Donny Donowitz

Who would make a great Donny

• Mark Whalberg
  • Jake Gyllenhal
  • Eli Roth
  • Adam Sandler
  • none of the above

0 voters

I was recently forced to watch Max Payne… nuff said. I didn’t enjoy it much but, I did get re-intro’d to Marky-Mark. I’ve always really liked whalberg more or less and that’s when I realized that he would have made a perfect Donny Donowitz. I know tons of ppl all over the place have bitched about Roth and I’m not bitching, I like him, he seems like a nice guy and I trust Quentin but Whalberg would have been perfect to play the boston born basterd. He’s a boston native himself and his greatest perf was in The Departed where he played a smart alecky, foul mouthed Boston cop… He can be funny, he can do action, he’s got a decent range, not to mention that he’d bring another big name to the project. Other than him I think Jake Gyllenhall would have made a great Donowitz as well. Just curious how the rest of you feel about it.

Donowitz is a psycho, and a very dumb one actually. It seems like he can’t think about what he’s doing. He is a brainless version of Mr Blonde.

Whalberg doesn’t fit the part imo, he looks too clever and serious. The same goes for Jake. Sandler could have done it, because he is used to play that kind of character. The more I think about Eli Roth, the more I believe QT has done a great job. Not because the guy is a great actor, but simply because the guy doesn’t even have to act to be Donowitz. I mean, no offense to him, but the first thought that comes to my mind when I see him is that he is a crazy guy with a low IQ.

Adam Brody!

[quote=“Utivich”]
Adam Brody!
[/quote]

I’m assuming that was a joke lol, not because Brody isn’t a good actor which he is, he’s hilarious… not really the Donowitz type lol maybe like Utivich or Herschberg or one of the other basterds

[quote=“Pinkman”]
Donowitz is a psycho, and a very dumb one actually. It seems like he can’t think about what he’s doing. He is a brainless version of Mr Blonde.

Whalberg doesn’t fit the part imo, he looks too clever and serious. The same goes for Jake. Sandler could have done it, because he is used to play that kind of character. The more I think about Eli Roth, the more I believe QT has done a great job. Not because the guy is a great actor, but simply because the guy doesn’t even have to act to be Donowitz. I mean, no offense to him, but the first thought that comes to my mind when I see him is that he is a crazy guy with a low IQ.
[/quote]

I can see what you mean, but I wouldn’t say he’s dumb(donowitz anyway) he’s got a good sense of honor, he seems like an honest kind of person not so much a psycho, he’s involved in some distressing situations so that’s gotta have something to do with it. I look at that scene with Mrs.Himmelstein and I think someone who can convey intelligence as well as a good heart is what’s needed there. Psycho’s a strong word, I can imagine if I was a jew around the time of the holocaust… I’d be right beside him swinging a mase instead of a bat.

I dunno, his behavior makes me think more about a dumb child than anything, and the casting choice kind of confirms it. But that’s what makes him funny. Idiots are often kind you know, I’m not saying he’s not friendly, I like the character. Sense of honor, heart and honesty doesn’t require much intelligence. Come on, the morphine thing, him trying the bat, and so many little things that says he’s childish. Even the other basterds make fun of him.

The more I think about it, and get used to the idea, I think Eli’s a GREAT choice. Angry, strong, enthusiastic Jew… I mean, Eli can do angry and enthusiastic, he’s got a great body, plus Donny has to…

spoiler

ahead

don’t read it

pass for an italian,

end spoiler

…and eli could do that too.

Yeah I can picture him looking stupid at doing it as the character should, without any problem. Funny scene. I can see now why he picked Samm Levine, they’ll do a great duet in this scene, it’s gonna be outrageously hilarious.

Eli Roth is just completely horrible. I’d prefer anyone to play Donny before him, I don’t care if he fits the bill, he could make near anyone fit it if he wanted to. After having read the script the more I think I would have loved to see Adam Sandler in the role considering the type of movie it’s turning out to be. Just imagining him with that bat in his Happy Gilmore physique (and near enough character) would kick-ass in this whacky ensemble. Just seeing Eli Roth’s name in the middle of every synopsis and preview for the film makes me almost click away in disgust, eugh.

So out of the above, opt for Sandler.

Eww. Eli’s so much hotter than Sandler. Plus he’s all hairy, so you know, Bear Jew.

I like the written part that was given to Eli, it’s a good chance for him to show people out there that he can act if he is truly given a chance. QT has great intuition, he can spot ability very rapidly. I don’t think QT would fuck with his own movie if he thought Eli was not up to the task, I mean he said “no” to Simon Pegg, right?

I’m not going to give anything away, but just wait until you see the scene with him and and an old lady. That scene is so gorgeous, I really loved it.

What’s up with the sandman anyways?

