Inglourious Basterds Information Centre

PLEASE USE THIS TOPIC FOR ALL THE LATEST BASTERDS RELATED MOVIE NEWS (Both Front Page & Forum Member Contributions)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: THIS ARTICLE CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS, BUT NOTHING PLOT-RELATED (ONLY SOME SCENE-DESCRIPTIONS INVOLVING VIOLENCE)

"Pitt And Tarantino Face Backlash For War Film

Brad Pitt and Quentin Tarantino are facing a possible backlash for their forthcoming World War II film Inglorious Bastards, which depicts violent attacks on German soldiers.

The movie - Tarantino’s remake of a 1978 Italian film - reportedly stars Pitt as a U.S. Army lieutenant who leads a group of Jewish-Americans dropped into Nazi-occupied Europe to seek revenge.

A leaked quote from the script, obtained by the New York Post, reveals Pitt’s character barking at soldiers: “Every man under my command owes me 100 Nazi scalps, and y’all will git (get) me 100 Nazi scalps, taken from the heads of 100 dead Nazis, or die trying.”

And critics believe the film’s portrayal of German characters, in addition to the violent events, will spark outrage amongst German citizens.

According to a report by The Times of London: "It is not just the scalping, or the carving of swastikas in foreheads, or the shooting of a German officer’s testicles, or the slow strangling scene - all shown with Tarantino’s customary love of detail - that is likely to upset the German nation and its critics.

“It is the whole idea of turning the Second World War into a comic-book adventure in which not a single German character has redeeming value.”

In a recent interview, Tarantino said: “I don’t want it to feel like a period film. This is a modern, in-your-face movie.” He has not commented on reports of the leaked script. (18 August 2008 9:05 AM, PDT Source: IMDb/QTA Member Dantes Inferno posted originally)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[color=yellow]Don’t Jump the Gun

<LINK_TEXT text=“Exaggeration alert - Or don't jump the gun on German film critics - The Quentin Tarantino Archives … m-critics/”>Exaggeration alert - Or don't jump the gun on German film critics - The Quentin Tarantino Archives</LINK_TEXT>

Michael Fassbender replacing Simon Pegg

<LINK_TEXT text=“Fassbender replacing Pegg? - The Quentin Tarantino Archives … cing-pegg/”>Fassbender replacing Pegg? - The Quentin Tarantino Archives</LINK_TEXT>

B.J. Novak an Inglorious Bastard

THE OFFICE's B.J. Novak Says He's Officially One Of Tarantino's BASTARDS!!

Diane Kruger is Bridget von Hammersmark

<LINK_TEXT text=“Diane Kruger is a Basterd, too - The Quentin Tarantino Archives … -bastards/”>Diane Kruger is von Hammersmark in Inglorious Bastards - The Quentin Tarantino Archives</LINK_TEXT>

Christoph Waltz as Hans Landa

Tarantino Has Found His Jew Hunter!!

Til Schweiger, Christoph Waltz, Daniel Bruhl, Eli Roth, Mike Myers, Michael Fassbender, B.J. Novak, Samm Levine and Paul Rust

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23153

Robert Richardson - Cinematographer

<LINK_TEXT text=“Roasted: Quentin Tarantino - The Quentin Tarantino Archives … -bastards/”>Robert Richardson confirmed as DP for Inglorious Bastards - The Quentin Tarantino Archives</LINK_TEXT>

Paul Rust

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799 … id=13&cs=1”>http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117991354.html?categoryid=13&cs=1</LINK_TEXT>

IB - A Summary So Far

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter … 19227.html”>http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/film-and-tv/features/tarantino-goes-on-the-warpath-919227.html</LINK_TEXT>

To comment on that IMDB blurb. When did people suddenly become so sensitive to how Nazis are portrayed in movies? I dont get that at all.

I think a title better suited for what you’re trying to do would be something like: "POST YOUR BREAKING BASTARDS NEWS HERE!"

But I think it would become too cramped for people honestly.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
When did people suddenly become so sensitive to how Nazis are portrayed in movies? I dont get that at all.
[/quote]

What they mean is that every german in the film is depicted as absolutely evil (which isn’t even the case).

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
To comment on that IMDB blurb. When did people suddenly become so sensitive to how Nazis are portrayed in movies? I dont get that at all.[/quote]

I think your misreading it. The article is basically saying that all the Germans in the film are evil, which puts the country in a bad light. I don’t really agree with it, but that’s what it says.

On the other hand, Quentin is no stranger to controversy and something like this was bound to happen sooner or later. I doubt the film is going to become another Fight Club, where the negative remarks actually put a serious damage to the film’s reputation and box office.

