Actors Out of Inglorious Bastards

<LINK_TEXT text=“Adam Sandler hands out rain check for Inglorious Bastards - The Quentin Tarantino Archives … -bastards/”>Adam Sandler hands out rain check for Inglorious Bastards - The Quentin Tarantino Archives</LINK_TEXT>

there you have it

[color=orange][size=120]Out of Inglorious Bastards so far:

Adam Sandler

Tim Roth

Leonardo DiCaprio

Simon Pegg

David Krumholtz[/size]

i was wondering about this… and i was afraid that qt had decided to give sandler’s part to eli roth! it’s too bad it won’t happen though, with a good director, sandler is an awesome actor…

One part of me is happy because I don’t like Sandler, but the other part is screaming FUCK!! because Q wanted Sandler, and he knows best I think.

even if you don’t like sandler you cannot deny he is a great actor… he is amazing in punch drunk love

[quote=“tonyanthony”]
even if you don’t like sandler you cannot deny he is a great actor… he is amazing in punch drunk love
[/quote]

Amazing is hardly the correct word. He played the exact same character he plays in all of his dumb comedies - a sympathetic loser constantly slapped in the face by his misfortune and who’s ready to explode at any given moment; except a little more restrained. Sandler doesn’t have range as an actor, and his peformance in Punch Drunk Love is overrated as fuck.

[quote=“Scarface”]
Sandler doesn’t have range as an actor, and his peformance in Punch Drunk Love is overrated as fuck.
[/quote]

you really think eli roth will do a better job? sandler has created a character for himself, like buster keaton, or you like or you don’t. and anderson has decided to use this character. and yes his performance is amazing, it’s pure physic comedy but at the same time his character is pathetic and also scary.

While Eli is just plain aweful, Sandler carries this whole bagage with him. You can’t look at him without seeing all the comedies he did. He would’ve to make one hell of a performance to shake that off him and let you see him in another way. If anyone could’ve done that, it’s QT, but I guess we’ll never know. Oh well, how sad, nevermind.

Good. Sorry, but good.

Its funny but actually there isnt one person cast in Basterds that I’m a big fan of so far. Im not sure if thats a good thing or not. Maybe I’ll become a fan of these guys after I see it.

Basterds scene excerpt with Sandman:

…After lighting the bag, The Basterds hide behind some bushes and wait…

German soldier: Captain its one of those flaming bags again!

Capt: Do NOT put it out with your boots!

Soldier stamps out fire.

Soldier: (sniffs) POOP AGAIN!!

PFC Horowitz: HAHAHA HE JUST CALLED THE SHIT POOP!

OK here’s my take:

1. Back in the day I was praying and hoping that this was just a rumour; no way did I want Adam Sandler in QT’s war epic! So in a way I’m not disappointed

2. Now I’m not so sure, I think the project could have done with Adam Sandler in a role of a Bastard after hearing who is now populating the cast (Eli Roth and unknowns).

3. Is QT getting the full extent he can with this project. It seems this (that we know of) is the second actor having to pass on a role due to other commitments, leaving QT to resort to second and third choices possibly. I know he said he he didn’t specifically write the roles for anyone, but I’m sure he knows who he’d want first and foremost.

This is what QT gets for leaving casting till the last minute. He should have planned ahead better and had this scheduled Cannes 2010 not 2009. Why in the hell is he going all gangbusters on shooting this movie now now now

Maybe he shot himself in the foot somewhat with that… Just assuming he’d get whoever he wanted by sending the script out a couple of months before shooting…

[quote=“Kinick”]

3. Is QT getting the full extent he can with this project. It seems this (that we know of) is the second actor having to pass on a role due to other commitments, leaving QT to resort to second and third choices possibly. I know he said he he didn’t specifically write the roles for anyone, but I’m sure he knows who he’d want first and foremost.

[/quote]

i don’t think that’s a problem, every director has a wish list for every part. for example, he offered Mr Orange to James Woods and Mr Pink to Dennis Hopper… that’s how it goes!

btw, i remember when he was going to shoot PF every body was “WTF is going on, casting John Travolta???!!!”

I think this also has to do with the ages hes looking for. If this was 10 years ago, he probably wouldve cast all his usual guys. But then again, maybe not since the story is about Jewish soldiers, not just a group of misfit soldiers like The Dirty Dozen.

You gotta just trust his choices because hes the one matching up whats in his mind to what he wants on the screen from these guys.

Great news. I can’t stand this fucking idiot. I only like him in one film - Punch-Drunk Love and that’s because he was restrained from his usual lame antics. There was a time when I was younger where I liked him, but since I’ve matured his “act” gets less and less funny and more and more lame. Since he was associated with the project, he has made some of the most retarded films - I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry and You Don’t Mess with the Zohan? What the motherfuck? Even though I sincerely believe QT could have done something great with him, I’d much rather not bite my nails till then, so I’m well fucking happy that Sandler is not in the project. What’s more, with some of the other guys that have been associated with this film (Roth and Pegg) the casting isn’t exactly setting fires under my arse. So this news is very welcome.

I just hope we see some quality pretty soon. We have a big chunk of that already in Pitt, let’s have some more. I also want some old-school guys or QT-regulars in there, like - Bo Svenson, Fred Williamson, John Saxon, Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth, Michael Madsen and Michael Parks however small their respective roles may be. I just want to have that feeling that I am watching a Tarantino film, one that feels classic in every sense.

