Movie (& pop culture) Influences / References

Once Upon a Time... in Nazi-Occupied France. Quentin Tarantino's latest!
Pete
Fucking Professional

Re: Movie (&pop culture) Influences / References

Post by Pete » Wed May 13, 2009 2:25 pm

Geek observation: Archie Hicox looks alot like Rod Taylor in Dark of The Sun in this image. Maybe its the beret. Rod happens to be in the same scene with him which cant be a coincidence.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Fri May 15, 2009 8:14 pm

winston churchill :P

btw I added a few things to the movie references guide and the tracklist, maybe the movie references guide could use some spicing up "en lieu" of the tracklist published, i just started but i dont have time to finish it.

we dont have to copy the whole tracklist into th emovie references guide, but those movies that are just mainly in the tracks but not otherwise neatly referenced we could mention them in one sentence in that references guide, and mention the other public domain german tunes as pop culture references

nublob
Basterd

Post by nublob » Fri May 15, 2009 8:47 pm

I noticed that the game Diane Kruger and the germans are playing in the bar in IB was played in Coppola's Marie Antoinette

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Sat May 16, 2009 3:19 pm

really? but itsn't it also a very common (drinking) game anyways?

Col. Crazy Kenneth
Fucking Professional

Post by Col. Crazy Kenneth » Sat May 16, 2009 6:16 pm

wasn't it already said that the drinking game is inspired by that episode of "The Office"?
"So much of what you see now in Hollywood is written and directed by committee, and you can see it. Things are so workshopped and so run around the room, and so overthought." - Trey Parker

Kinick
Fucking Professional

Post by Kinick » Sat May 16, 2009 6:20 pm

There seems to be a lot inspired by The Office. Apparently the Bowie song from Cat People was just featured in it a few weeks ago.

magazine79
Kiddo

Post by magazine79 » Tue May 19, 2009 9:11 am

war films of the 40ies and 50ies!!!
He talked about this genre in many interviews.

Five Graves To Cairo ...

Which movies does the man mean?

Pete
Fucking Professional

Re: Movie (& pop culture) Influences / References

Post by Pete » Tue May 19, 2009 12:07 pm

Check out the pulp war films made by American International Pictures: Suicide Battalion, Hell Squad, Tank Battalion, Paratroop Command

Howard Hawks films: Air Force, Seargent York
Last edited by Ify on Tue May 19, 2009 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Turk
Cowardly Lion

Post by Turk » Sat May 23, 2009 10:58 pm

Two references:

* When i was watching the trailer of Legends of The Fall in which Brad Pitt is lead, i saw a scene in which he is scalping. After i verified that Pitt's character scalps in the movie. I think that a little one of the reasons why Tarantino wanted Pitt as a first name for Aldo is this reference. Because Tarantino loves this kind of actor filmography reference. Besides may be in a same way Natassja Kinski is wanted by Tarantino at first for Hammersberg character with his think that the Bowie's song from Cat People will be used in Basterds.(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocAeBZdSDWg at 1:58 exactly)

* Inglourious Basterds is not the only Tarantino film in which scalping is present. In Kill Bill the Bride killed O-Ren Ishii by scalping, so this is a self reference such as the baseball bat used by Donowitz is a reference to Pulp Fiction Butch killing tool menu. Thinking that Kill Bill script is written after Basterds, Kill Bill in fact has a reference to Basterds.

Besides, for people knowing the final line of the movie like me accidentelly from an interviewer or from reading script; i  remember a similar line from somewhere but i'm not sure... May be someone can find it....
Last edited by Turk on Sat May 23, 2009 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KeyserSoze84 from SinemaFanatik

magazine79
Kiddo

Post by magazine79 » Thu May 28, 2009 10:56 am

De Palma´s "Redacted":
Has REDACTED been an influence?
He was a big De Palma fan.

PFC Baelin Utivich
Real McCoy

Post by PFC Baelin Utivich » Thu May 28, 2009 6:44 pm

Michael: *points to Jim* Yes?

Jim: Dwight tried to kiss me

Dwight: What?!

Jim: And I didn't tell anyone because I'm not really sure how I feel about it.

Dwight: That is not true, redact it. REDACT IT!

Jim : Well I'm not actually making a formal complaint I just really think we should talk about it.

