Movie (& pop culture) Influences / References

Once Upon a Time... in Nazi-Occupied France. Quentin Tarantino's latest!
Mr. Jettah
Real McCoy

Re: Movie (&pop culture) Influences / References

Post by Mr. Jettah » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:45 pm

im sure he is, and ye i agree with Ify, i think the scene in qunetins movie is like a combination of the massacre in the opening scene of GBU and Once upon a time in the west. Theyre very similar anyway

RatQuiRit
Fucking Professional

Post by RatQuiRit » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:58 pm

Mr. Jettah wrote: im sure he is, and ye i agree with Ify, i think the scene in qunetins movie is like a combination of the massacre in the opening scene of GBU and Once upon a time in the west. Theyre very similar anyway
Totally agree, I instantly pictured Once upon a time in the west but with green vegetation when I started reading the script. (I'm consciously being vague in order not to drop spoilers but those who read the script know what I'm talking about that's for sure :) )
"Grief is idiotic...I choose nothing: It's not better, but grief is a compromise. It's everything or nothing."

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:03 pm

probably his dad ;-)

Mr Q
Kiddo

Post by Mr Q » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:55 am

Dirty Dozen: Next Mission (1985) Dir. Andrew V. McLaglen. Movie begin, when Gen."butcher" Dietrich arrive in the automobiles with driver and two motorcycling front of them - just like Hans Landa.

Mr Q
Kiddo

Post by Mr Q » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:24 pm

I watched more Dirty Dozen Special Edition extra's and here's the story a guys name Jake McNiece and his Filthy 13 with Mohawk-look. I'll be sure that Quentin get his Aldo Raine and Basterds-ideas from this man and the group.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:11 pm

i'm watching THE FURY OF JOHNNY KID right now, and peter lee lawrence's scar from being tied up looks a bit like the one Aldo Raine has...

TarantinosNYC
Cowardly Lion

Post by TarantinosNYC » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:45 pm

Is there any crossover with the serious movie "Defiance" now playing?

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:13 pm

I'm very sure there isn't, and I see no reason why there would

Movie_Villain
Real McCoy

Post by Movie_Villain » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:07 am

Last edited by Movie_Villain on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Hunger! Empty bellies! THAT'S the sense it makes ya blanket head!" - John Wayne in the Searchers

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:45 am

hell yea. need to get this on dvd

Col. Crazy Kenneth
Fucking Professional

Post by Col. Crazy Kenneth » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:53 am

starring Horst "Buck-holz"! LOL
Sebastian wrote: hell yea. need to get this on dvd
don't expect too much. Watching it I felt it could have been so better. maybe Lenzi was sloppy.
"So much of what you see now in Hollywood is written and directed by committee, and you can see it. Things are so workshopped and so run around the room, and so overthought." - Trey Parker

magazine79
Kiddo

Post by magazine79 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:54 pm

@sebastian
Have you asked QT about the real influences?

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:08 pm

Buchholz

@magazine: no I haven't. I plan on doing that someday though.

I mean a lot are really obvious

Karnstein
Cowardly Lion

Post by Karnstein » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:10 pm

Saw From Hell To Victory for the first time last year. It's now an absolute favourite. I love it! Hands down my fave macaroni combat

magazine79
Kiddo

Post by magazine79 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:02 am

A REAL influcence might be "5 Graves To Cairo". He has that movie in his latest top 10-list an the pictures from the set have a similar look.

Angel
Fucking Professional

The Siege of Firebase Gloria (1989)

Post by Angel » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:59 pm

Okay, so I was watching the original funding pitch included on the 2-disc for Not Quite Hollywood. It features a conversation between Brian Trenchard-Smith and Quentin Tarantino in which they talk mostly about Brian's films and Australian exploitation.

At one point, Tarantino tells Brian that he absolutely loves his 1989 Vietnam war film The Siege of Firebase Gloria (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098328/). He raves on about how good it is and certain aspects of it that he feels Brian did especially well.

What do you think the chances are that Firebase Gloria will show up in some form in Inglourious Basterds? Not WWII obviously, but wouldn't surprise me.

Col. Crazy Kenneth
Fucking Professional

Re: The Siege of Firebase Gloria (1989)

Post by Col. Crazy Kenneth » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:20 pm

I thought Siege was just OK. I have only seen the main feature and don't have the DVD, is there any chanche you can upload this special feature where the two talk?
"So much of what you see now in Hollywood is written and directed by committee, and you can see it. Things are so workshopped and so run around the room, and so overthought." - Trey Parker

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:47 am

holy shit. something just occurred to me in a real how the fuck didn't I see it before fashion. For those of you who haven't read too much of the script (or none at all) i won't spoil it for you but the young girl in the film who we see a brief flash of running in the trailer has a story that is real reminiscent of Cinema Paradiso as played out by Quentin Tarantino. Not too much but it felt like he was inspired by that film. but maybe it's just a coincidence.
Ordell Robbie. O-R-D-E-L-L R-O-B-B-I-E. 1436 Florence Boulevard. Compton 90222.

