Movie (& pop culture) Influences / References

Once Upon a Time... in Nazi-Occupied France. Quentin Tarantino's latest!
cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Re: Movie (& pop culture) Influences / References

Post by cyber-lili » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:22 pm

Col. Crazy Kenneth wrote:Man the Black Gestapo sucks ass, if only the movie were half as cool as the poster.
Ahah. I haven't even seen the movie. Not sure I will that soon, I got other priorities. But at least that was fun to discover the poster and realize the similarity.

HEinDC
Cowardly Lion

Post by HEinDC » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:08 am

robertdiggs36 wrote:
Bob Rock wrote:
I like the similarities between Kill Bill and Inglourious Basterds. In Kill Bill, it did not take Lisa Wong long to send a hit on the bride's head. In that scene, the bride says, "I am better than Annie Oakley and I have you right in my sight." Then the bride tells the would be killer that she is pregnant, and they talk their way out of the sticky situation. In Inglourious Basterds, Wilhelm is a new father in the chapter "Operation Kino." Stiglitz points his gun at Hellstrom's testicles and says, "And at this range I am a regular Fredrick Zoeller." Wilhelm is not able to get out of the sticky situation. Not exactly the same, but has the same vibes.
There are more dialogue similarities to other QT movies. When Aldo says that Landa's proposal sounds like a fantasy, Landa retorts that he would be right in 999.999 cases, but not in this one. This is similar to, again, Beatrix versus Lisa scene in KB, where Lisa disbelieves Bride about being a mother.[/quott e]

There are a lot more I just liked that one. Also, Bridget Von Hammersmark says, "I know this is a silly question before I ask it, but do you Americans speak any other language than english?" In Kill Bill Vol. 2, Bill said to Budd, "I know this is a ridiculous question before I ask it, but have you kept up with your sword play?"
Another one is when Landa tells Lapadite his theory about rats, and Lapadite says, "it's an interesting theory, colonel" (or something close to that). It's similar to Jules' reaction when Vincent finally gets through to him about foot massages: "it's an interesting point."

HEinDC
Cowardly Lion

Post by HEinDC » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:13 am

I guess this is the right thread for this: has anyone else seen "The White Hell of Piz Palu"? I had heard of it for a number of years--it's one of the most famous German silent films--but I had never seen it. After the multiple references in IB, I decided to check it out. There's a good DVD of it in the US from Kino, so I got it on Netflix.

Wow--what a movie! The emphasis is more on the spectacle of treacherous mountain climbing in snow and ice than it is on the story, but I thought it was amazing. The mountain vistas and the frightening snowfalls are really gripping. It's extremely vivid, which was generally the biggest strength of the best German cinema of that era.

Dead Zed
Kiddo

Post by Dead Zed » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:28 pm

Here's a big work-in-progress list of references/influences:

http://www.scarecrow.com/2009/08/27/bef ... -basterds/

AWSOM 50
Cowardly Lion

Post by AWSOM 50 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:16 pm

Dead Zed wrote:Here's a big work-in-progress list of references/influences:

That's some interesting list but the Winnetou picture you?/they're using is actually an audio play. :police:

Anyway, I think The Searchers can not only be seen as referenced throught that shot but in general through the whole scalping affair, can't it?

And A thing I haven't read about anywhere yet: The cigarrette stubbed out in the cream. That must be To Catch A Thief, you know, the prominent cigarette in the egg scene. Big question here: Hitchcock reportedly hated eggs, does that mean QT dislikes cream?

Dead Zed
Kiddo

Post by Dead Zed » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:55 am

I don't a have a thing to do with that list, I haven't even seen Basterds yet, so I can't answer your questions :)

Mr.Pink

Post by Mr.Pink » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:58 am

Dead Zed wrote:I don't a have a thing to do with that list, I haven't even seen Basterds yet, so I can't answer your questions :)

No one asked.

