[news] AICN reports Inglorious Bastards split due to coming DVD interview

<LINK_TEXT text=“Inglorious Bastards as long as Pulp Fiction - The Quentin Tarantino Archives … n-two-too/”>Inglorious Bastards split in two, too? - The Quentin Tarantino Archives</LINK_TEXT>

what do you think? read my article, and read Harry’s, and “talk back” :wink:

Well it wouldnt surprise me. How the hell could he write a 600 page script and scrap it down to 2 hours? Thats ALOT of great stuff we’d be losing.

Personally I thought the Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2 thing worked out good. We wouldnt have that awesome movie as it is, if QT didnt split it in half. Also it makes sense from a business standpoint. Noone (as we’ve seen) wants to sit through 3 + hour movies anymore. So what he should do is release the film in two separate 2 hour films.

After reading Harrys report I feel like its 2002 again and we’re talking about Kill Bill. I love those mysterious yet thrilling rumors about whats hes doing and might do. My geek meter just went up to 200%! :o :o 8) 8)

well just because it has been about 600 pages at some point doesnt necessarily mean that’s what he’s holding in his hands right know you know? I am honestly and 100% against this 2 movie idea, not because I’m anti-capitalist or something, but just because for me as a fan it’s a pain in the ass to wait, and I think it would hurt the “masterpiece” idea gravely would he split it. I could live with a band-of brothers style miniseries on HBO (which I don’t have, but still), but an epic you don’t split, I think it took some of the epic-ness out of Kill Bill…

I understand what youre saying but Id much rather get the 2 separate movies than 1 2 hour film and then have the huge 4 + hour epic to add to my QT collection years from now.

The wait isnt a bad thing, its GOOD! Remember the good ol days of talking about Vol 1 and 2 while we were wondering how it would be? Plus we probably wont have to wait as long as we did for Kill Bill Vol 2 since QT knows how to set things up now.

ify has a good point with a trilogy, that would be a compromise. still, i first wanna see that interview

Theres just no way that we waited all this time for a 2 hour film. Its just not right. Its got to be a 4 + hour movie at least.

I should be getting that DVD in July/August. Ill review it for the QTA too and tell what the deal is.

Yeah, your opinion echoes mine, Seb. I felt that with splitting Kill Bill up into 2 volumes really took away some of it’s integrity, some of it’s genius. Had it have been one film, boy, what a reception it would have got. A masterpiece like no other. As it stands, there is a some confusion and indeed arguments regarding the filmic status of Kill Bill. For some it’s difficult to view as one and thus ruins it’s status as a masterpiece. The sooner it is released as ONE, the sooner it’s legacy can be cemented as one of the greatest films of all time.

With IB, I would like it to be ONE film. No mini-series, no 2 volumes. However, if there is too much stuff there for QT to not use, a trilogy wouldn’t go amiss. Look at the way people see the Godfather trilogy…

Why make it a trilogy if you dont even want it to be split in half? Makes no sense. I think this is more about the US vs Europe thing right? You guys have to wait longer than us or something.

QT will surely explain that this isnt to be seen as 2 separate films. We know its one film.

QT has said many times his script was so huge it became like 3 separate scripts. So you can have it your way and have him toss 80% of all that genius writing away so you dont have to wait for the second part or you can wait and have a 4 + hour movie to watch for decades to come after its all over.

Ill take the 2 sep films and the wait! :slight_smile:

Think about Grindhouse too. That was a big dud of an idea and QT def doesnt want to have that happen again. So its basically just being safe than sorry.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
Why make it a trilogy if you dont even want it to be split in half? Makes no sense. I think this is more about the US vs Europe thing right? You guys have to wait longer than us or something.

[/quote]

Well because with 2 films it seems like 2 halves and hence not a complete whole. With 3 films, or a trilogy, there is the adequate divide to be able to ascribe on to any number of those 3 films the status of masterpiece. With 2 films (or two haves) one hesitates to call it as and indeed see it as a whole masterpiece. Think about the Godfather trilogy, many see that as 2 masterpieces and another very good film. With the KB volumes, I haven’t heard very many people hail it as a masterpiece, it seems predominantly because of their inability to see them as a “whole”.

Basically, I would be more than happy for it to be of a length similar to Pulp Fiction. With it being 4 hours, seriously, how many people will even go see it? I know that’s not the point, but it will hurt it’s credibility. As much as I would like to see a QT film 10 hours long, a 2 and half hour film is plenty :wink:

After waiting over 10 years for this film and hearing all the stories about how much of a huge epic it is, I sure as hell dont want to watch a 2 hour film and have it be over. If I want to see a reg 2 hour movie I can go see the latest Hollywood movie. This will be an event and something special for sure.