Similarly, and this is a very spur of the moment type thing for me (just like this thread response) and there is a very low likelihood of this ever happening, but I wouldn’t be adverse to seeing some QT idols in there (in some form or another) to further solidify Inglorious Bastards as “The Ultimate Quentin Tarantino Masterpiece TM”. People such as Brian De Palma, Martin Scorsese, Robert De Niro, Ennio Morricone, Paul Thomas Anderson, Robert Forster and David Carradine.

QT has undoubtedly entered the “self-referential” period in his working life. We saw glimpses of it before with True Romance but ever since Kill Bill, it’s clear that QT’s films are now absolutely about HIM. His characters (male or female) are just variations of himself. The story and plots mirror moments in his life. Also, what is the biggest factor in his life? FILM. And that’s what his own films have become about. Kill Bill, Death Proof and now Inglorious Bastards it seems are all grounded in diverse filmic genres, that he was influenced by - whether that be according to plot points, visuals, music, set pieces or just plain ol’ references. The days of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction are long gone. QT has definitely entered a new period and looks like he is staying there, at least for now whether we like it or not. His work is a celebration if cinema, and it doesn’t seem like he will deviate from that.

[quote=“Ify”]
QT has undoubtedly entered the “self-referential” period in his working life. We saw glimpses of it before with True Romance but ever since Kill Bill, it’s clear that QT’s films are now absolutely about HIM. His characters (male or female) are just variations of himself. The story and plots mirror moments in his life. Also, what is the biggest factor in his life? FILM. And that’s what his own films have become about. Kill Bill, Death Proof and now Inglorious Bastards it seems are all grounded in diverse filmic genres, that he was influenced by - whether that be according to plot points, visuals, music, set pieces or just plain ol’ references. The days of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction are long gone. QT has definitely entered a new period and looks like he is staying there, at least for now whether we like it or not. His work is a celebration if cinema, and it doesn’t seem like he will deviate from that.
[/quote]

This is what I fear. The days of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction may very well indeed be long gone, but I was hoping they wouldn’t be totally lost on Inglorious Bastards. I also feel his theory on “Quentin’s Universes” are long gone too or bear no relevance today. It nows seems like everything he does is in the movie, movie universe. Of course Death Proof supposedly takes place in the realer than real world like Dogs, Pulp etc. but to me it doesn’t feel like that. To me Dogs and Fiction and REAL movies. Kill Bill just feels like a movie within a movie - Kill Bill is basically Fox Force Five expanded into a feature-length blockbuster - and Death Proof feels like something the characters in Kill Bill would go and see. I just don’t want IB to follow in the same trend. I think today that’s what it’s all about - if you truly love QT and everything he does, then you’ll love this movie; you’ll just absorb all the QT self-indulgence and references. Point in fact, I’m the opposite - I just want him to make a REAL movie again and get away from this exploitation crap…because (like it or not) he’s becoming a hack with only one voice.

[quote=“Kinick”]
I just want him to make a REAL movie again and get away from this exploitation crap…because (like it or not) he’s becoming a hack with only one voice.
[/quote]

:o :’(

Kinick: He writes his own films from scratch. All his films are about him basically. If you dont like QTs stuff, dont bother being a fan. You gotta make up your mind on this. You didnt like Death Proof that much, so fuckin what? Get over it. All you do is sound like a QT hater now. How long are you gonna complain about it? Until QT makes Pulp Fiction 2? What if he doesnt? Call him a hack and be done with it. Youre just insulting us fans who have been here for a long time otherwise. And that pisses me off.

I judge each film for how enjoyable and entertaining it is (Ive loved them all until Death Proof). It doesnt matter to me what universe its in. Death Proof wasnt in the Kill Bill comic book type universe and thats my least fave film from QT. So that argument doesnt hold up for me.

IB will be in whichever universe its in (probably the Realer Than Real world) and Im just going to watch it and see if QT can tell another great genre story in his own way. I mean, will he reinvent cinema with it? I doubt it, but if its entertaining and beautifully put together like Pulp and Kill Bill, thats enough for me.

Bottom line: Please stop bitching about QT. Its not going to do shit and you know it. Youre just stirring this up to annoy people. Really, what do you hope to accomplish by repeating over and over how you dont like certain things he does? Maybe QT will get the message and change things to make you happy? Cmon man. Give it a rest.

Im really sick of you Kinick. And I dont apologize for that whatsoever. Ever since you signed up on this forum you spent most of your time complaining. Who fuckin cares. Shut the hell up.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
Im really sick of you Kinick. And I dont apologize for that whatsoever. Ever since you signed up on this forum you spent most of your time complaining. Who fuckin cares. Shut the hell up.
[/quote]

Finished editing now?

He he he. I don’t even feel the need or have the energy to reply to you anymore - like many have told you, you’ve got serious issues.

Heh Heh heh. Fuck you.

The thing is, you know Im right. You know that youre just here to be a negative creep. So when i called you on it, youre only response is: You have serious issues.

Thats right i have serious issues with jackasses like you. I probably always will.

Youve used up all your credit with me, thats for sure. As far as im concerned youre not even worth responding to. So I wont anymore.