Inglorious Bastards (1977) - Get the DVD

Now that we know that QT’s IB has evolved over the years into something completely different than Enzo Castellari’s Inglorious Bastards, it is no longer imperative to watch this classic. BUT, it is still one of the most entertaining war films I’v ever seen, and the available DVDs make for an excellent viewing pleasure.

I recommend getting this film on DVD.

Here’s more on the film: <LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.grindhousedatabase.com/index … s_Bastards”>Inglorious Bastards - The Grindhouse Cinema Database</LINK_TEXT>

Here are the available DVDs (to support us, use the Amazon links):

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.grindhousedatabase.com/index … stards/DVD”>Inglorious Bastards/DVD - The Grindhouse Cinema Database</LINK_TEXT>

Is it OK to post a link to the interview with QT and Enzo?

EDIT: nevermind, it’s not the interview, it was a different Q & A between them.

it would’ve been okay though, if you meant the one on the US DVD, which is a one-year-old interview

Someone posted a link saying it was the interview from the DVD. But it’s a different Q & A.

Here’s it is: <LINK_TEXT text=“- YouTube … d%20-part1”>- YouTube</LINK_TEXT>

oh yeah, i’ve posted that a while ago, too. great Q&A…

[quote=“Sebastian”]
it would’ve been okay though, if you meant the one on the US DVD, which is a one-year-old interview
[/quote]

Really? Severin must have been working on this dvd for a loooong time.

well it was supposed to come out and apparently they found this interview and got the rights to it, to cash in on all the IB frenzy, but if it’s really from Venice, then it’s quite old

Are you sure? I read that they flew Enzo Castellari out to LA to do the interview.

Quote from Severin: “Just a couple of weeks back we flew director Enzo Castellari over to Los Angeles for an in-depth career interview conducted by none other than long-time admirer Quentin Tarantino! To accommodate this truly great addition to the disc we have put the street date back until 7/29. Expect more details to follow soon.”

a couple of weeks, ok. depending on when they posted this, that still might’ve been early spring. any which way, most of the IB news out of that interview is outdated, as we’ve seen in the QT news front the last couple of weeks

QT/Enzo Interview excerpt from upcoming DVD set:

CASTELLARI: Ahh. And really, I’m anxious and waiting for that [his movie].

TARANTINO: Well, no it’s funny because, it’s actually, this is a very… a very strange, slash aperpo, slash kismet time to even be doing this interview because I’m writing it, I’m right at the very, very end of it right now. I’ll probably, literally finish at least the first draft like in the next, like week or so. I was even writing on it this morning before I came down here.

And put the pen down to come down here so it’s like… so I’m right in the zone of finishing it up. So I’ll be finished up with the script shortly and hopefully we’ll just go into production right away.

CASTELLARI: Great. Great. Great. This…

TARANTINO: [OVERLAPPING] Well, it’s been a long time. I started writing it years ago. I started writing it about six years ago and I wrote a whole bunch of stuff on it but it was just too… it was too big, it was like a novel, I just couldn’t shut my brain off. And I realized I’d kinda… like, it’s two movies here, so eventually I had to split them up. And so the first one I’m [LAUGHS] doing now.

CASTELLARI: [LAUGHS] What about the casting? You know, it’s…

TARANTINO: [OVERLAPPING] Right now it’s… I’m leaving it very open. I’ve had different people…

CASTELLARI: Oh, fantastic.

TARANTINO: I’ve had different people on my mind for a few different roles. But a lesson what it is, I keep teaching myself and I’m tired of learning it. I think I’ve actually learned it now, I don’t need to mess around anymore, is for the most part, I can write for this person, I can write for that person, I’ve done that before and it always works out great and when it’s the right person then it’s great. But basically, I wanna just let my characters be my characters, all right? When you start thinking too much about somebody then you start writing for them and you don’t let… and you don’t write stuff they can’t do, you know? And that way your character… and your character is, you know, they can never possibly be what they can become. Or you know, if you’re writing for Joe Shlomoka and all of a sudden Joe Shlomoka needs to be able to speak German, Spanish and Portuguese, well if Joe Shlomoka can’t do that, then all of a sudden that character can’t, you know, you’re not gonna go that way with the character.

