{spoiler} Tarantino.info Members Script Review

I’ve got my hands on the script now.

I figured we could use this thread for any member of the T.Archives who have the script and care to give a review.

EDIT*

14 pages in and this is Quentin’s most sophisticated dialogue by a mile. This man is a born writer, never to be underestimated.

I have the script too, but there is no way I am going to read it all… soo sooo tempting…

*** minor spoilers ahead ***

btw, I agree that it’s his most sophisticated dialogue yet. It’s interesting to see how his dialogue has evolved. Just reading Col. Lando’s comparison of Jews to rats, it’s clear that QT has spent some time polishing the script.

Also, someone asked how he would put his foot-fetish stuff in there, I just read a scene with one in, haha.

You and me have got to be on the same page :slight_smile: I’m reading around that part too.

Who agrees Tim Roth would be a perfect Lando?

SHIT LEMME SEE THAT SCRIPT!

Ok, I’ve read about 4-5 small sections of the script and so far I feel that:

The dialogue is reminiscent to the eloquent nature of some of the dialogue in Kill Bill (which I LOVE). It’s clear that despite his unfortunate (apparent) dyslexia, and character in the real world, Quentin Tarantino can be incredibly articulate. His word-play is astounding.

When I read the script to DP prior to its release, I was surprised by the nature of the dialogue. It never seemed to get on point, it was always “banter”. It was predominatly fun and jokey and mild. The only other QT script I read was Kill Bill, but I can’t remember it that much. The dialogue in IB seems like the opposite to that in DP. It’s a no-bullshit type dialogue. It’s very serious. I haven’t seen anything like it from QT before. It seems like a leaner, meaner version of Tarantino. It’s very interesting.

Also, it’s obvious that QT is a post-modern filmmaker. His films are self-referential, always aware that it’s a film and not real life. There is a lot of humour in all his films, most of it black. The parts I have read of IB tell me he’s changed his ways. If Death Proof was a laid back Tarantino, letting the chips fall where they may, Inglorious Bastards seems like a completely in-charge, deadly serious Tarantino who isn’t fucking around. This to me is VERY interesting as I always wanted IB to be this way. You know like be a film that takes itself seriously in a good way so that others do too, like Apocalypse Now, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket etc. I wouldn’t want him to bring in all this post-modern humour into it. I know it’s a trait of QT’s, but it’s his epic WWII film. It’s shaping up to be the masterpiece I’ve always wanted it to be.

Didn’t expect to see this guy to show up in the script!

As well as his good ol’ superior!

We’ve GOT to create some sort of countdown for the casting news!

[quote=“Ify”]
If Death Proof was a laid back Tarantino, letting the chips fall where they may, Inglorious Bastards seems like a completely in-charge, deadly serious Tarantino who isn’t fucking around. This to me is VERY interesting as I always wanted IB to be this way. You know like be a film that takes itself seriously in a good way so that others do too, like Apocalypse Now, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket etc. I wouldn’t want him to bring in all this post-modern humour into it. I know it’s a trait of QT’s, but it’s his epic WWII film. It’s shaping up to be the masterpiece I’ve always wanted it to be.
[/quote]

Thanks, Ify. That made me feel good :slight_smile:

Since the day I’ve been hearing about QT describing the script as the best thing he’s ever written, I’ve always kinda had an image in my head as this being the Unforgiven of war movies. The other script reviews made it sound awesome, sure, but also sounded like he was continuing on the path of Kill Bill, making a homage-filled exercise in genre-sampling. While that would sure be interesting too, after KB and Death Proof I want him to make a serious movie. You expressed exactly what I wanted to hear at this point. Bring on a another masterpiece, Q!

[quote=“Jack Wolfgang”]
Thanks, Ify. That made me feel good :slight_smile:

Since the day I’ve been hearing about QT describing the script as the best thing he’s ever written, I’ve always kinda had an image in my head as this being the Unforgiven of war movies. The other script reviews made it sound awesome, sure, but also sounded like he was continuing on the path of Kill Bill, making a homage-filled exercise in genre-sampling. While that would sure be interesting too, after KB and Death Proof I want him to make a serious movie. You expressed exactly what I wanted to hear at this point. Bring on a another masterpiece, Q!
[/quote]

But remember, I have only read a few excerpts. I have also whizzed through a bit of the descriptions he has written, but so far I have seen nothing to suggest an “homage-filled exercise in genre-sampling” as you so brilliantly put it. The tone, from what I have read, seems more akin to that of Eastwoods recent masterpeices, Munich, Schindler’s List mixed in with some Scorsese.

Perhaps somebody who has read more can confirm this.

Also, I noticed that he spells “bastards” as “basterds” throughout, even when not referring to the “Inglorious Bastards” which to me suggests QT just doesn’t know how to spell the word and not what was hinted at in another thread that the “Inglorious Bastards” are actually “Inglorious Basterds”

[quote=“Laydback”]
Didn’t expect to see this guy to show up in the script!

