POSSIBLE SPOILERS! Inglourious Basterds Script (For Those Who Couldn't Help It)

With that book on pre-order off of Amazon claiming it’s the screenplay for Inglourious Basterds, I thought I’d start a topic for the script and those who couldn’t help but read it cover to fuckin’ cover (multiple times in some cases). Thoughts on the script itself, the writing, comparisons to his other stuff, the script compared to his other stuff, etc., etc., etc…

So jazzed up as it just really occurred to me that very soon a lucky as fuck select group of people will be the first to experience the film. August couldn’t come soon enough.

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.p … 764.0.html”>http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.php/topic,9764.0.html</LINK_TEXT>

MINOR SPOILER

In the Studio article, Mélanie Laurent revealed Quentin decided at the last minute she’d be in the last scene of the movie.

PS: Posted here caus’ the paperback topic has no SPOILER warnings.

MAJOR SPOILER

That means Shosanna dosen’t get killed by Zoller at the end?

Probably. Don’t remember the script yet.

SPOILER

In the script, is Birdget’s leg hurt when she meets Raine for the first time? Caus’ in the magazine Kruger says it’s her first scene in the movie.

Wait, wait, where did we read all this?[quote=“Harry Chinaski”]

SPOILER

In the script, is Birdget’s leg hurt when she meets Raine for the first time? Caus’ in the magazine Kruger says it’s her first scene in the movie.
[/quote]

It’s certainly not the first time we meet her in the script. It is the first time Aldo meets her but she’s supposed to be in the entirety of the sequence leading up to that.

And could one of you fine gentlemen (or woman) direct me to somewhere I can read what the two leading ladies said about their changes in the film.

[quote=“Ordell Rodriguez”]
And could one of you fine gentlemen (or woman) direct me to somewhere I can read what the two leading ladies said about their changes in the film.
[/quote]
Seems it’s only in the paper version of Studio.

[quote=“Harry Chinaski”]

SPOILER

[/quote]

I’m not sure about Shosanna.

About Diane: I think she could mean that was her first scene to shoot in the movie.

Yep I read this article, Kruger meant it was her first scene to shoot, not the first time she appeared on the movie. For Laurent, what she said is still unclear to me. QT wanted to begin and end the shooting with her, and then she said : “QT decided I will be in the last shot of his film”. Did she speak about the shooting schedule, or the actual movie? I don’t know.

SPOILER!!!

I think she was talking about the schedule…i dont believe quentin would let her survive the movie; i think its much more interesting as a great sacrifice…but who knows? maybe…

I think he might have the changed the ending somewhat but not that much

SPOILER

It is so much more cinematic to have her die in the film. And better for Oscar too…

QT told Stallone once that Rambo should have died in First Blood. That’s the way QT thinks… Shosanna doesnt stand a chance

[color=red]SPOILER

I love the script, but in the end shosanna dosn’t kill landa,

and thats all his purpose in the movie.in think he have changed the end

because of this. sorry for my english, this is my first post here

[quote=“pedrozrl”]
[color=red]SPOILER

I love the script, but in the end shosanna dosn’t kill landa,

and thats all his purpose in the movie.in think he have changed the end

because of this. sorry for my english, this is my first post here
[/quote]

Interesting. I hadn’t thought about the logic in her not doing him. But hey, it’s QT, it’ll all make sense in the end (hopefully).

And sense your new, welcome, enjoy yourself.

It’s perfect QT logic. Mr. Pink, the slimiest crook of them all, the one that didn’t even wanna throw in ONE FUCKING DOLLAR to tip the waitress, gets to live. But his life isn’t exactly a walk in the park. Get it?

[quote=“Geoi”]
It’s perfect QT logic. Mr. Pink, the slimiest crook of them all, the one that didn’t even wanna throw in ONE FUCKING DOLLAR to tip the waitress, gets to live. But his life isn’t exactly a walk in the park. Get it?
[/quote]

What does one have to do with the other? Maybe I’m just thick today but I’d like to understand the logic.

Ok, Landa is the most evil character out of all the Nazis we come to know in the script. He’s the “Jew Hunter”. He slaughtered Shosanna’s family as well as hundreds, maybe thousands of other jews in hiding. He’s the worst of that lot. The best at his job, but the worst human-being.

Mr. Pink is the fucking criminal rat to beat all. He alludes to the fact that he’s been busted for drugs, and he was the one of them that knew it was all a set up, (why he stayed around I dunno) and he hid underneath the staircase like a coward while the others shot each other. He’s the “best criminal” of the lot, but the worst human-being. Yet he’s the one that lived. As soon as he grabs the jewels and makes his way out the door, he’s arrested.

Landa sold out his entire nation to the allies, in exchange for his own life… But won’t get off scotch-free like he thinks he will… I mean, are you following the similarities?

[quote=“Geoi”]
Ok, Landa is the most evil character out of all the Nazis we come to know in the script. He’s the “Jew Hunter”. He slaughtered Shosanna’s family as well as hundreds, maybe thousands of other jews in hiding. He’s the worst of that lot. The best at his job, but the worst human-being.

Mr. Pink is the fucking criminal rat to beat all. He alludes to the fact that he’s been busted for drugs, and he was the one of them that knew it was all a set up, (why he stayed around I dunno) and he hid underneath the staircase like a coward while the others shot each other. He’s the “best criminal” of the lot, but the worst human-being. Yet he’s the one that lived. As soon as he grabs the jewels and makes his way out the door, he’s arrested.

Landa sold out his entire nation to the allies, in exchange for his own life… But won’t get off scotch-free like he thinks he will… I mean, are you following the similarities?
[/quote]

HOLY SHIT, your right, he doesn’t die at the end! I hadn’t remembered that. Okay, the QT logic is in place, it all makes sense.

Pay attention Pedrozrl, there’s your answer for the answer you never really asked.

QT logic: the one that doesn’t pick a side during a battle, wishes they’d have. They get a fate worse than death. They get to live the rest of their lives out knowing they were massive fuckholes and never get to make it right.

Thought: With Maggie’s part cut from the film I’ve been wondering how QT is gonna set up the major plot point that there are 300 prints in her collection, all highly flammable and unstable. Hope it works later on without the setup beforehand.

One thing I’ve learned about Quentin over the years is, there’s almost always a method to the madness. I’m sure it’ll work. We don’t know how much the rest of the film has changed since that first script leaked out.