An event film

People have a lot of opinions about Quentin. He’s this, he’s that, whatever. He draws a freaking crowd.

For a guy who’s more or less made 5 films in the last nearly twenty years, everything he puts out is an event. Like Scorses or Speilberg, the idea alone that Quentin is putting out a film creates a big game atmosphere. His own name on the marquee raises expectation. I look at someone like the Cohen brothers. Two of the most consistent, talented, original filmmakers of the last few decades. They’re versitile and acclaimed through the teeth, but is there really an uproar of excitement when a Cohen bros. film hits the theater? Not that I can remember. Clint Eastwood, one of the greatest contemporary directors, working for almost 4 decades and his films don’t polarize audiences the way IB already has. What I’m wondering is, is that a good thing? Quentin’s films come with so much baggage that it’s hard to see them as stand alone films. Going to a Quentin film it’s hard to shake those great feelings we’ve felt watching Res Dogs or Pulp fictions. Does it hurt Quentin that everything he does is such a big deal?

Alright, you got Ify’s award, don’t milk it.

[quote=“Cyd”]
[/quote]

I love milk… the drink… the movie wasn’t bad either.

[quote=“Cyd”]
[/quote]

Hey, instead of coming up with snide comments why don’t you use your time productively by indulging in meaningful discussions yourself? I bet you could work wonders with those fingers of yours ;D

[quote=“Noir_Fiction”]
People have a lot of opinions about Quentin. He’s this, he’s that, whatever. He draws a freaking crowd.

For a guy who’s more or less made 5 films in the last nearly twenty years, everything he puts out is an event. Like Scorses or Speilberg, the idea alone that Quentin is putting out a film creates a big game atmosphere. His own name on the marquee raises expectation. I look at someone like the Cohen brothers. Two of the most consistent, talented, original filmmakers of the last few decades. They’re versitile and acclaimed through the teeth, but is there really an uproar of excitement when a Cohen bros. film hits the theater? Not that I can remember. Clint Eastwood, one of the greatest contemporary directors, working for almost 4 decades and his films don’t polarize audiences the way IB already has. What I’m wondering is, is that a good thing? Quentin’s films come with so much baggage that it’s hard to see them as stand alone films. Going to a Quentin film it’s hard to shake those great feelings we’ve felt watching Res Dogs or Pulp fictions. Does it hurt Quentin that everything he does is such a big deal?
[/quote]

It does seem to be the case that each new Tarantino film creates a phenomenon. However, Death Proof wasn’t the BIG BANG his previous films were (for various reasons, not going to get into that) and so it will be interesting to see what happens come July-August. I think Quentin enjoys the publicity, he likes the renown, he’s a rock star director. What’s unique about QT in comparison to say the Coen Brothers or Martin Scorsese is that he appeals to both the cult and mass markets. You go to the average Joe, he has no idea who directed Raging Bull or Barton Fink. When you mention Quentin Tarantino, everybody immediately thinks Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill. QT is partly responsible for this as he asserts himself on everything he does - “Kill Bill: The 4th film by Quentin Tarantino”, you hear his voice in his film trailers for goodness sake. And of course we know how QT is present in each and every one of his films in one way or another.

There’s also the whole soundtrack thing, where anything he puts out immediately gets played everywhere. “Woo Hoo” and “Battle Without Honor or Humanity” spring to mind. Over here in the UK, various songs played during his films have found themselves being overplayed during adverts and even football games. He has a larger than life persona, his characters are larger than life, and his films are likewise.

Personally, I like all the success, accolades and recognition Quentin has had over the years. However, the downside is that obviously for every guy to love his work, you’ll get someone who hates it. I’ve come across many a hater in my 7 years as a QT fan. It’s fun arguing sometimes ;D

I don’t think it hurts Quentin when everything he does is seen as a big deal. A lot of fans don’t like his over-exposure. But I don’t think there’s anything wrong with creating a bit of hype, creating an event when a new QT film is released. It’s when it pries into his personal life that things become less cheery.

[quote=“Ify”]
Hey, instead of coming up with snide comments why don’t you use your time productively by indulging in meaningful discussions yourself? I bet you could work wonders with those fingers of yours ;D

It does seem to be the case that each new Tarantino film creates a phenomenon. However, Death Proof wasn’t the BIG BANG his previous films were (for various reasons, not going to get into that) and so it will be interesting to see what happens come July-August. I think Quentin enjoys the publicity, he likes the renown, he’s a rock star director. What’s unique about QT in comparison to say the Coen Brothers or Martin Scorsese is that he appeals to both the cult and mass markets. You go to the average Joe, he has no idea who directed Raging Bull or Barton Fink. When you mention Quentin Tarantino, everybody immediately thinks Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill. QT is partly responsible for this as he asserts himself on everything he does - “Kill Bill: The 4th film by Quentin Tarantino”, you hear his voice in his film trailers for goodness sake. And of course we know how QT is present in each and every one of his films in one way or another.