PT Anderson proved to the whole world that Sandler is more than capable of taking on a serious role, then he did Spanglish - which was also good, but now he’s doing all these shitty comedies. I mean what’s the point? How is he growing as an actor and those films aren’t even funny. Click, Bed Time Stories?!

For shame.

Eli Roth is the best choice for the role. I can’t imagine Sandler, Wahlberg or Gyllenhal as a baseball bat waving wacky. Still I thought that Seth Rogen would be awesom choice. :smiley:

[quote=“Solox”]
Eli Roth is the best choice for the role. I can’t imagine Sandler, Wahlberg or Gyllenhal as a baseball bat waving wacky. Still I thought that Seth Rogen would be awesom choice. :smiley:
[/quote]

Looking back on what I said before, I’ve actually come around to Gyllenhal as the best choice… IMO of course. I recently rewatched Jarhead and Donnie Darko and definitely could see him playing Donowitz. There’s a great scene in Jarhead where he flies off the handle and I immediately thought of the vet scene in IB. I never really liked the idea of Sandler in the movie. I like how Quentin tends to cast comedians in small bit parts but a larger role seemed like poor casting. And as for Roth for the most part, I think I can see where Quentin is coming from with him but am not a huge huge fan of that bit of casting. QT casted a lot of serious actors in this film with great resumes but Roth seems like an odd man out… for me.

[quote=“Noir_Fiction”]
Looking back on what I said before, I’ve actually come around to Gyllenhal as the best choice… IMO of course. I recently rewatched Jarhead and Donnie Darko and definitely could see him playing Donowitz. There’s a great scene in Jarhead where he flies off the handle and I immediately thought of the vet scene in IB. I never really liked the idea of Sandler in the movie. I like how Quentin tends to cast comedians in small bit parts but a larger role seemed like poor casting. And as for Roth for the most part, I think I can see where Quentin is coming from with him but am not a huge huge fan of that bit of casting. QT casted a lot of serious actors in this film with great resumes but Roth seems like an odd man out… for me.
[/quote]

I’ve only seen Day After Tomorrow and Brokeback Mountain from Gyllenhaal and he didn’t convice me in those two. IMO he is too “pretty boy” for the Donowitz role. Instead of Donowitz, he could have been one of the nazies if QT wasn’t thinking casting German actors for the roles. What comes to Eli, I agree with you. Some kido with serious actors playing a pretty big role is kind of odd decision from QT, but still he’s not definately a bad choice. When I think who would be perfect for the role, I won’t figure anybody else than Eli.

Hmm… But maybe Eric Balfour? Maybe not.

When BJ Novak got a role in the movie I thought it was Donowitz, he would have been great for this part and I’m still not over the disappoitment of seeing Eli Roth getting the part :’(

[quote=“Solox”]
I’ve only seen Day After Tomorrow and Brokeback Mountain from Gyllenhaal and he didn’t convice me in those two. IMO he is too “pretty boy” for the Donowitz role. Instead of Donowitz, he could have been one of the nazies if QT wasn’t thinking casting German actors for the roles. What comes to Eli, I agree with you. Some kido with serious actors playing a pretty big role is kind of odd decision from QT, but still he’s not definately a bad choice. When I think who would be perfect for the role, I won’t figure anybody else than Eli.

Hmm… But maybe Eric Balfour? Maybe not.
[/quote]

Eli Roth is a horrible choice…if you ever read the Imdb boards for Inglourious Basterds, the only actor of the whole cast that nobody likes is Eli Roth. Mainly for two reasons…

1. He’s a total douchebag/asshole
  2. He’s a shitty actor

I disagree about the whole “being too much of a pretty boy” for the whole of Donnie Donowitz. When I first read the script, I thought Paul Walker would be great for the role…after seeing “Running Scared.”

[quote=“SharpestLives16”]
Eli Roth is a horrible choice…if you ever read the Imdb boards for Inglourious Basterds, the only actor of the whole cast that nobody likes is Eli Roth. Mainly for two reasons…

1. He’s a total douchebag/asshole
  2. He’s a shitty actor

I disagree about the whole “being too much of a pretty boy” for the whole of Donnie Donowitz. When I first read the script, I thought Paul Walker would be great for the role…after seeing “Running Scared.”
    [/quote]

Yeah Eli Roth is not the best actor in the world, but I bet he can act rather O.K. with the guidance of QT. QT does miracles. No matter what everybody says, I don’t think that Eli is going to be a letdown.

Look at things this way… so long as Eli is ‘acting’ in QT movies, he isn’t writing/directing movies like Hostel… and Hostel II

[quote=“BioBasterd”]
I don’t think QT would fuck with his own movie if he thought Eli was not up to the task, I mean he said “no” to Simon Pegg, right?
[/quote]

No, he wanted Simon, but Si couldn’t do it due to his schedule. Breaks my heart.