Inglorious Bastards (1977) - Get the DVD

Once Upon a Time... in Nazi-Occupied France. Quentin Tarantino's latest!
Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Inglorious Bastards (1977) - Get the DVD

Post by Sebastian » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:30 am

Now that we know that QT's IB has evolved over the years into something completely different than Enzo Castellari's Inglorious Bastards, it is no longer imperative to watch this classic. BUT, it is still one of the most entertaining war films I'v ever seen, and the available DVDs make for an excellent viewing pleasure.

I recommend getting this film on DVD.

Here's more on the film: http://www.grindhousedatabase.com/index ... s_Bastards

Here are the available DVDs (to support us, use the Amazon links):
http://www.grindhousedatabase.com/index ... stards/DVD

ImageImageImage
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kinick
Fucking Professional

Re: Inglorious Bastards (1977) - Get the DVD

Post by Kinick » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:14 am

Is it OK to post a link to the interview with QT and Enzo?

EDIT: nevermind, it's not the interview, it was a different Q & A between them.
Last edited by Kinick on Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:25 am

it would've been okay though, if you meant the one on the US DVD, which is a one-year-old interview

Kinick
Fucking Professional

Post by Kinick » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:28 am

Someone posted a link saying it was the interview from the DVD. But it's a different Q & A.

Here's it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3RTve6A ... d%20-part1

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:31 am

oh yeah, i've posted that a while ago, too. great Q&A....

me
Fucking Professional

Post by me » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:33 am

Sebastian wrote: it would've been okay though, if you meant the one on the US DVD, which is a one-year-old interview
Really? Severin must have been working on this dvd for a loooong time.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:35 am

well it was supposed to come out and apparently they found this interview and got the rights to it, to cash in on all the IB frenzy, but if it's really from Venice, then it's quite old

me
Fucking Professional

Post by me » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:41 am

Are you sure? I read that they flew Enzo Castellari out to LA to do the interview.

Quote from Severin: "Just a couple of weeks back we flew director Enzo Castellari over to Los Angeles for an in-depth career interview conducted by none other than long-time admirer Quentin Tarantino! To accommodate this truly great addition to the disc we have put the street date back until 7/29. Expect more details to follow soon."

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:46 am

a couple of weeks, ok. depending on when they posted this, that still might've been early spring. any which way, most of the IB news out of that interview is outdated, as we've seen in the QT news front the last couple of weeks

Pete
Fucking Professional

Post by Pete » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:05 pm

QT/Enzo Interview excerpt from upcoming DVD set:

CASTELLARI: Ahh. And really, I’m anxious and waiting for that [his movie].

TARANTINO: Well, no it’s funny because, it’s actually, this is a very... a very strange, slash aperpo, slash kismet time to even be doing this interview because I’m writing it, I’m right at the very, very end of it right now. I’ll probably, literally finish at least the first draft like in the next, like week or so. I was even writing on it this morning before I came down here.
And put the pen down to come down here so it’s like... so I’m right in the zone of finishing it up. So I’ll be finished up with the script shortly and hopefully we’ll just go into production right away.

CASTELLARI: Great. Great. Great. This...

TARANTINO: [OVERLAPPING] Well, it’s been a long time. I started writing it years ago. I started writing it about six years ago and I wrote a whole bunch of stuff on it but it was just too... it was too big, it was like a novel, I just couldn’t shut my brain off. And I realized I’d kinda... like, it’s two movies here, so eventually I had to split them up. And so the first one I’m [LAUGHS] doing now.

CASTELLARI: [LAUGHS] What about the casting? You know, it’s...

TARANTINO: [OVERLAPPING] Right now it’s... I’m leaving it very open. I’ve had different people...

CASTELLARI: Oh, fantastic.