There’s also the whole soundtrack thing, where anything he puts out immediately gets played everywhere. “Woo Hoo” and “Battle Without Honor or Humanity” spring to mind. Over here in the UK, various songs played during his films have found themselves being overplayed during adverts and even football games. He has a larger than life persona, his characters are larger than life, and his films are likewise.

Personally, I like all the success, accolades and recognition Quentin has had over the years. However, the downside is that obviously for every guy to love his work, you’ll get someone who hates it. I’ve come across many a hater in my 7 years as a QT fan. It’s fun arguing sometimes ;D

I don’t think it hurts Quentin when everything he does is seen as a big deal. A lot of fans don’t like his over-exposure. But I don’t think there’s anything wrong with creating a bit of hype, creating an event when a new QT film is released. It’s when it pries into his personal life that things become less cheery.
[/quote]

I love what you said about Scorsese. It’s very true. I remember a few months ago I was having a conversation about After Hours. Another friend walked up to join the conversation and asked who we were talking about, we told him… he was clueless. “Who’s that?” Maybe because I live in a filmlovers bubble. My parents, my family, my friends all love movies, so when I’m out in the real world I forget people or ignorant about great cinema. And Tarantino is definitely the kind of director I aspire to be. He’s got a personality, you want to see him and hear him and he’s equated with quality.

Though, what I always fear is that when his films are released, people will go in with unrealistic, wrongly based expectations and feel let down when they get something much different(like you said, case and point; Death Proof). Maybe for the artist behind the camera, ignorance is bliss.

Well QT holds a contradiction of sorts. On the one hand, he likes to keep that mystery regarding various aspects of his work, but on the other hand, he is as “out there” as you can get, appearing in many forms of the media. You have highlighted an obvious hindrance regarding QT’s films as an event. It can create unrealistic expectations which are very unlikely to be met. However, I have been very fortunate in this case as QT has not disappointed me thus far, so I am yet to experience said hindrance.

I myself had never been in the company of “film-fans” until I went to University in 2005. There, it seemed every body I met was a film fan. I thrived in such an atmosphere, it was so great discussing films, having arguments, taking shots at each other etc. etc. Loved it! I miss uni far too much. Back at home, I have learned to get over it. I stick to my magazines, my DVDs and of course the Tarantino Archives! It’s hard to pinpoint my love for cinema, I guess my dad has always encouraged the watching of films. Indeed, the very first film I remember watching was The Good the Bad and The Ugly, my dad is/was a huge (spaghetti) western fan. On occasion he insists I watch a film, and on these occasions I ensure I do as they must be special (such as The Wild Bunch)! I share something very personal with films, and especially QT’s films, I don’t mind if I am unable to share this passion with all my friends.

Anyway, I’m going off on a tangent. I think it suits QT to be “out there” sometimes, but I can’t say I’m a fan of all the “Quentin Tarantino Presents” shenanigans :-</E>

who has the time to read all that? one glance and im put off

[quote=“Ify”]
Well QT holds a contradiction of sorts. On the one hand, he likes to keep that mystery regarding various aspects of his work, but on the other hand, he is as “out there” as you can get, appearing in many forms of the media. You have highlighted an obvious hindrance regarding QT’s films as an event. It can create unrealistic expectations which are very unlikely to be met. However, I have been very fortunate in this case as QT has not disappointed me thus far, so I am yet to experience said hindrance.

I myself had never been in the company of “film-fans” until I went to University in 2005. There, it seemed every body I met was a film fan. I thrived in such an atmosphere, it was so great discussing films, having arguments, taking shots at each other etc. etc. Loved it! I miss uni far too much. Back at home, I have learned to get over it. I stick to my magazines, my DVDs and of course the Tarantino Archives! It’s hard to pinpoint my love for cinema, I guess my dad has always encouraged the watching of films. Indeed, the very first film I remember watching was The Good the Bad and The Ugly, my dad is/was a huge (spaghetti) western fan. On occasion he insists I watch a film, and on these occasions I ensure I do as they must be special (such as The Wild Bunch)! I share something very personal with films, and especially QT’s films, I don’t mind if I am unable to share this passion with all my friends.

Anyway, I’m going off on a tangent. I think it suits QT to be “out there” sometimes, but I can’t say I’m a fan of all the “Quentin Tarantino Presents” shenanigans :-</E>
[/quote]

I like the “Quentin Tarantino Presents” stuff, but I think he should attach his name to more quality projects. Besides Hero IMO.

[quote=“dandadub”]
[/quote]

LMAO! I read the first one and knew it was going to be one of these types of topics.