I’d ask of anyone wishing to discuss this that they don’t mention things in the script (keep that in the threads tagged with “spoilers”). This might seem a bit weird considering the critique is pointed towards the script, and I guess I can’t make anyone do anything. Just saying, don’t spoil it for the ones who haven’t read it yet.

EDIT: GloriousBastard beat me to it.

[quote=“GloriousBastard”]
What they mean is that every german in the film is depicted as absolutely evil (which isn’t even the case). [/quote]

Yeah thats what I figured. QTs characters are just people. Even his villains arent black and white. They all have shades of gray.

People should actually see the film before they start with this kind of stuff I think.

[quote=“Dantes Inferno”]
I think your misreading it. The article is basically saying that all the Germans in the film are evil, which puts the country in a bad light. I don’t really agree with it, but that’s what it says…
[/quote]

I havent read the script so, Im not sure. But knowing QTs previous work, Im pretty much sure he didnt write every German as purely evil.

plus it’s just a movie. people should fucking shut up :wink:

I agree. they need to shut their damn pieholes!

Remember: there’s no such thing as bad PR. :wink:

Well pretty much every German in the film is a bastard except for one but

MAJOR SPOILERS

He dies quite quickly.

END MAJOR SPOILER

So i can understand how it might be controversial in Germany but they should just understand that this is Tarantino and he doesn’t mean to offend anybody, he just wants to make a kick-ass entertaining movie.

Uh-oh. Quentin is probably gonna hit a nerve here. Most Germans and Austrians older than 30 are not ready to see a WW2 comic book movie. They are assholes that way. ;D

I already hate the fact that many people are not going to understand what Q is doing with IB, or even if they understand it, they are going to hate the concept, just because they think a movie about WW2 HAS to be totally serious, like that Saving Private Ryan and Schindler’s List shit.

I wish we were more into pop culture and B-culture like the Americans are.

What about Dirty Dozen and Kellys Heroes? Those things didnt happen. They were basically the same type of film as IB. A post modern take on WII. Why is QT getting so much flack? Its freakin ridiculous, its 2008!!! WWII was the 1940s!!

Yes but surely those two are much tamer than IB is going to be. I mean I didn’t read the script but from what I have read in here and on AICN, etc. IB is going to be wild and over the top.

WWII was in 1940s, but it’s still somewhat of a deeply rooted black spot in the collective conciousness of Germans and Austrians today, most of them born after 1945. It’s too bad some people haven’t gotten completely over it yet.

Quentin should of course do his thing, the way the wants. That’s most important.

Theres nothing to be offended about. WWII is over and if Nazis are shown as evil, why would German people care? Its the truth. QTs not making that up.

I think IB will be less about reality and more about an action-adventure type theme. Why would people be offended by that?

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
Theres nothing to be offended about. WWII is over and if Nazis are shown as evil, why would German people care? Its the truth. QTs not making that up.

I think IB will be less about reality and more about an action-adventure type theme. Why would people be offended by that?
[/quote]

of course they are not gonna be offended by Nazis shown as evil, can’t you tell what I’m trying to say? What I mean is that if IB should become an extremely violent pop adventure set in WW2, lotsa people won’t dig it and be offended because WW2 and stuff related to it is still a fairly emotional issue to them. we’ll see. For now we don’t even have the movie yet.

I def think people should actually see the film first before they jump to conclusions.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
I def think people should actually see the film first before they jump to conclusions.
[/quote]

of course.

First off, who cares about what the fuck happens to a Nazi?

Second off, there were tons of nazi exploitation flicks that came out. I read articles that said “there isn’t a single German with a redeeming quality”.

Hugo Stiglitz? Bridget Von Hammersmark? And a few others.

They talk about the scalping of nazi officers; does anyone remember what was happening to the jews at the time? And they say “the shooting of a nazi officer’s testicles” will also offend many.

SPOILERS

---------------------------------------------------------

A British officer also get’s his testicles shot off.

-------------------------------------------

Personally, I think people are being too sensitive and should lighten up. If Germany wants to separate themselves from the Nazis so badly, then they should enjoy the film and act like it’s happening to someone that’s not…them.

I’m surprised at the hate that is always thrown at QT for being who he is. And last I heard the Nazis tortured and burned human beings alive - there are accounts of doctors performing illicit surgical operations on Jews, they actually beheaded them and did some weird shit.

lol this is great, i mean its perfect PR. its like the whole kill bill violence thing, honestly thats the only reason why i watched it xD thats how i became a QT fan :stuck_out_tongue: so ye, i guess this great promotion will just get more people to watch it, u know like "hey dude omg did u see the movie all the germans are raving about, its fucked up " blalba xD