Inglourious Basterds Prequel?

Don’t know if it has been discussed here before (in that case, mods are allowed to hit me in the face), but here’s what I read :

<LINK_TEXT text=“/Film | Reporting the Reel World … s-prequel/”>/Film | Reporting the Reel World</LINK_TEXT>

The director [Quentin Tarantino] is already planning another film in his potential world war 2 franchise. Apparently Tarantino had shelves a huge subplot involving African-American soldiers stuck behind enemy lines, which he hopes to make that part of a prequel, that is, if the first film is popular.

:o

Yes, that’s been discussed in the Coverage thread yesterday.

Oops ! Sorry then ! :-X

Mods, you can lock or delete that thread then…

Well maybe it can be left open if anything’s to come of this follow-up. But I don’t it’d do much business at present time. I would chalk it up to QT running off ideas again just in the heat of the moment with all his juices flowing. Remember when Kill Bill was being released he was also talking about a prequel idea…

Yeah, we’ll leave this thread open, so that people can discuss the idea here instead of spamming the IB coverage thread.

Is the Black soldiers subplot in the script that’s all over the internet, or did it get scrapped before that?

[quote=“Dex”]
Is the Black soldiers subplot in the script that’s all over the internet, or did it get scrapped before that?
[/quote]

Yeah, before.

Would this be a prequel or just a separate WWII film? Unless some of the same characters are in it, might just be its own thing.

Yeah, I’d tend to refer to it as a follow-up WWII story. I think by prequel he means it would take place before the events at the end of this one, but won’t necessarily have any of the same characters, maybe?

Id def rather see a completely separate film. No need to feature the same characters as IB.

There was a discussion about the possibility that Inglourious Basterds will be splitted in two, at the stage of pre-production in the forums and then we see that there will be one film… But i think this news clarifies that in fact the movie has already been splitted in two when Tarantino decided to make this movie one year ago… Because Tarantino said that half of a second film is written and also in his early speech he said that in my ww2 movie there are jews, frenches,…,blacks…

May be this subplot is excluded at the beginning for avoiding to have a situation as in case of Kill Bill whose running time is 4 hours if we expect that half written subplot corresponds at least to one hour… If it is the case, the chance of having a longer and deeper epic film such as Once Upon a Time in America is missed…

Maybe he can get to the end and set up where Basterds officially begins, i.e. before the IB film actually starts. Like Sam Jackson at the end of Iron Man. Have a cameo by Aldo at the end of the prequel being briefed about leading The Basterds guerilla unit.

[quote=“Turk”]
There was a discussion about splitting Inglourious Basterds in two at the stage of pre-production in the forums… And i think this news clarifies that in fact the movie has already been splitted in two when Tarantino decided to make this movie one year ago… Because Tarantino said that half of a second film is written and also in his early speech he said that in my ww2 movie there are jews, frenches,…,blacks…

May be this subplot is excluded at the beginning for avoiding to have a situation as in case of Kill Bill whose running time is 4 hours if we expect that half written subplot corresponds at least to one hour… If it is the case, the chance of having a longer and deeper epic film such as Once Upon a Time in America is missed…
[/quote]

Obviously yeah. This is what QT meant when he said “I had to figure out how to do it”. After Grindhouse and Kill Bill I don’t think he wanted to do another 3 or 4 hour epic and possibly have to split it up. Instead, he took what he needed from his 600 or so pages to tell this one 2 hour plus story first and foremost. That way he can play the rest by ear…

I hope Basterds is a big hit either way. If it is, maybe we’ll get the second half of his WWII novel/script next. Which would be awesome.

[quote=“Pete”]
Maybe he can get to the end and set up where Basterds officially begins, i.e. before the IB film actually starts. Like Sam Jackson at the end of Iron Man. Have a cameo by Aldo at the end of the prequel being briefed about leading The Basterds guerilla unit.
[/quote]

Reminds me of Silence of the Lambs and Red Dragon, is it? Where at the end of Red Dragon, it sets up the start of Silence with Clarice coming to visit Lector…

i think that, as this was part of the Basterds original story…they will be in the film, if it ever gets made; i think its really a prequel, not just another world war II story…maybe it will show the begining of the basterds, with them arriving in France and gaining their reputations…i hope so

I want Kill Bill Vol.3

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
I want Kill Bill Vol.3
[/quote]

Me too. :wink:

Spike Lee is gonna lose his mind over this :smiley:

I would love it if it was completely separate from this story but that some of the character names are mentioned, “Aldo Raine’s taking care of them bitches in Berlin” or something to that effect but no cameos or anything like that. As long as QT lets us know that it’s within the same historical movie-movie universe…but let’s just see how this IB turns out because this is more than likely just QT blowing smoke.

I want him to fucking give us the Whole Bloody Affair on DVD after finishing Basterds and then talk about new movies!!!

[quote=“Stiglitz”]
Spike Lee is gonna lose his mind over this :smiley:
[/quote]

No doubt. The guy is an okay enough filmmaker but he needs to shut the fuck up. Remember his shit he gave Clint about Flags of our Fathers? What nonsense.