The Music / Soundtrack

Once Upon a Time... in Nazi-Occupied France. Quentin Tarantino's latest!
VikingWithNoName
Basterd

Re: The Music / Soundtrack

Post by VikingWithNoName » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:34 pm

bigbeard60 wrote:Thx for the full detailed playlist. First when i bought the CD 1 Week ago, i thought to myself that cd is some kind of a minor done job but now after seeing the movie the music lives with the scenes. as always its great. i hope that a CE comes out sometimes.

It's not full yet. Some songs are missing, and there is one song i am not sure about.

Tarantinoism
Cowardly Lion

Post by Tarantinoism » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:35 pm

Has anyone discovered how to redeem the digital soundtrack code won from the game yet?

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:45 pm

VikingWithNoName wrote:
bigbeard60 wrote:Thx for the full detailed playlist. First when i bought the CD 1 Week ago, i thought to myself that cd is some kind of a minor done job but now after seeing the movie the music lives with the scenes. as always its great. i hope that a CE comes out sometimes.
Exactly my sentiment. Once you see the movie the soundtrack felt to me all of a sudden very carefully selected and as immensely important a part of the movie as any of his earlier collections. Still can't humming the end theme: Rabbia e Tarantella. Classic.

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:46 pm

Tarantinoism wrote:Has anyone discovered how to redeem the digital soundtrack code won from the game yet?
Not me. But what a gyp.

MOVIELORD101
Cowardly Lion

Post by MOVIELORD101 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:39 pm

Tarantinoism wrote:Has anyone discovered how to redeem the digital soundtrack code won from the game yet?
i have not. grrr >:( ...at least i was able to BUY it on CD! ;D

Lone Mutt
Real McCoy

Post by Lone Mutt » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:12 am

We won't the entire soundtrack to IB until it comes out to DVD probably, I won't be collecting anymore songs for IB until I can pause on the credits :P

nonsse
Hard Drinker

Post by nonsse » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:41 pm

Today, I was lucky and noticed the Inglourious Basterds soundtrack at my local store and bought it. The price was about 20 euros, which I don't know what it is in dollars.

Nonetheless, I listened it nearly forthwith when I got home and of course with great concentration. After hearing the whole, I was flabbergasted. This is one of his best soundtracks, really. Especially I liked "The Verdict (Dopo la Condanna)", "White Lightning", "Slaughter" and "Tiger Tank".

Soon I will listen that piece of gold again. Hearing those tunes and knowing those will be in the movie, got me even more excited about the movie damn it. Still have to wait for a week to see it on the big screen.

delvis_crasho
Cowardly Lion

Post by delvis_crasho » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:48 pm

You're in for a real treat, nonsse.

-dELVIS-

NonStop
Basterd

Post by NonStop » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:50 am

Been listening to this recently. Wow, its a great, great soundtrack, I actually kind of it prefer to the PF and RD soundtracks, yet to listen to KB though. Love in particular; The Verdict, The Surrender, Tiger Tank, Un Amico, Rabbia... Yes, I am falling in love with Ennio Morricone!

MOVIELORD101
Cowardly Lion

Post by MOVIELORD101 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:51 pm

NonStop wrote:Been listening to this recently. Wow, its a great, great soundtrack, I actually kind of it prefer to the PF and RD soundtracks, yet to listen to KB though. Love in particular; The Verdict, The Surrender, Tiger Tank, Un Amico, Rabbia... Yes, I am falling in love with Ennio Morricone!
My favorites are The Verdict, The Surrender, Tiger Tank, Rabbia, and, my personal favorite, David Bowie's Putting Out The Fire! ;D

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:58 pm

Okay, I might get some ennemies here but I have mixed feelings about the soundtrack. When you watch the movie, all the soundtrack is perfect as any regular Tarantino movie, especially the opening sequence which I have always loved even before Inglourious Basterds and the other Morricone tracks.

Though after the movie when I thought of it, I couldn't remember any track. I haven't bought the OST but I usually remember tracks anyway. That's why I now kinda think that this soundtrack isn't his greatest work. And there's only one tracks wit lyrics as I can remember, which is unusual, cause Tarantino usually puts a lot of catchy tracks with lyrics, not only tracks from other OST. And the only lyrics track was David Bowie which I thought wasn't that great. Of course I know of the users here loved that part. But did anybody feel like me ?

Col. Crazy Kenneth
Fucking Professional

Post by Col. Crazy Kenneth » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:12 pm

The Shosanna/Bowie scene wasn't that great, it can't hold a candle to the scene in Kill Bill Vol.1 where O-Ren, Sofie and members of the Crazy 88 are entering the House of Blue Leaves and "Battles Without Honor and Humanity" plays over it.

