Tarantino thrilled to have finished screenplay for war movie

From the BBC website

Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction director Quentin Tarantino speaks of his relief at finishing the screenplay for his latest film project, a “modern, in-your-face” World War II epic.

Tarantino, who was at an independent film festival in the US, confirmed he has now finished the screenplay for Inglorious Bastards - his long-awaited new film - and he maintains he is moving into pre-production right away.

He was speaking at the Provincetown Film Festival - where he received a special Filmmaker on the Edge award at the weekend, and was clearly pleased his script was all wrapped up.

“You’re talking to a real happy dude right now,” said the filmmaker, who only completed the screenplay last week.

He was surprised that the news of his screenplay had spread so rapidly. "I didn’t know everyone knew about it, so this is actually kind of very bizarre for me."

Tarantino began writing Inglorious Bastards screenplay several years ago.

The film is a World War II epic and it will be the director’s sixth major feature.

According to Tarantino no final decisions have yet been made about casting. But in the past a wide range of names from Tim Roth to Sylvester Stallone have been rumoured to be involved.

The film has been described as his version of the classic 1967 Second World War action movie The Dirty Dozen, starring Lee Marvin and Ernest Borgnine.

That film told the fictional story of a group of American soldiers convicted of various military crimes who were ordered to go on a suicide mission behind enemy lines to kill Nazi officers.

But Tarantino points out that the original picture was only a source of inspiration, nothing more.

He says, "what actually got me to sit down and put pen to paper was ‘hey wouldn’t it be fun to do a Dirty Dozen kind of thing?’ It doesn’t look anything like The Dirty Dozen."

In the 90s Tarantino emerged to become one of America’s best-known - and most controversial - independent filmmakers.

He made his name with Reservoir Dogs in 1992. He then followed up with the much celebrated Pulp Fiction two years later which brought him the Palme D’Or at the Cannes Film Festival.

With Inglorious Bastards he will be making his first period film.

But he said: "I don’t want it to feel like a period film. I want it to feel current.

"I want it to feel right now. One of the things I have to battle against is 30 years of Nazi-occupation TV movies where we’ve all seen the big streets and the vintage cars and the Swastikas, and we’ve just seen that ad nauseum.

"This is a modern, in-your-face movie. This is not a TV movie period piece."

Tarantino was a major attraction in Provincetown where two of his films were being shown.

The festival is now celebrating its 10th anniversary - and it has grown to become a well-respected international showcase for independent cinema.

The filmmaker was flattered to have been given the award but was not quite sure what to make of the accolade.

"I’m not trying to be on the edge, I’m not trying to go against the grain or anything, I’m just telling my stories and I’ve been lucky enough to actually find an audience."

In addition to receiving the award, Tarantino participated in an informal ceremony in which Provincetown officially proclaimed that 21 June would forever be “Quentin Tarantino Day”.

The director was excited to have a day named in his honour but he left the festival with the sobering challenge of getting Inglorious Bastards completed according to a very ambitious self-imposed schedule.

He wants the picture, a project that has been subject to several delays, to be ready within 11 months in time for next year’s Cannes Film Festival.

Very happy for him. It sounds interesting that hes trying to make it seem modern even though its in WW2. So, the script is finished…casting should be next. :slight_smile:

I needed some good news after the Carlin news, THANKS QT! I love ya! now go to work on your masterpiece! :smiley:

Yeah, pretty cool to get more and more signs that he has really finished the script, can’t wait to know more about the casting, locations, and all.

YEA!!! QT FUCKING RULES!! Thanks for posting this. I too needed a bit of good news today, and this has put me over the moon. I told y’all he said “next year” at Cannes. Didn’t believe me though.

OMG! I’m sooooo excited!! I HAVE to go to Cannes next year!!!

I’m so amped! Right, I’m off to re-visit all my old war movies, esp The Dirty Dozen!

notice he speaks in the singular: film, not films :wink:

Sounds like the trilogy idea won’t be happening. We’ll have to settle for a single film split in half like Kill Bill.

* Jizzes everwhere *

• Wipes keyboard *

Great news he’s finished the script. Pete, you seem so sure that he will split the film in two. Even then, wouldn’t he have still said filmS, like how he addresses the Kill Bill filmS?

He already said he will be releasing the FILM (singular) in two parts. Also, he never said he wrote three separate scripts for three diff films, he said he wrote enough pages for there to be three scripts. He started out writing a reg script and he just kept adding more stuff to it. Thats all.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
He already said he will be releasing the FILM (singular) in two parts.
[/quote]

you put lots of trust in a possibly overhyped article by AICN… unless i hear that from quentin himself, I still don’t buy that

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
He already said he will be releasing the FILM (singular) in two parts. Also, he never said he wrote three separate scripts for three diff films, he said he wrote enough pages for there to be three scripts. He started out writing a reg script and he just kept adding more stuff to it. Thats all.
[/quote]

Nobody is saying anything pretending it’s conclusive but you. At this moment, the fate regarding the release of the film is uncertain. We can only speculate. Until QT HIMSELF says the film will be split in two, that’s when we’ll believe it. We’re not saying you’re wrong, just that you aren’t right, yet.

I thought Harry stated he heard QT say it would be released in two parts in the interview with Enzo. Isnt that why he wrote the article in the first place? I dont see why he’d even say that if it wasnt true.

Im not speculating what I wish would happen. Im going by what Harry said he heard. If hes lying or is mistaken, then I’ll obviously be wrong.

So far we know for sure hes finished editing the script and the current rumor is that it will be split in two like Kill Bill was…stay tuned for more news. :slight_smile:

I think even QT would prefer to do a straight up solid film, rather than do it in two parts with Kill Bill or make a grind house film as a package.

I hope it’s one film. He shouldn’t overstretch himself.

Sounds good. Here’s hoping it’s one film. I sure am praying for this masterpiece.

I think he’d be in a similiar mind-frame also to put out, at least for now, one single, no strings attached epic adventure. I certainly don’t want it simply cut in half in the editing room and it be another Kill Bill…I hope he knows what he’s doing.

Also, during Kill Bill’s release QT announced that he had infact, whilst writing IB, ended up writing two WWII movies…

He meant he wrote enough for it to be made into two movies, which is probably why hes most likely going to release the two halves separately. The only reason hes doing that is because people dont want to watch 4 hour movies in one sitting.

If this movie is released as a 2 hour film after 10 years of him writing the script and planning it to be bigger than Kill Bill. Ill be very surprised.

[quote=“Yasmin”]
In addition to receiving the award, Tarantino participated in an informal ceremony in which Provincetown officially proclaimed that 21 June would forever be “Quentin Tarantino Day”.[/quote]

Gonna go mark that one in my diary!

QT Day! The day after RR’s birthday. Actually, since it’s in the UK, it’s technically the same day as RR’s birthday, for like 6 hours. What am I on about?

Anyway, I don’t care if IB ends up being one film, or a 12 part mini-series (which it won’t), I just wanna see it! I wanna know everything about it! I wanna own it! The day it comes out on DVD, I’m gonna buy it, and sleep with it.

Hey, If a shitty director like Michael Gay gets to do a war movie thats horrible and 4 hours long why shouldn’t QT be able to do a 3 hour long, great war movie?

Ahah, I had forgot how much you HATE Michael bay ! His name always pops up soon or later.

Sounds great, getting hyped.