Movie (& pop culture) Influences / References

Once Upon a Time... in Nazi-Occupied France. Quentin Tarantino's latest!
Pete
Fucking Professional

Re: Movie (&pop culture) Influences / References

Post by Pete » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:36 pm

Its not one of the best war films ive seen but I enjoyed it as a wacky Macaroni combat exploitation flick. Thats all it is.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ingloriousbastard

Post by ingloriousbastard » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:42 pm

edit: I have merged this with the movie references /influences topic.

Welcome to the forum btw, glad to have you with us
Thanks  :D I used to post as 'TonyMontana' but I havent been on for a while and I've been entrenched in Film Noir all summer, and what with the arrival of Death Proof and the coming Inglorious Bastards in production in a few weeks (finally and fingers crossed) I chose a new username.

Thanks for contributing to the list of possible influences - all that we've mentioned so far look like they definately will have gone some way to influence some part of Tarantino's Inglorious Bastards. Though I was unsure about From Hell to Victory, though I havn't been able to find a trailer. Plus I watched the trailer for Eastern Condors and the trailer looked surreally absurd and quite dull, but if Tarantino thought so much of it as to show it to people I guess there must be some thing in it.

I also thought maybe the film Hell's Brigade: The Final Assault with Jack Palance in may have some influence? I've heard it's rubbish, but alot of exploitation films can be deemed by some as 'rubbish'. I can't find a trailer for it though. 

ingloriousbastard

Post by ingloriousbastard » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:38 am

Soooo...From Hell to Victory is definately a Tarantino fave so I've found.

Other films that may have influenced Tarantino? ;

The Great Escape (Dir. John Struges - 1963)
Hell's Brigade: The Final Assault (Dir. Leon Klimovsky - 1969)
Dirty Heroes (Dir. Alberto De Martino - 1967)
Kelly's Heroes (Dir. Brian G. Hutton - 1970)
Paths of Glory (Dir. Stanley Kubrick - 1957)
Battle of Britain (Dir. Guy Hamilton - 1969)

= The Great Escape, obviously the most famous with Tarantino favorite and Death Wish star Charles Bronson, as well as Steve Mcqueen - Hell's Brigade.. sounds like it was ahead of it's time in that it was an uncredited exploitation flick and many think it stinks, but it has Jack Palance in it!? - Dirty Heroes has actually been mentioned in association with Inglorious Bastards by Tarantino a number of times, so a definate influence! - Kelly's Heroes jumped out at me because it's just overshooting that 60s war-movie slot Tarantino has been researching but it looks like a great 'men on a mission' war film from the trailer, plus it stars Fistful of Dollars star Clint Eastwood, so it must have attracted Tarantino's attention surely? - Similarly Paths of Glory undercuts the 60s war-movie subgenre by 2 years and is more of a straight laced film by the looks of things, but it's directed by the master himself (2nd only to Kurosawa) Kubrick and since it's well known that Kubrick's The Killing is a big influence on Tarantino I would have thought he would have considered this war film, plus it stars Kirk Douglas - and finally I've heard Tarantino mention Battle of Britain before in context with Castellari's Inglorious Bastards, and what i get from what he says, he thinks Battle of Britain is a key-player in it's 1960's war-movie context (e.g. I think one of the actors in it was requested by Castellari after Battle of Britain's shooting, to appear in some of Inglorious Bastards), however as a movie on it's own he thinks it's a bit 'reserved' and maybe overly factual compared to other films mentioned in this thread for instance.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:42 am

frankly I see no connection between Paths of Glory and what Tarantino is about to shoot, where do you see a possible connection? it's a ww1 movie...