Music was used very rarely in this movie, which is unusual for Quentin. Usually he uses it to make a scene more cinematic, this time he relied on acting, writing and directing alone. It came out beautifully though.

The opening and closing tracks (plus the Beethoven/Morricone part) are aweseme, the rest is just OK.

His best OST is still Kill Bill Vol.1, followed by Jackie Brown. His "worst" would be Reservoir Dogs.

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:51 pm

Why don't you like RD ost ? The soundtrack is mixed, some stuff are good, some are less. But at least, there are Little Green Bag and Stuck in the Middle With You which are awesome.

VikingWithNoName
Basterd

Post by VikingWithNoName » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:56 pm

cyber-lili wrote:Why don't you like RD ost ? The soundtrack is mixed, some stuff are good, some are less. But at least, there are Little Green Bag and Stuck in the Middle With You which are awesome.
All the ost from Quetin's movies are great. But were can i find the three RD songs not on the soundtrack cd? ???

Movie_Villain
Real McCoy

Post by Movie_Villain » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:54 pm

Col. Crazy Kenneth wrote:The Shosanna/Bowie scene wasn't that great, it can't hold a candle to the scene in Kill Bill Vol.1 where O-Ren, Sofie and members of the Crazy 88 are entering the House of Blue Leaves and "Battles Without Honor and Humanity" plays over it.

Music was used very rarely in this movie, which is unusual for Quentin. Usually he uses it to make a scene more cinematic, this time he relied on acting, writing and directing alone. It came out beautifully though.

The opening and closing tracks (plus the Beethoven/Morricone part) are aweseme, the rest is just OK.

His best OST is still Kill Bill Vol.1, followed by Jackie Brown. His "worst" would be Reservoir Dogs.
wow, took the words right out of my mouth..Ive always thought Kill Bill vol.1 was his best soundtrack followed by Pulp..and i was expecting IB to out do both of those films, but for some reason I didnt think he used music powerfully enough.. although the Green Leaves of Summer for the opening credits still gave me the chills

Col. Crazy Kenneth
Fucking Professional

Post by Col. Crazy Kenneth » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:24 pm

cyber-lili wrote:Why don't you like RD ost ? The soundtrack is mixed, some stuff are good, some are less. But at least, there are Little Green Bag and Stuck in the Middle With You which are awesome.
yeah those are cool, it's just that his other OSTs are even better. much better even, imo.

delvis_crasho
Cowardly Lion

Post by delvis_crasho » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:17 pm

Unfortunately, I do not own the soundtrack to Jackie Brown yet (ordered it this morning); it's not right for me to make a judgement of the best QT soundtrack, but Basterds really is a fine album to own - especially on vinyl ;)

Death Proof has been my favorite soundtrack of his for a while now & I don't see that changing any time soon. It never leaves my iPod or my car.

-dELVIS-

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:01 am

delvis_crasho wrote:
Death Proof has been my favorite soundtrack of his for a while now & I don't see that changing any time soon. It never leaves my iPod or my car.

-dELVIS-
It's probably my favorite too, it's a great mix of songs. Plus they make me feel all nostalgic for that year when it came out. Good year.

jonitapani
Real McCoy

Post by jonitapani » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:00 am

Ordell Rodriguez wrote:
delvis_crasho wrote:

-dELVIS-
It's probably my favorite too, it's a great mix of songs. Plus they make me feel all nostalgic for that year when it came out. Good year.
Yeah, my favourite too, I think. Now I've been listening IB soundtrack and I love it too. After I saw the film, every song of the soundtrack is bringing me back to the feeling I felt watching the movie... Going to see Inglourious Basterds this weekend for a second time, I just have to see it again (like most of us in here, I think, the movie was great!).

I downloaded the soundtrack from the Internet since they didn't give me my free MP3 soundtrack, I consider that as a fair play in this situation. Though, I'm gonna buy it on vinyl :) I love pure vinyl sound, nothing can beat it.

ReelBasterds09
Cowardly Lion

Post by ReelBasterds09 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:05 am

VikingWithNoName wrote:
¤Lone¤Mutt¤ wrote: What I'm excited about is The One Silver Dollar, and The Man with The Big Sombrero. The only two I'm lacking. For us lucky ones, we got Bath Attack ;)
I even got two versions.
How many versions of Bath Attack are there?!

I know there's the one from the promo CD that cut out the electric banging sound (that really 'burned my waffles' that the CD cut out that part of the music) and the one that was in The Entity/Basterds that's never been officially released.

Lone Mutt
Real McCoy

Post by Lone Mutt » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:33 am

I have the Bath Attack QT used, just doesn't have great sound. I'm gonna keep looking for a better version.