Dwight: Question. When a name is withdrawn, does that also apply to the permanent misbehavior file in New York?

Toby: ......sure

The word redact is amazing
EYES FORWARD!

Pete
Fucking Professional

Post by Pete » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:04 am

The baseball bat thing w/ Donny reminds me of Al Capone in The Untouchables. I think these two movies would make a great double feature actually. Theyre both based partly on real history but are like heightened film versions with different fictional characters added in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc9zF8G2Pvc
Last edited by Pete on Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PFC Baelin Utivich
Real McCoy

Post by PFC Baelin Utivich » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:47 am

Pete wrote: The baseball bat thing w/ Donny reminds me of Al Capone in The Untouchables. I think these two movies would make a great double feature actually. Theyre both based partly on real history but are like heightened film versions with different fictional characters added in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc9zF8G2Pvc
Great find. DeNiro was such a sleeze in that movie!
EYES FORWARD!

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:11 am

PFC Baelin Utivich wrote: Great find. DeNiro was such a sleeze in that movie!
So great though. Could have done with an entire movie with him as Capone.
Ordell Robbie. O-R-D-E-L-L R-O-B-B-I-E. 1436 Florence Boulevard. Compton 90222.

Lt. BioBasterd
Fucking Professional

Post by Lt. BioBasterd » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:01 pm

Anyone catch the Greta Garbo refrences in Operation Kino?

Mata Hairi and Queen Christina. 8)

Col. Crazy Kenneth
Fucking Professional

Post by Col. Crazy Kenneth » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:06 pm

I don't think he references The Untouchables. So there was a baseball bat in that scene too, that doesn't mean anything. It's totally different.

Pete
Fucking Professional

Post by Pete » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:08 pm

Its not a specific reference, it just reminded me of that scene in Untouchables.

m_burlock
Kiddo

Post by m_burlock » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:46 pm

I have a question: could Tarantino's fave revenge movies have had an influence on IB, generally speaking? ???

Bob Rock
Kiddo

Post by Bob Rock » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:00 am

Scene with Archie talking to Stiglitz reminded me a bit of the scene in Conan The Barbarian when Conan is just sharpening his sword with a stone and Valeria and Subotai are convincing him not to kill Thulsa Doom that night.

m_burlock
Kiddo

Post by m_burlock » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:32 pm

The surname of an actress in Dark of the Sun matches the surname Shosanna used as an alias when owner of the movie theater.

The main theme of Dark of the Sun is heard in IB.

Check this out: www.imdb.com/title/tt0361748/movieconnections.

robertdiggs36
Real McCoy

Post by robertdiggs36 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:12 am

I like the similarities between Kill Bill and Inglourious Basterds. In Kill Bill, it did not take Lisa Wong long to send a hit on the bride's head. In that scene, the bride says, "I am better than Annie Oakley and I have you right in my sight." Then the bride tells the would be killer that she is pregnant, and they talk their way out of the sticky situation. In Inglourious Basterds, Wilhelm is a new father in the chapter "Operation Kino." Stiglitz points his gun at Hellstrom's testicles and says, "And at this range I am a regular Fredrick Zoeller." Wilhelm is not able to get out of the sticky situation. Not exactly the same, but has the same vibes.

Bob Rock
Kiddo

Post by Bob Rock » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:24 am

I like the similarities between Kill Bill and Inglourious Basterds. In Kill Bill, it did not take Lisa Wong long to send a hit on the bride's head. In that scene, the bride says, "I am better than Annie Oakley and I have you right in my sight." Then the bride tells the would be killer that she is pregnant, and they talk their way out of the sticky situation. In Inglourious Basterds, Wilhelm is a new father in the chapter "Operation Kino." Stiglitz points his gun at Hellstrom's testicles and says, "And at this range I am a regular Fredrick Zoeller." Wilhelm is not able to get out of the sticky situation. Not exactly the same, but has the same vibes.
There are more dialogue similarities to other QT movies. When Aldo says that Landa's proposal sounds like a fantasy, Landa retorts that he would be right in 999.999 cases, but not in this one. This is similar to, again, Beatrix versus Lisa scene in KB, where Lisa disbelieves Bride about being a mother.

robertdiggs36
Real McCoy

Post by robertdiggs36 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:15 pm

Bob Rock wrote:
There are more dialogue similarities to other QT movies. When Aldo says that Landa's proposal sounds like a fantasy, Landa retorts that he would be right in 999.999 cases, but not in this one. This is similar to, again, Beatrix versus Lisa scene in KB, where Lisa disbelieves Bride about being a mother.[/quott e]

There are a lot more I just liked that one. Also, Bridget Von Hammersmark says, "I know this is a silly question before I ask it, but do you Americans speak any other language than english?" In Kill Bill Vol. 2, Bill said to Budd, "I know this is a ridiculous question before I ask it, but have you kept up with your sword play?"

