Performances: Who will be in favour with the critics?

Judge as you find the trailers, until we have reviews from Cannes.

Personally, as I’ve always said, I think it will be the likes of Christopher Waltz, Michael Fassbender, Daniel Brühl and Til Schweiger who will steal the show. The actors who are not being marketed by the production company, who we’re barely seeing in the trailers.

I have very little hope for any kind of performance by Brad Pitt, you might as well replace him with a ham and no one would notice the difference. His accent is overdone in the trailers, he’s stilted in his “And I want my scalps” scene.

Anyway, that’s what I think, feel free to attack, it would only be right.

Nice, trust you. I was hoping for a little topic to crop up just like this to predict performances… while we wait for Cannes of course, then it’ll all be out.

Anyway without getting too into, cos it’s supper time, I just want to post the 3 performances I’m most and least looking forward to;

Most: Christoph Waltz, Til Schweiger, Daniel Bruhl

Least: Eli Roth, Eli Roth, Eli Roth

8)

LOL@ Eli Roth, Eli Roth, Eli Roth. Kinick, you wanker.

I am not worried about Eli’s performance affecting the film… Hopefully time will not prove me wrong, as I do have my subtle doubts.

Strongest: I have to agree with Schweiger, Waltz, and Bruhl… Fassbender should be incredible as well. It’s going to be awesome to see this ensemble on screen.

Weakest: Omar Doom.

I’d also say Pitt, as he is one of the leads, and I’m not quite convinced about it. But honestly, I don’t think even the critics/juries are above his influence. Also, I well know that Tennessee hillbilly accent he’s doing, and it’s not over-the-top. It seems to fit. There may be something off about it, but mixed with that generic US Military training/Drill Sergeant shouting Raine does, it’s close enough for me.

I’m just glad Doom doesn’t do a lot of talking.

I bet on Waltz, Laurent, Fassbender and Brühl for the best performances, these are my top four. And this german who plays Goebbels, Sylvester Groth, in fact everybody with a significant part except american actors LOL. Til Schweiger got a too small part to really shine, even though I like his character and his presence.

I still hope there won’t be weak performances, but I have high doubts concerning Doom and Eli Roth, like everyone else with a minumum of sanity.

How could anyone have faith in a dude whose name is “Omar Doom”? Honestly. What a shit stage name to pick. If that’s his real name, then what shit parents he had.

I’m looking forward for Christoph Waltz, Mélanie Laurent, Daniel Brühl, Michael Fassbender, Diane Kruger. ;D

I honestly think Waltz could get an oscar nomination for best-supporting actor for this role. 8)

I worried about Omar Doom, the guy is such a horrible actor…it seems the ONLY director willing to cast him is unfortunately QT. :’( >:( ::slight_smile:

I think Eli Roth will cause a lot of surprise.he’s playing a crazy-ass dude, he’s not playing friggin Romeo or anything… the audience probably won’t even like the character much…

I think Waltz will get some praise yes, because he’s playing a most evil nazi but his character has charming traits and clever ways, i think that will cater to a lot of critics looking for great character acting.

i’m not sure about the rest to be honest. but my guess is that this might be a huge breakthrough for melanie laurent and a vindication for diane kruger who sold herself to those national treasure movie with that other guy who has only made horse shit for years… whats his name… oh yeah, Nick ‘my hair is ridiculous’ Cage…

but personally i’m most looking forward to the little roles. such as the barkeeper, or perrier la padite, or mike myers (who i think will be awesome)

All of them right now. I hope they all are perfect in their roles. The more the merrier!

well…im really waiting to see Landa; he will probably be very cool…

i think the guy who is playing hittler will be very fun to watch; his “nein, nein, nein” with his face all red was very funny

i dont think Eli Roth will be bad; i think he will be as good as he needs to be…i mean, Zoe Bell wasnt wonderfull, but i though she was acceptable, even likable

It’s good to see so many people here and at other forums have great expectations of Michael Fassbender in IG. But since that’s the case, why isn’t he featured in the trailers, articles about the film, and hell, why doesn’t he have a ‘Fassbender is a Basterd’ poster yet? :embarassed:

[quote=“simone”]
It’s good to see so many people here and at other forums have great expectations of Michael Fassbender in IG. But since that’s the case, why isn’t he featured in the trailers, articles about the film, and hell, why doesn’t he have a ‘Fassbender is a Basterd’ poster yet? :embarassed:
[/quote]

How the fuck do they market the flick with him? Especially with Quentin Tarantino, Brad Pitt, and Diane Kruger being the focus of everyones attention (the media being the everyone). It doesn’t matter how good or bad he might be, Brad Pitt and QT will always come before the Fassbender.

