filmmaker. Toyoda is finally making another film right now, the news broke like last month. Looks like it’s going to be a period film and based off of some mythological tale. Should be great!

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
Funny People - This is a definite must see film, especially if you like Adam Sandler to some degree. In my opinion it’s the best film of the year so far.

[/quote]

So excited for this! Any chance to watch Seth Rogen. I love that man. I’ve also been warned that I will probably cry … what do you think Bio? Tearjerker? (Bare in mind, I cried during Finding Nemo, I tear up easily)

[quote=“cherrydarling”]
So excited for this! Any chance to watch Seth Rogen. I love that man. I’ve also been warned that I will probably cry … what do you think Bio? Tearjerker? (Bare in mind, I cried during Finding Nemo, I tear up easily)
[/quote]

To me it almost came when George Simmons (Sandler) and Ira (Rogen) are playing with the kids. It’s a montage that got to me for a moment. The ending to me was also perfect. I’ve read some reviews where the critics question WHY George went out to see his old girlfriend - they say that ruined the movie. To me it is an idiotic thing to question the motivations of a character. I mean the girl is set-up from the beginning, so obviously this woman is in George’s mind, and he blames the lonliness he feels on the old relationship he messed up long ago. I can’t believe they pay critics to say bullshit like that, you don’t question a character, ever! People have minds of their own, they can change their minds and feel what they want. To question that stuff - it’s just plain stupid.

Tenebrae (Dario Argento) - best Giallo ever!

[quote=“Mr.Pink”]
probably Dog Day Afternoon
[/quote]

I do make a point of watching it on August 22nd every year.

Come rain, or come shine. If I don’t have the time, I make time.

Huh… Maybe you’re not a completely loathsome piece of shit after all, Evil Pink.

[quote=“Elmer Ephraim Ellsworth”]
I do make a point of watching it on August 22nd every year.

Come rain, or come shine. If I don’t have the time, I make time.

Huh… Maybe your not a completely loathsome piece of shit after all, Evil Pink.
[/quote]

You remembered my birthday! How nice!

We all know where I’m going to be that day.

That’s right. Watching Inglourious Basterds!

[quote=“blue_lou_boyle”]
Tenebrae (Dario Argento) - best Giallo ever!
[/quote]

I was just thinking about Argento recently. Someone wanted me to recommend films that were actually scary and I said Argento is about the closest I’ve come to real fear in cinema since I was young.

EDIT: If you are wondering where your posts went, Mr. Pink, I deleted both yours and mine because it was too far off-topic. Let’s keep it about films of the month.

As Much as I love Argento (Well at least argento until the 90’s! :stuck_out_tongue:) I’ve never really found his stuff all that scary. I’m usually geeking out over a shot or the lighting or just enjoying the whole detective story of the thing.

The only film that scared me recently was The Exorcist (The original), a lot of people don’t think so but theres something about the atmosphere of that movie thats got a real malevolence behind it.

I actually havent seen Drag Me to hell yet but my friends said they were actually scared in the cinema watching that.

The Exorcist is one movie I will never watch again! It scared the crap outta me. Can’t even look at the cover of the movie without cringing. My sister once offered me $100 to watch it again and I couldn’t bring myself to do it … it’s just horrible to me.

yeah i saw it on tv late one cold winter night, my house was freezing - it just creeped me out. I’m a horror fan and this is one of the few times I remember being scared. I was thinking at the time that its cool that a movie could still have that effect on me.

Honourable mention goes to Wolf Creek - Grizzly stuff.

Definitely. It’s funny because they guy who is the psycho in Wolf Creek, used to be a host on a children’s show when I was a kid. He used to play with bears and sing songs to me, now he scares the shite out of me. That movie has put me off driving to the other side of Australia. No desire to see the outback anymore.

My current film of the month would have to be Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Rediscovering my love for it all over again. Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro are too good.

[quote=“blue_lou_boyle”]

Honourable mention goes to Wolf Creek - Grizzly stuff.
[/quote]

Wolf Creek is easily one of the best horror movies in the last ten years. Highly recommend for Horror buffs out there.