TARANTINO: I’ve had different people on my mind for a few different roles. But a lesson what it is, I keep teaching myself and I’m tired of learning it. I think I’ve actually learned it now, I don’t need to mess around anymore, is for the most part, I can write for this person, I can write for that person, I’ve done that before and it always works out great and when it’s the right person then it’s great. But basically, I wanna just let my characters be my characters, all right? When you start thinking too much about somebody then you start writing for them and you don’t let... and you don’t write stuff they can’t do, you know? And that way your character... and your character is, you know, they can never possibly be what they can become. Or you know, if you’re writing for Joe Shlomoka and all of a sudden Joe Shlomoka needs to be able to speak German, Spanish and Portuguese, well if Joe Shlomoka can’t do that, then all of a sudden that character can’t, you know, you’re not gonna go that way with the character.

But if the character has to be able to speak those three languages, well then you write it down and now you have to find somebody to be that guy and that guy is the character. The character doesn’t get fucked up by limitations of a person. And so that way, I’m like, you know what? I’m throwing all the actors out of my head [LAUGHS] and I’m just letting these guys be who they are and help these women be who they are.

Kinick
Fucking Professional

Post by Kinick » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:57 pm

Thanks for the post Putney.

On the subject of 'two movies' - it's what I expected and assumed. It just got so big that half of the material had to be saved for an entire new script, not the second half of the first one. He's just got enough material for a second War movie now (If he'll get around to doing it or not is anyone's guess!)

Harry Knowles you idot, hahha.

Tacua
Hard Drinker

Post by Tacua » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:42 pm

It seems like in the beginning of Kill Bill, he had so much material that the whole idea became in two volumes.
Sounds like it would be a good direction for this project just with different story, perhaps.

Pete
Fucking Professional

Post by Pete » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:45 pm

Just got the 3 disc Ing Bastards DVD today. Im gonna watch it all tonite.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:28 pm

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:59 am

PutneySwope wrote: QT/Enzo Interview excerpt from upcoming DVD set:

CASTELLARI: Ahh. And really, I’m anxious and waiting for that [his movie].

TARANTINO: Well, no it’s funny because, it’s actually, this is a very... a very strange, slash aperpo, slash kismet time to even be doing this interview because I’m writing it, I’m right at the very, very end of it right now. I’ll probably, literally finish at least the first draft like in the next, like week or so. I was even writing on it this morning before I came down here.
And put the pen down to come down here so it’s like... so I’m right in the zone of finishing it up. So I’ll be finished up with the script shortly and hopefully we’ll just go into production right away.

CASTELLARI: Great. Great. Great. This...

TARANTINO: [OVERLAPPING] Well, it’s been a long time. I started writing it years ago. I started writing it about six years ago and I wrote a whole bunch of stuff on it but it was just too... it was too big, it was like a novel, I just couldn’t shut my brain off. And I realized I’d kinda... like, it’s two movies here, so eventually I had to split them up. And so the first one I’m [LAUGHS] doing now.

CASTELLARI: [LAUGHS] What about the casting? You know, it’s...

TARANTINO: [OVERLAPPING] Right now it’s... I’m leaving it very open. I’ve had different people...

CASTELLARI: Oh, fantastic.

TARANTINO: I’ve had different people on my mind for a few different roles. But a lesson what it is, I keep teaching myself and I’m tired of learning it. I think I’ve actually learned it now, I don’t need to mess around anymore, is for the most part, I can write for this person, I can write for that person, I’ve done that before and it always works out great and when it’s the right person then it’s great. But basically, I wanna just let my characters be my characters, all right? When you start thinking too much about somebody then you start writing for them and you don’t let... and you don’t write stuff they can’t do, you know? And that way your character... and your character is, you know, they can never possibly be what they can become. Or you know, if you’re writing for Joe Shlomoka and all of a sudden Joe Shlomoka needs to be able to speak German, Spanish and Portuguese, well if Joe Shlomoka can’t do that, then all of a sudden that character can’t, you know, you’re not gonna go that way with the character.

But if the character has to be able to speak those three languages, well then you write it down and now you have to find somebody to be that guy and that guy is the character. The character doesn’t get fucked up by limitations of a person. And so that way, I’m like, you know what? I’m throwing all the actors out of my head [LAUGHS] and I’m just letting these guys be who they are and help these women be who they are.