Utivich
Real McCoy

Post by Utivich » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:29 pm

Shosanna, Hans and Aldo obviously represents The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. The similarities between them are many. Tuco getting caught at in the beginning shouting insults about Blondie, wish also Brad Pitt gets in the end of IB. Shouting insults abot Germany. The snuff they both use. Both are funny characters, etc.

The similarities between Hans and Angel Eyes is even more. Like the opening of each film etc.

Movie_Villain
Real McCoy

Post by Movie_Villain » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:26 pm

I posted this somewhere else but thought it fit better here..at the Cinemapocalypse film fest in Austin Tx, QT screened Basterds along with a few other films that had somesort of influence on IB

the films:
The Losers (73')
Siege at Firebase Gloria (89')
Vigilante (83')
The Black Gestapo (75')

an asian film called Ip Man was also shown, dont know if that counts as an influence though..ive seen The Losers (kinda dumb, however the music is great) and Siege at Firebase Gloria and I must say that Firebase is one of the best Vietnam movies ive ever seen..just saying

here's a link coverage to the event

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/film-f ... -colea.php

spader
Cowardly Lion

Post by spader » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:37 am

Hi guys,
just watched I.B. and noticed a few intertextual references and wanted to see what I'd all missed. I picked up a couple of things I've not seen mentioned yet - sorry if they have and I've overlooked.

The rope scar around Aldo's neck is a reference to Clint Eastwood in Hang Em High, who is lynched at the start of the film and has an identical scar as a result.

A few things that triggered my memory but I can't put a specific reference to:

The scene of the Basterd who can't speak Italian falling over trying to get out of the cinema, and his entire schtick was very reminiscent of Manuel from Fawlty Towers, and the Italian comedian Roberto Benigni.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000905/

The scene at the start of the girl running from the house, shown through the door, then the shot of The Jew Hunter taking aim with the pistol. The first one I can't place, definitely a Western, but the second shot was very like scenes in For A Few Dollars More (Lee Van Cleef shooting with his extended pistol near the start) and Django (releasing prisoners and shooting them) when someone is running and is gunned down from a distance.

I'm sure the scene where the Iron Cross is pointed out and the officer says "...it was for bravery" is a reference to Cross of Iron, where Max Schell is obsessed with getting one for bravery, but it's been awhile since I've seen it.

Both British characters were modelled on, the absolute legend, George Sanders - but I didn't spot any explicit references to his films.

Anyway, hope those help jog someone's memory!

Movie_Villain
Real McCoy

Post by Movie_Villain » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:08 am

ya know..I was thinking about it..and Archie Hicox's character and specifically his scene in La Louiseanne reminds me of Richard Burton's character in Where Eagles Dare

Crazy Love
Cowardly Lion

Post by Crazy Love » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:37 pm

I always thought Raine's neck scar was a reference to "The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean". The main character in that survives a lynching attempt as well, and his scar is never mentioned for the rest of the movie. I first heard of the film from a list of Tarantino favorites, which is why i was sure that was where the reference was based from.

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:55 pm

Movie_Villain wrote:I posted this somewhere else but thought it fit better here..at the Cinemapocalypse film fest in Austin Tx, QT screened Basterds along with a few other films that had somesort of influence on IB

the films:
The Losers (73')
Siege at Firebase Gloria (89')
Vigilante (83')
The Black Gestapo (75')
The Black Gestapo poster actually looks like the IB one, it might not be a coincidence :

Col. Crazy Kenneth
Fucking Professional

Post by Col. Crazy Kenneth » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:10 pm

Man the Black Gestapo sucks ass, if only the movie were half as cool as the poster.