I do also worry that QT’s name itself brings high expectations with it. Ok, not so much with the “QT Presents” stuff, because some of those are kind of whack. But when he makes a film, the general public knows it by “the new Tarantino movie” more than they know it by the title.

My Aunt and Uncle are big QT fans. They have all his DVD’s and some merchandise, but they didn’t know what Inglourious Basterds was. Bear in mind that they don’t scour the web everyday looking for news on the man and his work like some of us do, and they don’t hang out with people like us because they’re all social and cool. But when I told them about it, I said, “It’s the new film Quentin’s making right now”. THEN they got excited. “Oh! Tarantino’s making another movie?! Great! Can’t wait”, was my Aunt’s reply.

So yeah, I do sometimes think that he may have shot himself in the foot by becoming so hot so fast. Not that he could help it, and not that I would want him to. I just don’t want to read bad reviews of IB. I don’t want to read critics calling him a hack, or saying that he’s lost his edge. I want this film to blow everyone away, and having read the script, I have no doubt it will.

So yeah, I agree with you, people DO expect more from him. IB can turn out to be exceptionally good, best film of 2009, but if people don’t like it the way they did PF, then they may not hold it in as high regard.

[quote=“dandadub”]
[/quote]

Same here. I dont need lectures on how to appreciate QT. I appreciate him by watching his movies. What the man himself would appreciate. I think taking him too seriously takes the fun away from QT…

Analyse Kubrick or Lynch, filmmakers who were designed to fuck with your mind, but let’s just kick back and enjoy QT.

[quote=“dandadub”]
[/quote]

Gotta love the MTV generation ;D

[quote=“Cyd”]
Same here. I dont need lectures on how to appreciate QT. I appreciate him by watching his movies. What the man himself would appreciate. I think taking him too seriously takes the fun away from QT…

Analyse Kubrick or Lynch, filmmakers who were designed to fuck with your mind, but let’s just kick back and enjoy QT.
[/quote]

The unexamined life is not worth living dude. Quentin constructs labryinths, not tunnels. Plus what’s the point of forums if we don’t talk about shit… maybe it’s just me.

[quote=“Noir_Fiction”]
The unexamined life is not worth living dude. Quentin constructs labryinths, not tunnels. Plus what’s the point of forums if we don’t talk about shit… maybe it’s just me.
[/quote]

Yup. :stuck_out_tongue: I mean, it’s not just you.

(edit: And wow dude, I just looked at your profile. I thought you were like 48 or something by the way you post, but you’re really only 19? And Canadian? For some reason I thought you were a Brit…sorry… But cool.)

[quote=“Ify”]
Gotta love the MTV generation ;D
[/quote]

strange given i hate mtv with an absolute passion

[quote=“dandadub”]
strange given i hate mtv with an absolute passion
[/quote]

You even hate Jackass? And Viva La Bam?

[quote=“Geoi”]
Yup. :stuck_out_tongue: I mean, it’s not just you.

(edit: And wow dude, I just looked at your profile. I thought you were like 48 or something by the way you post, but you’re really only 19? And Canadian? For some reason I thought you were a Brit…sorry… But cool.)
[/quote]

LMFAO “And Canadian?” Awww that made me laugh.

[quote=“Geoi”]
You even hate Jackass? And Viva La Bam?
[/quote]

hate viva la bam, dont mind jack ass, much prefer dirty sanchez. ya know what i mean geoi, the hills, my 16th birthday or whatever laguna beach, its retard television.

[quote=“Cyd”]
[/quote]

I apologise for making you think I was trying to sway your opinion towards a certain direction. I’ve gone way past trying to make somebody appreciate anything.

[quote=“dandadub”]
[/quote]

hahaha, excellent.

[quote=“Geoi”]
So yeah, I do sometimes think that he may have shot himself in the foot by becoming so hot so fast. Not that he could help it, and not that I would want him to. I just don’t want to read bad reviews of IB. I don’t want to read critics calling him a hack, or saying that he’s lost his edge. I want this film to blow everyone away, and having read the script, I have no doubt it will.
[/quote]

I understand how you feel, but QT is a very polarizing director, it’s either you love him or you hate him, there’s no in between. I’ve had arguments with people in other directors forums and some people thinks he’s a hack, and some people worship him.

It’s no doubt that when QT put out a movie, you know about it, but I think it does, through all the hoopla and PR, raise unrealistic standards for his films. Now, i haven’t read IB, so I can’t say that it’ll blow people away, but when I saw DP I was unhappy with the movie, because of all the PR around it. That’s the very reason why I’m trying not to get into all the PR, (IT’s very hard not to)…one things fore sure, I think this is going to be a QT that we’ve never seen before, even though it has all of his stuff in it. I’m sure the movie will be good, but blow people away? Only time will tell. I hope it does good, if it’s anywhere as good as Valkerie, then it will be awsome.