Basterds for Best Picture!

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/2009070 … _eo/132477”>http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20090705/en_movies_eo/132477</LINK_TEXT>

>:(

The Best Picture category for the Academy Awards has been extended to 10!

The only bad news is the film is being released in the first half (summer) and, therefore might not be in contention for next year’s Academy Awards. I mean it’s no big deal (sort of), but I still think it deserves at least an original screenplay nomination. But this is a bit of good news, ten picture slots for Best Picture. Well more like eight or seven if you add all the animated features.

The best we can hope for Christoph Waltz for Sup.Actor. That’s it i think.

IB is not Oscar material.

And why would it want to be? The Oscars have been nothing but an infomercial for the studios best assets for the past few decades now. Just another thing you can stamp on the DVD to make money.

Yeah, Cannes is where it’s at. But all I’m hoping for is not to ever see a transformers type movie be nom for anything. No worries this year though, there is going to be alot of movies to pick between the noms.

[quote=“Stiglitz”]
The best we can hope for Christoph Waltz for Sup.Actor. That’s it i think.

IB is not Oscar material.
[/quote]

I think costumes, screenplay, and cinematography might be contenders for it. Not that it’s of great importance, but I’d like to see Quentin there next year.

[quote=“F.W.”]
And why would it want to be? The Oscars have been nothing but an infomercial for the studios best assets for the past few decades now. Just another thing you can stamp on the DVD to make money.
[/quote]

I disagree. For me 2007 was one of the greatest years in Hollywood. C’mon we had No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood in the very same year! These two films are classic films - will be, there was also Michael Clayton and Juno, those were tremendous pictures. Last year was terrible though, I liked Slumdog to some degree, but it’s not going to age very well I suspect. I saw it the second time on the smaller screen and wasn’t satisfied by it.

Don’t forget Into the Wild!

Never heard of it.

You kidding right? Into the Wild is the best movie ever made.

I’ve just heard of it cuz Eddie Vedder has made soundtrack for it.

Not kidding. Never seen or heard of it. I bet it’s a foreign film.

[quote=“nonsse”]
I’ve just heard of it cuz Eddie Vedder has made soundtrack for it.
[/quote]

One of the best soundtracks ever.

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
Not kidding. Never seen or heard of it. I bet it’s a foreign film.
[/quote]

Haha, you must kidding. It’s a movie by Sean Penn for christ sake!1

See it immediately!

No really dude. i’m not too huge on Sean Penn. Never saw the film BECAUSE it never had a proper release and forgot about it when it came out on DVD.

Daniel Day Lewis, Marion Cotillard, Cate Blanchett, and Kate Winslet are my favorite actors.

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
I disagree. For me 2007 was one of the greatest years in Hollywood. C’mon we had No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood in the very same year! These two films are classic films - will be, there was also Michael Clayton and Juno, those were tremendous pictures. Last year was terrible though, I liked Slumdog to some degree, but it’s not going to age very well I suspect. I saw it the second time on the smaller screen and wasn’t satisfied by it.
[/quote]

Oh my god, 2007 was one of the best years for movies period, just by the sheer number of amazing flicks, not least of which were No Country For Old Men and the best picture of that year There Will Be Blood:

Into The Wild

The Darjeeling Limited

Grindhouse

Ratatouille

Black Snake Moan

Zodiac

Knocked Up

Super Bad

Ocean’s Thirteen

Sicko

The Bourne Ultimatum

3:10 To Yuma

Eastern Promises

Michael Clayton

American Gangster

There Will Be Blood

No Country For Old Men

Juno

Atonement

The Mist

Sweeney Todd

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

I’m Not There

The Lookout

Waitress

Rescue Dawn

The Simpsons Movie

Persepolis

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

I know there’s more, but fuck is thatlist awesome.

No Death Proof in that list? You not a Tarantino fan? :wink:

i think grindhouse stands for death proof and planet terror:)

ha, you’re right. i just quickly scanned the list for death proof

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
[/quote]

Juno sucked hard. It was like what every hipster wants an “indie” film to be. Basically, a bunch of Kimya Dawson fans got together, jerked off onto a piece of paper, handed it to Jason Reitman and said, “PUHLEASE MAKE THIS INTO A MOVIE”.

Then he did and everybody loved the hell out of it. Except for people who know the difference between a magic trick and a piece of cinema.

Also, I hate how ever goddamn AMERICAN APPAREL sucking teenager all of a sudden had a newfound love for Herschell Gordon Lewis and The Wizard of Gore. I met the man and he’s nothing they’d like and they’re nothing he’d like.

Side note: Best experience of 2007 was when I saw Grindhouse with my friend and her dad, Ray Sager, who played the title role in The Wizard of Gore. Pretty much made my year.

But anyway, the Oscars proved to be a sham that year, as they do every year, they jump between critical favorites and audience favorites, wrap them up together and then go for broke. Their “foreign film” section is a cruel joke.

Rescue Dawn blew too, if you like Herzog, you couldn’t possibly have enjoyed that film.

Did There Will Be Blood win Best Picture? No, they gave it to the Coen brothers, for an okay film based on a fantast novel. That award was more for the novel than the film. The Oscars are too political, too Hollywooded out their asses and they need a good change in leadership.

So I guess Roger Ebert an all the other reviewers who loved the movie don’t know the difference between a magic trick and a piece of cinema?

No Country for old Men was just okay? Riiiiight.

[quote=“F.W.”]

Juno sucked hard. It was like what every hipster wants an “indie” film to be. Basically, a bunch of Kimya Dawson fans got together, jerked off onto a piece of paper, handed it to Jason Reitman and said, “PUHLEASE MAKE THIS INTO A MOVIE”.

Then he did and everybody loved the hell out of it. Except for people who know the difference between a magic trick and a piece of cinema.

Also, I hate how ever goddamn AMERICAN APPAREL sucking teenager all of a sudden had a newfound love for Herschell Gordon Lewis and The Wizard of Gore. I met the man and he’s nothing they’d like and they’re nothing he’d like.

Side note: Best experience of 2007 was when I saw Grindhouse with my friend and her dad, Ray Sager, who played the title role in The Wizard of Gore. Pretty much made my year.

But anyway, the Oscars proved to be a sham that year, as they do every year, they jump between critical favorites and audience favorites, wrap them up together and then go for broke. Their “foreign film” section is a cruel joke.

Rescue Dawn blew too, if you like Herzog, you couldn’t possibly have enjoyed that film.

Did There Will Be Blood win Best Picture? No, they gave it to the Coen brothers, for an okay film based on a fantast novel. That award was more for the novel than the film. The Oscars are too political, too Hollywooded out their asses and they need a good change in leadership.
[/quote]

Actually Diablo Cody had no contributions to the music, except for th in the script refrences to The Stooges and Sonic Youth. It was Ellen Page who showed all these tracks to Jason Reitman and he ended up loving them and used them. Ellen practically changed the ending, since they end up singing that song.

No Country was a great film, but I did enjoy Blood a lot better. But if you look back Juno didn’t get jack shit except for the best screenplay award. Jason Reitman should not have been nominated, the same goes to Ellen Page. They did great jobs but not worthy of a nomination, biggest sham since The Paper Moon incident where Tatum O’Neal was awarded the best supporting actress award. She was the lead for Christ Sake!