Inglorious Bastards was written as one long script. It will be shot as one long film split into 2 halves like Kill Bill. The Godfather Trilogy was three separate films. They were all made at diff times with a variety of cast members. Its not the same thing.

How many people went to see Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2? Also if people go see the first half and love it, they’ll def want to see the second half. Youre talking like you never experienced Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2 or didnt enjoy the thing.

Anyways I love this quote:

"The opening sequence of Quentin’s film is apparently going to be something extraordinary - as Enzo Castellari was geeking out big time just thinking about what Quentin had told him. Classic.

Also - during the interview - as Quentin began talking about Enzo’s use of Slow Motion - Enzo’s enthusiasm for the technique all but convinced Quentin to stage what he has called a sequence in his film - as an epic slow motion scene - but he was still debating it."

GEEK OUT!! :slight_smile:

Well Im not shocked its gonna be split, I mean its 600 pages for christ sake. Your average theatre/movie person might not want to sit through an 4+ hour movie so I think they are going in the right direction, but at the same time I wish they would show the war epic complete as an whole. Another thing i’m wondering did Quentin really decide he wanted them split or was someone else?

A trilogy would be nice.

[quote=“me”]
Well Im not shocked its gonna be split, I mean its 600 pages for christ sake. Your average theatre/movie person might not want to sit through an 4+ hour movie so I think they are going in the right direction, but at the same time I wish they would show the war epic complete as an whole. Another thing i’m wondering did Quentin really decide he wanted them split or was someone else?[/quote]

Id say it was everyone involved, not just the producers. Grindhouse clued them into what would happen if they put out a 3 + hour film (something they shouldve learned from Kill Bill).

Whatever QT deems best (one movie, trilogy, two Volumes, whatever) for his epic, THAT’S how it should be done. And in no way else.

And thank God Kill Bill came in two Volumes, otherwise nobody would have watched it (Grindhouse, anyone?)

I’m not surprised either, though I don’t know if I’d prefer a trilogy or two volumes as with Kill Bill. A trilogy would be mean more pleasure, more movies, but it’s a bit risky, it’s already hard to keep people’s attention for two volumes, so I don’t know if a whole trilogy would be welcomed.

I’ve never been much into a mini TV series cause it means it’s broadcasted in the USA and the rest of the world migth have chances to never see it. Or two years later.

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
And thank God Kill Bill came in two Volumes, otherwise nobody would have watched it (Grindhouse, anyone?)
[/quote]

I don’t see a connection there

I think a trilogy would be too much. Two halves 2 hours each should be just right. Why are we even arguing about it? Its QTs call and whatever is best, he will pick it. So just be cool and lets wait to hear the next bunch of cool news like casting and locations for the film.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
Its QTs call and whatever is best, he will pick it.[/quote]

I hope it is, but I don’t think it is. It’s never the director’s call. In this case, it’s the Weinstein’s call. Let’s just hope he can persuade them into doing 2 or 3 Volumes or whatever.

[quote=“Sebastian”]
I don’t see a connection there
[/quote]

Well appearently people want to go shopping, see a 100 minute movie and then go out to eat, and not go see a 3,5 hour epic.

Im pretty sure that QT is deciding on this. He certainly knows that he cant release a single 4 + hour movie. Actually we all know that. Its not gonna happen no matter whos in charge. So its obvious that he has chosen to go with a 2 parter like Kill Bill. As he told Seb about a year ago “I know what Im gonna do with it now”.

Its the smartest move for todays moviegoing audience

1. It guarantees that people will go see both films and not get up and leave after 2 hours. 2) Splitting it in half guarantees a large part of the first half’s audience will want to come back to see what happens in the end. 3) It will make alot more $$ for the studio since people will be seeing two movies. That means QT will be able to make more films in the future which we all want to see.

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
Well appearently people want to go shopping, see a 100 minute movie and then go out to eat, and not go see a 3,5 hour epic.
[/quote]

which movie is 100 minutes these days? this is way off topic now but the length of a moviei rarely is a reason for people to go see it I would say. i never check how long a movie is when i go to the movies. but then again i’m not american, and I don’t go shopping at midnight therefore… and I don’t watch movies at the theater in the afternoon either