Django Unchained review

Here it is people

<LINK_TEXT text=“Django Rocks San Diego Comic Con - The Quentin Tarantino Archives … ie-review/”>Django Unchained movie review - The Quentin Tarantino Archives</LINK_TEXT>

Very well written review, Seb! I can’t wait 'til Christmas so I can see it!

out now. go see it today!

Here is peter’s

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.furiouscinema.com/2012/12/qu … unchained/”>http://www.furiouscinema.com/2012/12/quentin-tarantinos-django-unchained/</LINK_TEXT>

yeah I saw it Christmas day (noon to be exact) it was great! So much violence though which to me is a negative. I am a Tarantino fan that doesn’t like violent scenes. I like his movies for the dialogue, characters, imagery, soundtrack and story. I didn’t mind the violence in Kill Bill at all because it was like a cartoon but I struggled watching certain scenes in both IB and DU. The Mandingo fight in the tavern and the dogs in particular were a bit much…

Saw this on Christmas Day. Wasn’t disappointed, which I’m glad to say. Wish I could see it again, was rather surprised how many people got up Christmas morning to see a 10:30am showing of a QT film. I thought I would be there alone, LOL.

But everyone seemed to enjoy the film. There is violence,duh. But then again, we are talking about slavery. And Quentin does like violence in films. Portraying slavery and humor is walking a fine line. And QT was able to do this quite successfully.

I found myself laughing, and taken a back at some scenes. And I’m not a soft touch. But, that was the reality of the times.

I also wish there were more adventures of the bounty hunters.

I still haven’t seen it. Part of me doesn’t want to watch it for fear that it will suck.

And btw, Seb, I’m dissapointed at your lack of promotion of this website. This place is dead. Literally. Do something. It’s been dead ever since I got banned on my old account.

you’re equating the website with its forum :wink: not the same thing, both in terms of popularity as well as in terms of my promotion of it :slight_smile: but 2013 will be a new day…

I hate living in Australia sometimes. I have to wait until the 24th for it.

I’m still waiting too. 24th. I hope a lot of the old guys come back for the release so we can talk about it like the old days. :slight_smile:

[quote=“MrPinkMan”]I still haven’t seen it. Part of me doesn’t want to watch it for fear that it will suck.

And btw, Seb, I’m dissapointed at your lack of promotion of this website. This place is dead. Literally. Do something. It’s been dead ever since I got banned on my old account.[/quote]

You would hate it. Since you hate Jews you most definitely also are not fond of black people and would very much not like it because there's a lot of violence against white people by the black main character.

I say sit this one out, maybe QT will make a movie some day without Jews or black people as the lead protagonists.

[quote=“Angel”]I’m still waiting too. 24th. I hope a lot of the old guys come back for the release so we can talk about it like the old days. :slight_smile:[/quote]
I’ve been wanting some good conversation on here. But it seems no-one is ever here.

Haven’t posted in here for a while! Can’t wait for Django Unchained, I’m going to watch it next week. I know very little about it, so going in with quite an open mind. Hopefully it’s better than Inglourious Basterds! :slight_smile:

[quote=“Ify”]Haven’t posted in here for a while! Can’t wait for Django Unchained, I’m going to watch it next week. I know very little about it, so going in with quite an open mind. Hopefully it’s better than Inglourious Basterds! :slight_smile:[/quote]

Same as that. One week from today, I will post my review up after.

I read the script - it was a 5/5 masterpiece and the most entertaining thing I read since Kill Bill. I’m going in with quite low expectations however, but not low enough for me to NOT expect it to be better than the disappointing Basterds. That includes the soundtrack, which I have been listening to non-stop for the past month, again the best one since Kill Bill’s. (By the way I should mention since the release of Death Proof and IB I have a lot more appreciation for Kill Bill now - especially Vol. 2, which I think has some of his best stuff to date.)

I enjoyed your review, Seb.

nice to see some old school qt forum peeps. i saw django opening day and it was fucking incredible. easily one of my favorites from q.

Guys, Basterds was awesome. Granted, not my favorite of his… But freaking amazing!

What a great movie. I thought this was so much more entertaining than Basterds.

Every scene was the right length. The acting was amazing (I’m still not a big Waltz fan and his over-the-top theatrics and mannerisms, but I enjoyed here more than IB - only really liked him in the opening scene of that). The soundtrack was amazing. I disagree with what Seb said regarding how it’s used in the film etc. and he wasn’t the only one to say that so I was worried, but that was amazing. Again, beats Basterds any day in that aspect too. Every song was brilliant, the right amount used, and played perfectly over every scene.

I did have a few problems with it of course - I agree with Seb here for the main one that some of the supporting characters could have been giving more to do. Especially Kerry who was amazing and Walton Goggins - one of my favourites scenes in the script got cut at the final hurdle. Also, he should never have cut the scene of Django putting Stephen in his place in the bedroom, another scene that was in until the last minute. Also, he could have pushed the envelope more, been more violent. Every time Schultz questions Django about the Brittle Bros there was another horrific flashback each time (the rape scene etc. which was glimpsed at in the first trailers) but now it’s just cut down to the one - the whipping just before Django kills the Brittle. As well as the uncut versions of the Mandingo fight, dog scene and torture scene.

A few things could have been trimmed. The training/bounty hunting montage could have had a little more footage to smooth out Django’s transition from slave to bounty hunter. I’m glad a lot of the scene were tightened up a lot to keep things moving (scene like the opening, the first town, Big Daddy’s house etc. you can tell were all shortened but I wouldn’t want them any longer). It’s not quite the masterpiece it could have been with those faults in there. I think a 3 hour version with a couple of trims in some parts and those flashbacks, more Billy Crash and the Django-Stephen scenes added would be just amazing. Also QT should never have put himself in that scene, he ruined it and took everyone out of the film, thankfully it was only around 5 minutes.

I only saw it last night so will have to see it again to get a better idea how good I think it is and where it should end up in QT’s rankings…but as of now I think it could be his best since Pulp. I love a lot of Kill Bill (especially Vol. 2 - which scenes that I think may be even better than what’s in Django) but it should have been one 3 hour movie like this.

After first viewing definitely 4/5.

Came out today. I woke up early and went too the first season possible. It was amazing. I am going to make a video review for youtube and post the link on here.