As well as his good ol’ superior!

We’ve GOT to create some sort of countdown for the casting news!
[/quote]

I already heard about Goebbels, but I was also surprised to see Hitler in there. I wonder who will play him.

This is shaping up to be a pretty insane film.

I’ve not read it all, and certainly not the end. I have it but I am resisting.

I’ve got the chapter 3. I can’t believe Hitler is in there.

This appears to be something totally original.

If you have ever watched Knocked Up, and heard Seth Rogen’s character’s appreciation for the film Munich, because the Jews kick ass. Well, had Inglorious Bastards have come out before Knocked Up… Judd Apatow would have referenced this movie instead.

If you don’t mind me asking how did you get the script?

[quote=“robertdiggs36”]
[/quote]

You can download it :slight_smile:

[quote=“robertdiggs36”]
[/quote]

scripts are like the flu, it spreads fast

Ok, I’ve read chapters 1 and 2. I’ve skimmed the third and glanced at the fourth. First off - QT’s spelling and grammer is hilarious. It looks as if a 9 year old wrote it out for him, haha.

There’s a scene in Chapter 1 to kick things off that had better meet the standards of the interrogation between Chris Walken and Dennis Hopper in True Romance, not necessarily in intensity but just in the power of cinema and acting. The first chapter is also very reminiscent of the O-Ren Ishii chapter in Kill Bill. Casting is going make this script!

Ify - I agree with you. I want a no-bullshit type movie too, serious to the point of no return. The opportunity to achieve this is there, if he does it right. Reading it, it could go either way, honestly. It needs to be more serious than Kill Bill. It needs to ignore a lot of dialogue of QT’s previous effort, and laid back filmmaking. It’s very eloquent and theoretical, muck like Kill Bill. Most of the script reads like Kill Bill set in WWII. You’ve also mentioned the three films I wanted IB to stand alongside: Apocalypse Now, Platoon & Full Metal Jacket. But do you think it can be taken as serious as any of those when thought bubbles are appearing on screen next to characters’ heads? There will also be an array of styles in there too, like Kill Bill; we know one chapter will be filmed in French New Wave B&W, while there will be Spaghetti Western sequences so I’d say there’s a good chance there will be some “exercise in genre sampling” present. The script is a work pure fantasy, not realism. Make of that what you will! Another film predominantly in my mind is Saving Private Ryan, with little missions going on in and around the place with QT’s whackyness and flare all the way present. Now, through what I have read it doesn’t feel as near “epic” as any of those movies. As AICN news puts it only in ‘ambition’. In that, the events going on (outrageous as they are) feel rather minor in magnitude. With that said Chapters 5 is no doubt the largest chapter and I haven’t read it at all, but that’s where it’s meant to all come together. Up until then the events feel like rather subsideries of what would be going on in WWII rather than the big event. There’s a revenge plot, a love story etc. I haven’t felt anything majorly operatic…as much as I would like to. I want to see Bastadrs flying in choppers being dropped off behind enemy lines, take no prisoners, explosions, drama, epic in scope, testing QT to his limits. I really hope this comes together for him. I really believe this is where casting is going to be absolutely crucial for QT - HE CANNOT BULLSHIT AROUND WITH THIS ONE!

From what I read, there’s around half of the dialogue which will be subtitled from various languages. Not somehting I would be in favour of - cetainly to that extent.

Another thing is, there’s a chapter that will be filmed entirely in black and white. It has to work QT! There has to be substance in this piece for it to be taken as serious as we want it to. It can’t be like Death Proof where out of the blue it cuts to B&W then back to colour purely because he can. It has to have reason akin to Kill Bill’s opening (artistic aesthetic) and House of Blue Leaves sequence (dramatic effect).

Come forth thy casting news, and doith thy justice. 8)

The script says that Shosanna has her own “Morricone-style” theme. It’s a long shot, but I’d LOVE for it to be this.

The last lines of the script are surely Quentin’s own opinion LOL!

Does Quentin type up these scripts up himself? I’m pretty sure he writes longhand…maybe an assistant?

[quote=“Laydback”]
The script says that Shosanna has her own “Morricone-style” theme. It’s a long shot, but I’d LOVE for it to be this.

[/quote]

Yeah I was about to mention that (and he spells Morricone wrong ;D)

[quote=“Laydback”]
[/quote]

beautiful

The only thing I hate about a new QT movie is everybody downloading the damn script and talking about it all over the place. I can resist downloading it or even people offering it to me but I can’t stop reading all the posts I hate about the script at the Archives! Shut up already! lol

BTW, to those that want a simple serious movie out of QT forget it. He hasn’t done one movie that wasn’t a comedy yet and I hope he never does. I love his sly sense of dark humor.

A friend of mine HATES Du till Da because he says its “too much like a comic book”. No shit! I say, its a god damned comedy man! One of the best comedies IMO. Who would really want a serious Dusk? Boobhead!