Movie (& pop culture) Influences / References

Hey, I keep thinking about the different movies I think QT might try to draw from for Inglorious Bastards (if that’s what it ends up being called). Obviously there’s The Dirty Dozen, but I was thinking of a few others:

The Big Red One (Samuel Fuller, 1980)

Slaughterhouse Five (George Roy Hill, 1972) (plus the source novel)

Where Eagles Dare (Brian G. Hutton, 1968)

The Train (John Frankenheimer, 1965)

The Execution of Private Slovik (Lamont Johnson, 1974)

A Man Escaped (Robert Bresson, 1956)

Ashes and Diamonds (Andrzej Wajda, 1958)

The Thin Red Line (Terrence Malick, 1998)

Stalag 17 (Billy Wilder, 1953)

The Bridge on the River Kwai (David Lean, 1957)

Too Late the Hero (Robert Aldrich, 1970)

Sahara (Zoltan Korda, 1943)

The Guns of Navarone (J. Lee Thompson, 1961)

Any on your mind?

Full Metal JAcket

This is a good topic. It would be a good idea to freshen up on our war movies to prepare ourselfs for IB. -sorta like what we did for Grindhouse.

Red Dawn

The Longest Day

Apocalypse Now

Tora! Tora! Tora!

Kelly’s Heroes

A Bridge Too Far

Definitely Causalitys of war, because it is his favorite war film.

cross of iron

and also many italian war movies, or more specifically, “guys on a mission” movies.

[quote=“ThaDuke”]
This is a good topic. It would be a good idea to freshen up on our war movies to prepare ourselfs for IB. -sorta like what we did for Grindhouse.
[/quote]
Yeah we have a good five years to study up on our war movies ;D

Leones westerns! :slight_smile:

The Dirty Dozen…

- Inglorious Bastards

• Five for Hell

There’s gonna be a lot of Spaghetti Western-influence too. Didn’t QT say the film was going to be like a SW set in WWII? He did at least say that Inglorious Bastards will be to WWII what The Good, The Bad and The Ugly was to the Civil War.

Yeah he has said many times its supposed to be to WW2 what The GBU was to The Civil War. But it sounds like its much more than that at the same time.

Sounds like he was influenced by everything from German films to French New Wave to American Grindhouse films to Italian Neo-Realism, Macaroni Combat & Spaghetti Westerns. Basically everything he loves in his film collection!!

not to mention “one of Tinto Brass’s Italian B-movie rip-off’s of Visconti’s “The Damned” (The Damned (1969) - IMDb)”

I havent seen alot of Tinto Brass’ movies, but I do own Caligula which he directed. Which is one of the most decadent looking films Ive ever seen.

which is a good thing, right? I think I’ve only seen Yankee, his endeavour into the Spaghetti Western genre

Yep. With QTs encyclopedic knowledge of film, its almost like everything he writes is connected to another film he loves. He doesnt write closeups of peoples faces. He writes Sergio Leone close ups. He doesnt use a flashback, he uses a spaghetti western flashback. You know the drill.

Aldo Raine sounds like “Aldo Ray” an actor mentioned by QT on My best friend’s birthday, remember?

[quote=“Sylvia”]
Aldo Raine sounds like “Aldo Ray” an actor mentioned by QT on My best friend’s birthday, remember?
[/quote]

Yeah, Pete mentionned it on another topic too.

I thought this was a pretty funny little tidbit I came across there.

I was just browsing through teletext a while ago and was checking tonight’s movie previews. On BBC 2 tonight there’s movie on called Taking Sides.

Here’s what was in the synopsis:

"Post WWII drama. During de-nazification, a brilliant German orchestra conductor is quizzed about his role in the Third Reich. Starring Harvey Keitel. (2001)"

Thought it was pretty interesting after skimming through IB a few hours before, haha… ^-^

I know the silent classic ‘The Kid’ gets discussed in one scene, along with Leni Riefenstahl’s mountain climbing films. This, of course, means I’m renting them tout de suite. I want to be in-the-know for my first watchthrough of IB.

Brad Pitt as a redneck, who’s into German scalps. Y’all know what movie I’m talking about.