New Type of QT Film?

Many of my friends and one in particular who isn’t mad on QT but likes his stuff says he prefers the visual look implied in the trailer, he says it looks very different from his previous movies. Do you guys think this will have a different feel to his other films? Its still classic QT (the whole story!), but it does have a different feel, I can’t put my finger on it…

No. I never thought he had any particular style, he just does what he wants to do.

The visual aspects of the film seemed to be more subdued…

It seems to capture what I would imagine the feeling was in France during that time of WWII. It was a depressing era, and that carries over into the film (what we’ve seen of it) with the greys and browns, and especially the lighting. It feels quite surreal to me.

It does look a lot less celluloid-y. And he does have a very distinct style, but you can’t really tell yet anyway. It does seem a lot more gritty.

[quote=“Noir_Fiction”]
It does look a lot less celluloid-y. And he does have a very distinct style, but you can’t really tell yet anyway. It does seem a lot more gritty.
[/quote]

Indeed, a gritty spaghetti western war film. Its some thing that I don’t think we’ve seen before in his work.

Let it get in post-production, and we’ll see.

Yeah, things are likely to change during post-production. Personally, I like the look of the film. It doesn’t look overly spectacular with bright colours everywhere a la Kill Bill. He’s chosen colours that suit the tone better. I have to admit, it doesn’t look like Richardson’s trademark look, but then again we haven’t really seen much of the film.

[quote=“Ify”]
Yeah, things are likely to change during post-production. Personally, I like the look of the film. It doesn’t look overly spectacular with bright colours everywhere a la Kill Bill. He’s chosen colours that suit the tone better. I have to admit, it doesn’t look like Richardson’s trademark look, but then again we haven’t really seen much of the film.
[/quote]

As Pinkman said, its all down yo post-production I suppose.

To be perfectly honest, we don’t really know anything. A minute and 40 seconds of disjointed scenes out of an almost three hour film isn’t any indicator as to how the film will look. And Richardon’s trademark will be in the first scene for sure. Look at the stills of perrier sitting at his table, that’s trademark Richardson. The strong key light facing downwards. But really, a DP is supposed to accomplish the filmmakers vision, not his own. So it’ll look very QT, lots of close-ups, steadicam shots, etc etc

Looking at this trailer, the music, it almost reminds me of Full Metal Jacket and Clockwork Orange This sense of darkness and forboding which seems to absent from QT’s other work BUT trailers can be misleading…

Hard to say much 'cuz it was just a teaser, but the colors are distinct compared with his anteriour repertory. The colors have more world war vibe and that’s great thing. I take a bet that the music in the actual movie will be exceedingly distinct than in the teaser. I hope QT chooces some 30’s and 40’s jazz music, that would be cool. What comes to the movie’s plot, it’s quintessential QT movie plot and it looks really great. Perhaps the best splot with Kill Bill, I like all these classical payback stories and QT really knows how to do them.

I think this will be prevanently a quintessential QT movie with legions of fresh stuff from him. He always undertakes fresh stuff in his movies. I have the feeling that this will be one of his best movies ever made.

There’s really nothing to say based on this teaser, the more I think about it, the more I feel it’s empty. We really only see one scene, that is the Aldo’s Raine speech.

We’ll have to wait for Cannes, or a more elaborated trailer to come to really make a better judgement about the style.

I watched the Kill Bill vol.1 teaser again and it was the same, you couldn’t tell what the movie would be like. They feel rushed.

I like that he’s doing a war movie because war movies are usually incredibly serious (for good reason). This one looks more like an ultra-cool macho take on it, which will be interesting to see exactly how he handles the subject matter, visually and otherwise.

Inglourious Basterds is probably much more in a subdued period-film style. But it’s hard to tell from just the trailer. The work Tarantino built his career on - PF, RD, JB - was made in the nineties. Kill Bill was much more stylised in a modern filmmaking sense, but I think they are at heart the same.

I think QT said once that he likes not having a specific visual style as a filmmaker. I mean, he def has a QT style shot wise/themes etc, but with each movie the visual palettes change alot. If you look at all of his movies, none of them really look like each other. Hes like a chameleon who changes with each new project. Thats a great thing to me.

[quote=“Pete”]
I think QT said once that he likes not having a specific visual style as a filmmaker. I mean, he def has a QT style shot wise/themes etc, but with each movie the visual palettes change alot. If you look at all of his movies, none of them really look like each other. Hes like a chameleon who changes with each new project. Thats a great thing to me.
[/quote]

Haha look at Brad Pitt with the squishy eyes, that’s hilarious.