Pete
Fucking Professional

Post by Pete » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:17 am

We forgot The Big Red One. Thats def gotta be an influence on Basterds.

ingloriousbastard

Post by ingloriousbastard » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:35 pm

I forgot The Big Red One as well, a great Sam Fuller film - I love anything lee marvin is in.
frankly I see no connection between Paths of Glory and what Tarantino is about to shoot, where do you see a possible connection? it's a ww1 movie...
yeah your right. The link was extremely tenuous...I guess I'm just looking for war films to buy myself and this cropped up cause its directed by Kurbrick.

can you guys check over my list I have so far of war movies to watch and tell me the good ones from the duds that arent worth buying;

- Inglorious Bastards (castellari)
- Battle of the Bulge
- Where Eagles dare
- The Big Red One
- Hope & Glory
- The Guns of Navarone
- Cross of Iron
- Casualties of War
- Five for Hell
- Battle Squadron
- Eastern Condors
- Dark of the Sun
- From Hell to Victory
- Hell's Brigade: the Final Assault
- Dirty Heroes
- Kelly's Heroes
- Battle of Britain
- The Bridge over the River Kwai
- Paths of Glory

Obviously this thread is helping me with this list.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:48 pm

are we picking good war movies now or are we trying to come up with real refrences and influences on inglorious bastards? i think some entries on this list you'll have a hard time relating it to Tarantino's movie at all

Pete
Fucking Professional

Post by Pete » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:51 pm

I agree. We should keep this topic for legitimate pop culture/movie references. Not make war movie lists.

Heres a new topic for all other war movies:

http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.p ... w.html#new
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:01 pm

Pete
Fucking Professional

Post by Pete » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:27 pm

QT screened The Good the Bad and the Ugly for the cast recently. 8)

Kilgore Trout

Post by Kilgore Trout » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:40 pm

for some reason I keep wondering how cool this would be if Steve McQueen were in his 20's right now.

nublob
Basterd

Post by nublob » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:21 pm

I love Steve McQueen.  They just don't make stars like him anymore.  :'(

MisterBrown
Cowardly Lion

Post by MisterBrown » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:18 pm

There's a spit-take scene in the IB script that is a clear homage to the old Olson & Johnson comedy "Crazy House"...which was one of the movies Tarantino selected for his little movie fest on Trio TV a few years back.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:24 pm

what is "spit-take" ?

Pete
Fucking Professional

Post by Pete » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:12 am

Its when someone is surprised by something and they spit out what theyre drinking. Youve seen it in movies before Im sure.

*G*
Fucking Professional

Post by *G* » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:58 am

Steve McQueen was the coolest hollywood actor ever.

Kilgore Trout

Post by Kilgore Trout » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:39 pm

GRINDHOUSE wrote: Steve McQueen was the coolest hollywood actor ever.
One of the coolest.  Newman was cool.  James Dean was cool.  Pacino is cool.

ingloriousbastard

Post by ingloriousbastard » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:06 pm

QT screened The Good the Bad and the Ugly for the cast recently.
what do you think is the significance? hopefully tarantino may do a proper spaghetti western next?

nublob
Basterd

Post by nublob » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:49 pm

what do you think is the significance? hopefully tarantino may do a proper spaghetti western next
?

I think IB is going to BE his Spaghetti Western  or at least his version of one.  That's why he has subtitled it (in interviews anyway) as Once Upon a Time In Nazi Occupied France
Last edited by nublob on Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:47 pm

yeah this has nothing to do with him maybe doing a SW next. he's stated numerous times that IB would be sort of like GBU in nazi occupied france... imagine a little odyssee of characters through enemy lands, trickery, epic imagery and a great score...

ingloriousbastard

Post by ingloriousbastard » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:31 pm

i havnt read the script yet, can i expect a standoff/mexican standoff?

I've read that tarantino would like to choose his own music for IB and not be confined to music of the period or sterotypical war music perhaps, but wouldn it be great if he got morricone to do a track for the film.

