{spoiler} IB vs. KB

For those who read both scripts which script did you think was a better script Inglorious Bastards or Kill Bill? Both Kill Bill and Inglorious Bastards have a lot of things in common. The chapter format some spaghetti western influences, and are both counted by a lot of people as epic films. When Inglorious Bastards is released in theaters do you think it will surpass and be better then Kill Bill?

Inglorious Bastards will be better than Kill Bill i think. and also it will surpass both volumes especially if he gets the stars he wants. Plus it’s about Jews and Nazis…

Some of the dialogue in IG is better than KB but i find it hard that he’ll top the action in IG. Also, I really hope he doesn’t split IG !

[quote=“Stiglitz”]
Inglorious Bastards will be better than Kill Bill i think.
[/quote]

are we comparing scripts or speculating how a movie is gonna be before it has even started filming a single scene? :wink:

If we’re comparing scripts, then Kill Bill wins hands down. IB seem like a pared down version of IB set in WWII.

Kinick is our resident expecations down-player :wink:

Damn, lets see the movie first, then judge. The script itself is only part of it.

That’s why I said “if we’re comparing scripts”… I’m just going off the basis of the experience I had reading the Kill Bill script compared to that of IB. I’m not saying anything about the movie yet…just stating my expectations and opinions. And what I would like / prefer to see.

[quote=“Sebastian”]
Kinick is our resident expecations down-player :wink:
[/quote]

You know it Sebster; I’m here to keep things real.

I mean you gotta have an opinion… 8)

yea I mostly meant script. I thought IB was a better script then Kill Bill. I loved the dialogue in this film and the characters more. Kill Bill is an action film at least volume one is. Lot of the stuff i was reading in Kill Bill was the cool fighting scenes described in the movie. Not much character development in it. I mean theres characters and you still no stuff about them a little but idk i felt the dialogue in IB was more realistic and better and even though kill bill was a homage off a lot of revenge films and kung fu films i still prefer IB. I feel this has a lot of potential and I hope I’m not the only one who thinks like this but I love the whole two different perspectives of the movie part of the movie focuses on the bastards and the other focuses on the jewish girl (sorry can’t spell her name) both planning on destroying the movie theater without knowing they each have the same plan. I like a lot of the characters they seem more like people and are more developed but they have that Tarantino style to them at the same time. I like a lot of the stuff in the film. The French New Wave, Spaghetti Western flashbacks etc, and other homages to german cinema and others. This is his first period piece that takes place in another time period. I feel this imo can end up being one of his masterpieces in a filmmaker standpoint. Its very dialogue and character driven while having a pretty decent amount of action but not having the action over take the film.

[quote=“Kinick”]
IB seem like a pared down version of KB set in WWII.
[/quote]

QT had abandoned the IB project for KB at the time the IB thing had become too big. So it might be possible he did use some ideas from the IB project for KB the same way Kubrick had begun at the end of the 70’s to work on EWS before abandoning it for Shining and used some of EWS’s ideas for the Stephen King adaptation.

[quote=“Sunday”]
QT had abandoned the IB project for KB at the time the IB thing had become too big. So it might be possible he did use some ideas from the IB project for KB the same way Kubrick had begun at the end of the 70’s to work on EWS before abandoning it for Shining and used some of EWS’s ideas for the Stephen King adaptation.
[/quote]

Yea, I was very aware of this when reading it. It’s clear a lot of it was written in and around the KB period. It’s very similar in tone in a lot of places. As well as the homages and artistic exercises/

Reading parts of the IB script, it does seem very KB-like. I’m not adverse to that. Kill Bill is most epic piece to date. He went up a whole level in almost every department with that one. The complete opposite to what he did with Death Proof. To see that he is back to his Kill Bill stage only excites me. It seems like IB will be even more daring and visually spectacular. Let’s hope.

If my expectations or presumptions were in any way close, would you be happy with a Kill Bill (Vol 1) like exploitation / propaganda flick set in Nazi-occupied France, Ify?

IB certainly does seem to be just as daring, if not more so, than Kill Bill, at least in cinematic amibition. There’s also a fair bit of of homage-fillled-exercises (probably not as much as KB) through IB; I thought you didn’t want to see him retread through that again with IB?

[quote=“Kinick”]
If my expectations or presumptions were in any way close, would you be happy with a Kill Bill (Vol 1) like exploitation / propaganda flick set in Nazi-occupied France, Ify?

IB certainly does seem to be just as daring, if not more so, than Kill Bill, at least in cinematic amibition. There’s also a fair bit of of homage-fillled-exercises (probably not as much as KB) through IB; I thought you didn’t want to see him retread through that again with IB?
[/quote]

I’m hoping it will be KB-like in a sense that it matches or exceeds it’s cinematic ambition - being a film unlike one we have ever seen before. I don’t want IB to be an homage-filled-exercise in a sense that that’s what it’s sole purpose becomes (as in the case with Kill Bill). The main focus of IB should be its story, and if he uses techniques such as the one’s he used in Kill Bill to show us that, I’m all for it.

As long as I like the characters and the story is interesting QT can throw as many references and homages in as he wants.

But with Kill Bill you have to put it in context. It was WRITTEN to be an almost comic book style exploitation-action-revenge film. Not a film like Pulp Fiction where real world people are hanging out talking for most of the movie. Not only did Kill Bill have lots of action, he had really cool characters and some good dialogue too for the kind of film (revenge) it was. The whole thing worked out great across the board.

With IB, it doesnt sound like its going to be a real action packed type film like Kill Bill was. More of characters talking alot with a few action scenes placed here and there. Its a diff genre, diff style of story.

All of QTs films have had alot of homages and references to other movies, some more than others (Pulp, Kill Bill prob have the most). But as we know you cant have that by itself, that cant carry a movie alone. Its got to be a nice even mix (story, characters, dialogue, references, music, diirection) of all those things QT is best at doing.

What Id like from IB is to have everything cranked up just right. The visuals, the characters, music, story.

So it just flows like a good Kentucky bourbon.

Yeah, it has to work in context and not to just be daring or because he can. Like the use of B&W in Kill Bill compared to Death Proof. I’m just not sure about thought bubbles appearing on screen next to character’s heads in this flick (c’mon, all you people with half an opinion are thinking it)… I guess we’ll have to see what context it’s in, it’s clear there’ll be a lot of exercises in IB - like you said Putney - I just hope it flows! 8)