Thanks for posting, that was brilliant. Likewise with your Inglorious Bastards review - very informative, well-structured and well-written :). I'll be looking to buy this 3 disk set now.

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:56 am

Thanks for the interview indeed. It was very interesting. Especially between all this buzz, it's good to have real QT interviews to read.

Very nice dvd review too, Pete. ;)

Pete
Fucking Professional

Post by Pete » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:07 pm

Thanks Ify and Lil! :)

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:43 pm

Laydback
Fucking Professional

Post by Laydback » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:53 pm

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:37 pm

wow she's hot! ;-)  but nice video review. cool stuff, I might run this on the frontpage if I didn't have a few other things in the pipeline already... need to wait for a low news day.

damn that chick should do all the geeky dvd shows on this planet. but this other dude he talks too much, haha. and what's this bragging about having the script? I mean who doesn't....

Laydback
Fucking Professional

Post by Laydback » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:33 pm

Sebastian wrote: wow she's hot! ;-)
Not as hot as the show's news anchor
[img width=324 height=600]http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/3359/laylajs9.jpg[/img]
:)

Chris Gore's talky because he's passionate about film (All the film-related shows that he's tried to keep alive on TV throughout the years proves this) I also got to give him props for making me a lover of Harold and Maude.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:48 pm

woah smokin hot! but let's not turn this into "beautiful bitches appreciation thread #200" although i'd be all in for that

Laydback
Fucking Professional

Post by Laydback » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:00 pm

Finally got around to seeing this today. Fun movie, 'nuff said.

During the interview, I was waiting for Quentin to blurt out "Channel...13" when he said what the name of the station was when he first saw the movie (Post #5 of Your Tarantino History has my memories of Channel 13 being the "War movie" channel from Los Angeles) but it's a surprise to find out that KTLA once played it. And according to QT it played more than once there!

Exoskeletor
Cowardly Lion

Post by Exoskeletor » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:07 pm

the old movie was bastards and now the new one from tarantino is basterds?
Live And Let Die
Amiga Will Never Die PC User

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:56 pm

inglourious basterds

I'll ask QT what this is all about, but of course avoiding the similarities in title are one advantage of the alleged "misspelling"

btw I think i'm gonna retwatch the castellari flick over christmas, it's so much fun

Exoskeletor
Cowardly Lion

Post by Exoskeletor » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:23 pm

hmm i dont know if i want to see it or not. i mean if it will give me spoilers then i dont :)
you will ask him? im so f$cking envy you :D
Live And Let Die

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:27 pm

watching the Castellari film will spoil nobody, since ... and I cant believe this hasnt sunk in yet.... it's not a remake!

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:14 pm

Ahah, yeah, I guess A LOT of people haven't understood yet that it's not a remake (even journalists). And the misspelling won't help that much to make them understand, they'll stick to the misspelling theory and not understand it can be a way to separate both movies.

Exoskeletor
Cowardly Lion

Post by Exoskeletor » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am

well i was sure it would not be a remake. it's tarantino after all but i was thinking if it has some small spoilers. Tarantino is not capable of making a remake :D. he likes be change everything, to be responsible of any aspect of the movie and change it as much as he can. Thats why after true romance he never sell a script again, he just can't
Live And Let Die

RatQuiRit
Fucking Professional

Post by RatQuiRit » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:10 pm

Exoskeletor wrote: well i was sure it would not be a remake. it's tarantino after all but i was thinking if it has some small spoilers. Tarantino is not capable of making a remake :D. he likes be change everything, to be responsible of any aspect of the movie and change it as much as he can. Thats why after true romance he never sell a script again, he just can't
But the rumors of Tarantino re-making Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! are still there, I don't know if we have an interview where he actually talks about it but I thought QT was pretty serious about this project.
"Grief is idiotic...I choose nothing: It's not better, but grief is a compromise. It's everything or nothing."