The "is a Basterd" series of posters

First off, it’s pretty cool that so many posters are being released. I like that each one has kind of a character portrait, and we can have a better look at what we might see in the film.

While I’ve been kind of mumm on the actual pictures, my first impressions of the Pitt and Eli posters were kind of “ehh”. Don’t get me wrong, they were cool, but yeah you get what I mean…My main gripe is with the background. It’s kind of weird looking, and at first glance it looks like the characters are laying ontheir back on the cement ground posing for a picture.

Now I probably won’t be in a collect them all frenzy,I’ve sort of taken a liking to the look of Aldo Raine. For some reason I glanced at the picture this morning and thought, “Hey that kind of looks like a QT character.” Never really thought before but, interesting how the image kind of sealed the deal for me that Pitt looks pretty cool as Aldo Raine.

The Shosana image is BOSS though. Wow, what a great image.

I love all of them so far. The costumes, the designs, background. I have no problem with anything.

I think that this will probably be the most marketable film that QT has made. Americans LOVE movies that show American GI’s blowing shit up. There may even be action figures for the kiddo’s.

I think we all overestimate the amount of “action” and “blowing shit up” in this movie… not sure if this is a good film for action figures. kill bill and reservoir dogs are more like that… Basterds strikes me more like a Pulp Fiction, which equally important character and story lines, quotable moments, overal great cinematic feeling and a sense of… uhm… movieness that goes beyond “men on a mission”

All these posters keep reminding me of this song.

“I’m a basterd if it’s true”

[quote=“Sebastian”]
I think we all overestimate the amount of “action” and “blowing shit up” in this movie… not sure if this is a good film for action figures. kill bill and reservoir dogs are more like that… Basterds strikes me more like a Pulp Fiction, which equally important character and story lines, quotable moments, overal great cinematic feeling and a sense of… uhm… movieness that goes beyond “men on a mission”
[/quote]

Yeah this isnt gonna be a Michael Bay explosion fest. More of a character based piece with some action here and there. More of a spaghetti western in ww2 France, than another Saving Private Ryan.

from the one trailer I saw with that lame speech from Pitt I surely hope there is more “blowing shit up” than dialoge like that.

[quote=“asshole from el paso”]
from the one trailer I saw with that lame speech from Pitt I surely hope there is more “blowing shit up” than dialoge like that.
[/quote]

Prepare to be dissapointed!

I like the one with the genuine basterds but I don’t like women being described as such.

Whats wrong with calling women basterds?

I don’t find it respectful.

But calling men basterds is respectful?

[quote=“Larry”]
But calling men basterds is respectful?
[/quote]
well, TECHNICALLY the word bastard is a term used for a boy without a father…so it really doesn’t mean anything to women. Kind of like calling a male a cunt.

[/quote]

Lame speech, huh?..

[quote=“Ordell Rodriguez”]
Lame speech, huh?..
[/quote]

with an even more lame “Kentucky” accent. I am quite certain that you folks in Europe may find it to be convincing, but then again…I found his piker accent in Snatch to be convincing and you all probably scoffed at it. The thing that I find most difficult to imagine is how Pete could possibly enjoy Pitt’s character since he has stated many times that we “hicks” who reside below the mason-dixon line are inferior to his Bostonian counterparts in both intellect and genetics. I say phooey.

I love them all, they’re very in the spirit of the movie.

well, TECHNICALLY the word bastard is a term used for a boy without a father…so it really doesn’t mean anything to women. Kind of like calling a male a cunt.
[/quote]

And yet men call each other cunts at times and it doesn’t sound wrong though it’s best suited for a woman. Same thing with the word basterd. It doesn’t suit the woman but since the characters themselves are basterds in the film it goes with it. I don’t know I love the posters, Kruger’s is my favorite, but for the women it almost seems like they are saying…Diane Kruger acts in Basterds while for the Pitt and Roth one it works better.

Because of all of that, I like the first teaser posters with the gun/bat/knife. Better tag line, better background, cooler looking image and not banking on star power. These “{blank} is a Basterd” ones are too star-based. I wouldn’t have them hanging on my wall that’s for sure…while this one,

Hells yeah.

From Wikipedia

Terminology

The words “bastard” (or “bastardy”) are widely considered pejorative, especially because of their informal meanings, which refer to people thought to be obnoxious. However, these words were always considered offensive, even before the informal meaning came out. In informal terms, the word “whoreson” is used as an abusive term for only men thought to be vicious. Bastard can be used for both sexes.

Originally the term just means: A child of unmarried parents.

But now calling someone a bastard usually goes hand in hand with calling someone a lucky bastard. Used in such a sense means that you kinda like the person for his ruthless success or luck without him getting real credit for it. With a touch of envy and categorizing him in a reality so you can explain why he has the luck or success and you didn’t.

In the sense of IB I think the term just means: Cool as fuck Ruthless bad ass. With a touch of the ‘Basterds’ not belonging anywhere in society, a family or wherever.

[quote=“Larry”]
From Wikipedia

Terminology

The words “bastard” (or “bastardy”) are widely considered pejorative, especially because of their informal meanings, which refer to people thought to be obnoxious. However, these words were always considered offensive, even before the informal meaning came out. In informal terms, the word “whoreson” is used as an abusive term for only men thought to be vicious. Bastard can be used for both sexes.[/quote]

Your bold approach will not change my mind. In fact, I don’t think anyone needed your terminology…