Pete
Fucking Professional

Post by Pete » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:54 pm

Hes probably just going to use an existing Morricone track from another film like he usually does.

nublob
Basterd

Post by nublob » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:00 pm

can i expect a standoff/mexican standoff
yes lots of guns and killin and scalpin Just about every form of murder you can think of

Henry Chinaski
Hard Drinker

Post by Henry Chinaski » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:25 pm

Didn't know whether to post this here or in the casting topic but I just watched the Castellari movie and understood the reasons behind some controversial casting choices for the commando members. In the Castellari movie, not the whole of the commando is composed of "man on a mission with balls". In my opinion, only Fred Williamson is really that way (and Bo Svenson a bit). The rest looks more like a laughing stock. So it might explain why QT picked that kind of "geek" casting for the men under Raine's command. The same way he might have decided every actor should talk in its native language because it was that way in the Castellari movie. Hope Quentin gets good translators to keep the dialogue's impact because I'm worried about it.:)

Bob Rock
Kiddo

Post by Bob Rock » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:19 am

The rest looks more like a laughing stock. So it might explain why QT picked that kind of "geek" casting for the men under Raine's command.
The reason behind "The Casting of The Comedians" is actually quite simple (in my opinion): the characters in the script...well, anyone who read the script, should know what I'm aiming at, the rest can just keep on guessing till you se the actual flick.
Also, his screening of Leone's masterpiece is understandable: the first scene in IB is similar to one of the scenes in The Good, The Bad & The Ugly.
As for the dialogue thing: I think QT was emboldened by Gibson's triumphs to go subtitle crazy.
When Enkidu heard this pronouncement of Ishtar,
he wrenched off the Bull's hindquarter and flung it in her face:
"If I could only get at you I would do the same to you!
I would drape his innards over your arms!"

Henry Chinaski
Hard Drinker

Post by Henry Chinaski » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:42 am

Bob Rock wrote: The reason behind "The Casting of The Comedians" is actually quite simple (in my opinion): the characters in the script...
A script paying tribute to Castellari's Inglorious Bastards. BTW, my argument was just aiming at the ones who had read the script and still wanted a Planet Hollywood casting.
Bob Rock wrote: As for the dialogue thing: I think QT was emboldened by Gibson's triumphs to go subtitle crazy.
Not sure. KB already had subtitled parts.

ingloriousbastard

Post by ingloriousbastard » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:43 pm

hasnt he cast the comedian actors - especially those to portray the english - because he's trying to pay homage to the exploitation films and films like inglorious bastards that had less than good quality acting and poor accents?

Bob Rock
Kiddo

Post by Bob Rock » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:01 am

The way I see it, the comic actors have been chosen for 2 reasons: a) they're Jews; and b) their characters are featured in purposefuly funny scenes, thus their comedic background should come in handy.
When Enkidu heard this pronouncement of Ishtar,
he wrenched off the Bull's hindquarter and flung it in her face:
"If I could only get at you I would do the same to you!
I would drape his innards over your arms!"

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:11 am

Ok, I haven't read the script (even though I've had it ever since it was leaked), but I've been hearing talk of a massacre a lot, coupled with those on-set images of the farm house. Well I wonder if QT will pay homage to what is in my opinion, one of the greatest massacre scenes ever filmed. The simple, yet emotionally powerful, mysterious and stylised massacre scene in Once Upon A Time In The West.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KVtEEM4Blz4

His previous massacre scene (Kill Bill), was largely within his own style (implied violence through sound, camera panning away from the action), and it gives me goosebumps to this day, such is it's beauty. It has parallels to Leone's scene - the massacre itself comes as a surprise after a long, stretched-out opening scene; a soothing moment before the actual act; loud, terrifying music prior to the eventual appearance of the perpetrators; stylised and mysterious emergence of the perpetrators and taking place in an isolated desert surrounding. So it will be interesting if he will approach his latest massacre scene differently. It would be awesome if he had Morricone music playing during the scene too, as a further nod to the spaghetti western.

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

Pete
Fucking Professional

Post by Pete » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:10 pm

I wonder if Donny Donowitz is related to Lee Donowitz.