The bastard language

Since Leonardo Di caprio is being linked for the part as an SS colonel, I guess the whole film will be in english. I was really hoping the germans would be speaking german, as I always find it really annoying when germans (and other nationalities) speak “bad” english between each other.

For those of you who have read the script, I guess you could confirm this…

I’m sure IB will be a mix between English and German dialogue

at least that’s what the script sais… I don’t doubt Di Caprio could pull it off and learn enough german lines to do this, but the doubts are of course justified…

hm, maybe I should work as a language advisor on this movie ^-^

According to one script review 60% to 70% of the dialogue spoken will be in German and French with a little Italian too. Although I’m all for authenticness and whatnot, I think it’s a little too much for me. I’d prefer to hear my classic QT dialogue as opposed to read it…

Its funny cuz QT was just saying, he doesnt want to write for certain people because it would limit the character if they have to speak other languages like German. So why would he choose Leo to play a German if he couldnt do it? Makes no sense. He must know German or has the ability to do it well.

Well, I think Leo could do it. Uma spoke japanese good in Kill Bill, so why couldnt Leo speak german in IB?

Uma only spoke a tiny bit of Japanese. SS Col Landa speaks mostly German and French, and he speaks a lot.

Oh really? Well like I have said, I try not to read any of the script so I wouldnt know that. I still think he’ll do a hell of a job.

Maybe I’m wrong but I read somewhere that Leo have some German blood so I guess he will be capable to speak proper German.

Uma spoke Japanese but wasn’t Japanese in the movie, so a little accent was tolerated. That will not be the same in IB.

Why should they be required to speak French and German at all? Is half this movie going to be in subtitles like Godfather 2?

It sounds like alot of it is in subtitles.

we’ll see… but I too believe I’ve heard somewhere that Leo spoke German

I can totally see Leo as a german SS colonel, and sure, he can learn his lines in german, but will he be able to speak with perfect accent and all? I very much doubt that. But I guess only germans will be complaining about that.

As for Uma in Kill Bill, I don’t know japanese, but It doesn’t sound like she speaks it very well.

Im pretty sure his grandmother who he spent alot of time with is German. I know hes German and Italian.

ok wikipedia sais "his mother was born in Oer-Erkenschwick, Germany " but that doesn’t mean he speaks german, maybe not even her…

If this interview is any indication of Leo’s German proficiency it is going to be a steep learning curve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzZZ3r7qfsY

I imagine the casting:

QT:

• You! your mother is German, then you’ll play a German soldier.
  • And you! your grand father fucked a French girl. Then you’ll play a French.

[quote=“21grams”]
I imagine the casting:

QT:

• You! your mother is German, then you’ll play a German soldier.
  • And you! your grand father fucked a French girl. Then you’ll play a French.

[/quote]
ROTFL

that’s not so bad actually. i mean, no way he’ll be pulling it off till october, but in general, his german is pretty good