Yeah he’s unknown still but he’s going to be excellent in his role. I saw Hunger not so long ago and the dude can act. I want to see Paris just to see how good Laurent can be (apparently she’s the best thing about the film…) and she can definitely break through with this role.

But yeah, I think Christoph Waltz will get most critical + fan praise while the actors playing the small roles like Schweiger, Gideon Burkhard, Dreyfuss and Cheung that will stick out in fans’ minds. Brad Pitt will be awesome while Eli Roth is cause for most concern (you don’t need to act Shakespeare to show you don’t know how to act :wink:)

Omar Doom has the charisma of a tree stump. I seriously doubt Hitler would have been afraid of some geek with a cobweb tattooed on his elbow.

Never been too happy about Eli Roth, but what the hell? A crazy man with a shit eating grin probably suits the character of Donnie perfectly.

Have high hopes for Pitt, Laurent, Waltz and Fassbender.

I think my main gripe with Eli Roth is he is playing one of the coolest characters in the script. And while I would have been looking forward to this performance as much as the main ones, I think now I’m hoping it goes under the radar so to speak when the first reviews come out. In other words, the less we hear about him the better it may be, as it hasn’t caused for concern. No news is good news type thing. Which is sad. But who knows, maybe the stuff said about him might still be good. But you know what I mean.

I know what you mean. But in all honesty, his character doesn’t exactly require an infinite amount of complexity. He’s just a guy who bashes people with a bat. As long as he reads his lines well, it shouldn’t be a huge drawback (I hope).

The only real major problem I see in this movie is Omar Doom. He came off as a real goober in Death Proof, but maybe QT got in his face and told him to step it up. As much as I like Mike Myers, I think his previous roles in the Love Guru may have put some pressure on him to revive his positive popularity, but Im sure he does great here.

As for me, I’m most excited to see Eli Roth. I mean aside The Jew Hunter, he has the coolest role in the movie and the attitude to play it

I think we might be surprised at how good some of these guys (we arent too jazzed about) can be. Basterds isnt Death Proof. That was a diff kind of movie with those guys were supposed to be acting like dumb jerks basically. Basterds is gonna be alot better as a film and the actors will be in top form. QT said “masterpiece” so he knows what hes got on film.

Yeah but if that’s the case, then Omar Doom really stepped it up and REALLY had us fooled

11 days left? Not long at all. As soon as the film is screened, we will know the answers! I really hope everyone involved is 10 X better than they usually are because of QTs guidance.

[quote=“Kinick”]
I think my main gripe with Eli Roth is he is playing one of the coolest characters in the script. And while I would have been looking forward to this performance as much as the main ones, I think now I’m hoping it goes under the radar so to speak when the first reviews come out. In other words, the less we hear about him the better it may be, as it hasn’t caused for concern. No news is good news type thing. Which is sad. But who knows, maybe the stuff said about him might still be good. But you know what I mean.
[/quote]

As “pro-Eli” as I am about the role of Donny now, I totally agree. It’s gonna break my heart if the preliminary critical reviews bash him. Eli’s SUCH a sweet guy. And even though I don’t think he’ll give much of a fuck about what the critics say about his “acting”, I don’t want to see him get bashed… And even more still… I don’t want to see QUENTIN get bashed for casting him…

"“Dear God in Heaven… PLEASE let everyone either love Eli in this movie, or else not notice him.”"

If they don’t notice him, it’ll be because his performance in this film will have been ‘ok’. I mean, that’s all I want from him. Even though when I read the script, Donowitz was THE most interesting and endearing character to me.