200th post! ;D

TarantinosNYC
Cowardly Lion

Post by TarantinosNYC » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:27 pm

Keep thinking about "Green Leaves of Summer". I'm actually sitting through The Alamo to see how it was used the first time around.

At the movie theater for IB, this music, (written by Russian emigré Dmitri Tiomkin for The Alamo?), immediately told me Inglourious was a far cry from the kid-oriented special effects crap that all movie previews are about now. I felt myself breathing a huge sigh of relief and settling in without knowing any more than that.

#1, it's a waltz, 3/4 time, very famous in Austria as in Blue Danube. Second, the accordian, very French, brings to mind the pre-rock world of intellectuals and spies. We are all past the "ism-schism"s of Europe's hey day, which is healthy, but being post-intellectual is not all that interesting.

I read up on the making of the Alamo. John Wayne went through a lot to present his own personal vision of this movie on the screen. So even though it's kind of boring and historically incorrect, it merits some respect.

Finally, being completely historically incorrect is also Inglourious Basterds territory. Maybe this song also tells you that's what coming, in QT's massive encyclopedia brain.

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:38 am

TarantinosNYC wrote:Keep thinking about "Green Leaves of Summer". I'm actually sitting through The Alamo to see how it was used the first time around.

At the movie theater for IB, this music, (written by Russian emigré Dmitri Tiomkin for The Alamo?), immediately told me Inglourious was a far cry from the kid-oriented special effects crap that all movie previews are about now. I felt myself breathing a huge sigh of relief and settling in without knowing any more than that.

#1, it's a waltz, 3/4 time, very famous in Austria as in Blue Danube. Second, the accordian, very French, brings to mind the pre-rock world of intellectuals and spies. We are all past the "ism-schism"s of Europe's hey day, which is healthy, but being post-intellectual is not all that interesting.

I read up on the making of the Alamo. John Wayne went through a lot to present his own personal vision of this movie on the screen. So even though it's kind of boring and historically incorrect, it merits some respect.

Finally, being completely historically incorrect is also Inglourious Basterds territory. Maybe this song also tells you that's what coming, in QT's massive encyclopedia brain.
I just thought it was insanely appropriate sounding, like every one of his flicks has that sort of opening credit theme song. From what I've read he's never seen The Alamo.

I however really dig The Alamo. Expecting a boring and historically accurate to a tee flick but was pleasantly surprise, had a good time watching it.

Movie_Villain
Real McCoy

Post by Movie_Villain » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:12 am

In that NPR video, he says he's never even watched The Alamo

Basterd101
Kiddo

Post by Basterd101 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:01 am

Col. Crazy Kenneth wrote: Did anybody know that im related to Bruno?
Ofcourse we did you're both from the gay capital of the world, Austria.

TarantinosNYC
Cowardly Lion

Post by TarantinosNYC » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:24 pm

By the way, the nice Nick Perito version of Green Leaves in IB is not in the Alamo. This version must have come out later. Nick Perito apparently was an arranger for people like Perry Como and and accordionist. If you look him up in I-Tunes, he has a very tacky version of Misirlou too.

Movie_Villain
Real McCoy

Post by Movie_Villain » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:35 pm

TarantinosNYC wrote:By the way, the nice Nick Perito version of Green Leaves in IB is not in the Alamo. This version must have come out later. Nick Perito apparently was an arranger for people like Perry Como and and accordionist. If you look him up in I-Tunes, he has a very tacky version of Misirlou too.
I believe your right, theres actually a few different people who have covered the song, one is an old group called The Brothers Four who had a minor hit with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BRqA3DSmpc

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:13 am

He is right, the song as heard in the movie had a choir sounding vocal to it which I wasn't a big fan of. This version is way cooler.

Bob Rock
Kiddo

Post by Bob Rock » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:06 am

The fact that QT hasn't even seen Alamo, shows just how much people presume he's referencing in his movies. For example everyone was going on about The Searchers, when Bride leaves the trailer or when Landa leaves the Lapadite house. Yet QT said that it wasn't consciously referencing The Searchers, that was just how he wanted to shoot the scene.
It's similar to how everyone was talking about his trunk pov, but QT said: If you wanna film two guys looking into the trunk that's the best way to film it. (I paraphrase, naturally)

TheCustodian
Cowardly Lion

Post by TheCustodian » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:12 am

definitely digging Bob Rock on this

this magazine my son found in London is kinda cool and has some cool things to say.
maybe a little bit wordy though but hey.

http://www.littlewhitelies.co.uk/blog/the-sounds-of-qt/

http://www.littlewhitelies.co.uk/blog/p ... -gasoline/