Kinick
Fucking Professional

Post by Kinick » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:03 pm

Ordell Rodriguez wrote: holy shit. something just occurred to me in a real how the fuck didn't I see it before fashion. For those of you who haven't read too much of the script (or none at all) i won't spoil it for you but the young girl in the film who we see a brief flash of running in the trailer has a story that is real reminiscent of Cinema Paradiso as played out by Quentin Tarantino. Not too much but it felt like he was inspired by that film. but maybe it's just a coincidence.
Actually that was one of the first influences / references pointed by the first script reviews that appeared.  :)

Also, if you've read the script, check out the film "Black Book" on IMDb. ;)

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:15 pm

Kinick wrote: Actually that was one of the first influences / references pointed by the first script reviews that appeared.  :)

Also, if you've read the script, check out the film "Black Book" on IMDb. ;)
Now i feel like a jack. I never read the reviews and such, just hit that PDF link so fast it'd make your head spin. But thanks for the movie, it actually looks pretty damn cool (for a Paul Verhoeven movie)

VikingWithNoName
Basterd

Post by VikingWithNoName » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:13 am

moura wrote: guys, if u are looking for a movie the might have influenced tarantino's Inglorious Bastards...i REALLY sugest u to watch The Eagle Has Landed with Robert Duvall and Michael Caine...that movie is very cool and is about a fictitios plot by the nazies to assassinate Winston Churchil...it made me think about Bastards all the way through it (and i have already readed quentin's screenplay)

realy good movie
I have seen that movie. It's really, really good. It also has the cliché that is having swedish actor playing a nazi. Happens all the time in WWII-movies. They also makes swdish-actors play russians, even do we swedes mostly don't like russians.
The Tunehunter. I love my nickname just becouse i have earned it.

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:19 am

VikingWithNoName wrote: I have seen that movie. It's really, really good. It also has the cliché that is having swedish actor playing a nazi. Happens all the time in WWII-movies. They also makes swdish-actors play russians, even do we swedes mostly don't like russians.
How ironic.

The movie looks really cool, I'm gonna check it out around the time of Inglourious Basterds. It's directed by John Sturges which is always a plus. Something I've been doing is saving all the WWII movies that might have inspired Inglourious Basterds and just cool WWII movies in general till around August 21, kinda like a WWII marathon leading up to the flick. The Eagle Has Landed is definitely going on the list.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crazy Love
Cowardly Lion

Post by Crazy Love » Fri May 08, 2009 12:33 pm

The "double-take" scene in La Louisiane, for the curious, is lifted pretty much wholesale from the 1943 screwball 'Hi Diddle Diddle'. I netflixed it after seeing the title on a list of QT's favorites and was pretty gobsmacked to see the double-take scene I remembered from IB's script in preliminary form. the film is fantastic, i might add, and well worth a viewing beyond just the double-take scene.

Kinick
Fucking Professional

Post by Kinick » Fri May 08, 2009 1:53 pm

Crazy Love wrote: The "double-take" scene in La Louisiane, for the curious, is lifted pretty much wholesale from the 1943 screwball 'Hi Diddle Diddle'. I netflixed it after seeing the title on a list of QT's favorites and was pretty gobsmacked to see the double-take scene I remembered from IB's script in preliminary form. the film is fantastic, i might add, and well worth a viewing beyond just the double-take scene.
In the script, that part completely ruined La Louisiane for me. Sorry, but it did, I hope it works better on film.

Pete
Fucking Professional

Post by Pete » Fri May 08, 2009 2:00 pm

Thats what QTs best at to me, mixing laughs with violence/tension. Sounds like hes gonna be doing that with La Louisiane. 30s screwball humor mixed with Tarantino violence = awesome. Cant wait to see "Reservoir Dogs reduced to 24 minutes in German"!

Pinkman
Real McCoy

Post by Pinkman » Fri May 08, 2009 3:10 pm

Kinick wrote: In the script, that part completely ruined La Louisiane for me. Sorry, but it did, I hope it works better on film.
lol, have some humor, the soldiers are all very drunk in this scene, that's why they act childishlly and miserable. It's a nice contrast with the tension going on with the meeting. Cinematically speaking, it's good to play with mood like this.

Kinick
Fucking Professional

Post by Kinick » Fri May 08, 2009 3:15 pm

Pinkman wrote: lol, have some humor, the soldiers are all very drunk in this scene, that's why they act childishlly and miserable. It's a nice contrast with the tension going on with the meeting. Cinematically speaking, it's good to play with mood like this.
Yeah, I know. It just read a bit too childishly and miserable if you know what I mean. Like I envisioned the worse on page thinking what Q would do with it...we'll see.

Pinkman
Real McCoy

Post by Pinkman » Fri May 08, 2009 3:45 pm

If you had this thought process while reading the script, there's no wonder why you didn't like it. I guess that's where we disagree, I have faith in QT to pull it off, you apparently don't and even think the worse on every page. I'm a bit confused, if he's so terrible, why are you here? but hey that's not my problem.

Kinick
Fucking Professional

Post by Kinick » Fri May 08, 2009 4:15 pm

Pinkman wrote: If you had this thought process while reading the script, there's no wonder why you didn't like it. I guess that's where we disagree, I have faith in QT to pull it off, you apparently don't and even think the worse on every page. I'm a bit confused, if he's so terrible, why are you here? but hey that's not my problem.
I was talking just about that specific part.

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Fri May 08, 2009 10:50 pm

Kinick wrote: In the script, that part completely ruined La Louisiane for me. Sorry, but it did, I hope it works better on film.
I was pretty taken aback when I read that part. It took me a while to get used to the idea, mostly by going and watching some bitchin' Howard Hawk's screwball comedies. If handled as carefully as QT does it'll be a really cool bit, but in the middle of a WWII movie it will test his filmmaking limits to the extreme. Especially as a comic director.