But if the character has to be able to speak those three languages, well then you write it down and now you have to find somebody to be that guy and that guy is the character. The character doesn’t get fucked up by limitations of a person. And so that way, I’m like, you know what? I’m throwing all the actors out of my head [LAUGHS] and I’m just letting these guys be who they are and help these women be who they are.

Thanks for the post Putney.

On the subject of ‘two movies’ - it’s what I expected and assumed. It just got so big that half of the material had to be saved for an entire new script, not the second half of the first one. He’s just got enough material for a second War movie now (If he’ll get around to doing it or not is anyone’s guess!)

Harry Knowles you idot, hahha.

It seems like in the beginning of Kill Bill, he had so much material that the whole idea became in two volumes.

Sounds like it would be a good direction for this project just with different story, perhaps.

Just got the 3 disc Ing Bastards DVD today. Im gonna watch it all tonite.

wow, here’s pete’s DVD review:

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.grindhousedatabase.com/index … ve_Edition”>Inglorious Bastards/DVD/3 Disc Explosive Edition - The Grindhouse Cinema Database</LINK_TEXT>

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
QT/Enzo Interview excerpt from upcoming DVD set:

CASTELLARI: Ahh. And really, I’m anxious and waiting for that [his movie].

TARANTINO: Well, no it’s funny because, it’s actually, this is a very… a very strange, slash aperpo, slash kismet time to even be doing this interview because I’m writing it, I’m right at the very, very end of it right now. I’ll probably, literally finish at least the first draft like in the next, like week or so. I was even writing on it this morning before I came down here.

And put the pen down to come down here so it’s like… so I’m right in the zone of finishing it up. So I’ll be finished up with the script shortly and hopefully we’ll just go into production right away.

CASTELLARI: Great. Great. Great. This…

TARANTINO: [OVERLAPPING] Well, it’s been a long time. I started writing it years ago. I started writing it about six years ago and I wrote a whole bunch of stuff on it but it was just too… it was too big, it was like a novel, I just couldn’t shut my brain off. And I realized I’d kinda… like, it’s two movies here, so eventually I had to split them up. And so the first one I’m [LAUGHS] doing now.

CASTELLARI: [LAUGHS] What about the casting? You know, it’s…

TARANTINO: [OVERLAPPING] Right now it’s… I’m leaving it very open. I’ve had different people…

CASTELLARI: Oh, fantastic.

TARANTINO: I’ve had different people on my mind for a few different roles. But a lesson what it is, I keep teaching myself and I’m tired of learning it. I think I’ve actually learned it now, I don’t need to mess around anymore, is for the most part, I can write for this person, I can write for that person, I’ve done that before and it always works out great and when it’s the right person then it’s great. But basically, I wanna just let my characters be my characters, all right? When you start thinking too much about somebody then you start writing for them and you don’t let… and you don’t write stuff they can’t do, you know? And that way your character… and your character is, you know, they can never possibly be what they can become. Or you know, if you’re writing for Joe Shlomoka and all of a sudden Joe Shlomoka needs to be able to speak German, Spanish and Portuguese, well if Joe Shlomoka can’t do that, then all of a sudden that character can’t, you know, you’re not gonna go that way with the character.

But if the character has to be able to speak those three languages, well then you write it down and now you have to find somebody to be that guy and that guy is the character. The character doesn’t get fucked up by limitations of a person. And so that way, I’m like, you know what? I’m throwing all the actors out of my head [LAUGHS] and I’m just letting these guys be who they are and help these women be who they are.

[/quote]

Thanks for posting, that was brilliant. Likewise with your Inglorious Bastards review - very informative, well-structured and well-written :slight_smile:. I’ll be looking to buy this 3 disk set now.

Thanks for the interview indeed. It was very interesting. Especially between all this buzz, it’s good to have real QT interviews to read.

Very nice dvd review too, Pete. :wink:

Thanks Ify and Lil! :slight_smile:

catch it in LA

Los Angeles Area Geeks! INGLORIOUS BASTARDS Is Screening On Wednesday Night! With The Director!

Brief review clip:

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/dvd … World.html”>http://www.g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/dvduesday/64950/Tarantinos-World.html</LINK_TEXT>

wow she’s hot! :wink: but nice video review. cool stuff, I might run this on the frontpage if I didn’t have a few other things in the pipeline already… need to wait for a low news day.

damn that chick should do all the geeky dvd shows on this planet. but this other dude he talks too much, haha. and what’s this bragging about having the script? I mean who doesn’t…