EvenSteven
Cowardly Lion

Post by EvenSteven » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:38 pm

How about Romeo and Juliet? It's obvious that's the story that influenced Shosanna and Zoller's story. The fact that Shosanna checks on Zoller as he's dying suggests that there WERE feelings but it's just that she struggled with it since he's basically her enemy (2 houses, yada yadda)...and of course the double death. Even when they meet Shosanna is high up a ladder a la Juliet being high up a balcony

VikingWithNoName
Basterd

Post by VikingWithNoName » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:38 pm

The use of music from Eastern Condors is not just a music reference: In Eastern Condors the same music is played as a character runs in slowmotion, very simular to how Omar runs.

Laydback
Fucking Professional

Post by Laydback » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:41 pm

Surprised to not see The Wild Bunch in there.

Hugo's flashback shows that he has the same memory (Even from the same angle!) of being whipped by his captors. Just like Deke Thorton (Robert Ryan)

pedrozrl
Cowardly Lion

Post by pedrozrl » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:43 pm

the way aldo kills the last german (not looking at him) is similar to the way jules winfield kills the first guy in the flat in pulp fiction

blue_lou_boyle
Basterd

Post by blue_lou_boyle » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:31 am

Laydback wrote:

Surprised to not see The Wild Bunch in there.

Hugo's flashback shows that he has the same memory (Even from the same angle!) of being whipped by his captors. Just like Deke Thorton (Robert Ryan)
Good catch! I knew i recognised that from somewhere.

pedrozrl
Cowardly Lion

Post by pedrozrl » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:47 pm

when donny beats werner with the baseball bat, the camera goes back very fast, just like in dirty harry when harry is beaing scorpio in th baseball stadium.

also when privte butz is talking with aldo through the translator the camera moves very fast from one character to another. that reminded me the scene with harvey keitel and tim roth in the car at the beginig of reservoir dogs.

me
Fucking Professional

Post by me » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:36 pm

Don't know if its already bee mentioned or not, but the "All the rotton eggs in one basket" line has to be a reference to The Great Escape.

EvenSteven
Cowardly Lion

Post by EvenSteven » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:43 pm

Our class just talked about Zarah Leander today and it's obvious she was THE inspiration for Bridget Von Hammersmark.

gigiriva
Cowardly Lion

Post by gigiriva » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:52 pm

The idea of killing people with bombs and fire while they're watching a movie at the cinema reminds me of Fernando Di Leo's "Il Boss" (a.k.a. Wipeout!) opening scene:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh-xR-OE824

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069818/

Dr. Zombie-lint
Cowardly Lion

Post by Dr. Zombie-lint » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:12 pm

I am bumping this thread with a few things I regard as references in this movie. They include spoilers.

1. When Hans Landa is walking through the barn, we see this from a top angle. The ceilingboards pass in front of the camera, very similar to some famous scenes out of Evil Dead (1981)

2. When the theatre is burning and the nazis try to escape, but end up banging the doors in desperation. This mirrors a scene from Demons (1982, aka Dance of the Demons) where a bunch of zombie/demon-thingies appear in a mysteriously closed cinema-hall.

2. During Nation's Pride, a man is shot by Zoller and falls down into a fountain which looks like a smaller swimming pool. This is very similar so one of the closing killings in Scarface (1984).

I hope you include this in the Archives!

Dr. Zombie-lint
Cowardly Lion

Post by Dr. Zombie-lint » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:20 pm

ALSO! Aldo Raines neck scar could be a reference to either The Great Silence, Hang ´Em High or The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean. I can't tell which one is the most certain.

jonitapani
Real McCoy

Post by jonitapani » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:16 am

I hate that everything that QT does in his movies are said that he is taken from some other movie. Like he didn't have any own thoughts and ideas. If you want to, you can watch any film and search for references to other movies! I just hate you guys do it only to QT movies.
ÄLÄKÄ KOLISE!

EvenSteven
Cowardly Lion

Post by EvenSteven » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:16 am

Before crying in your bucket, we're not even criticizing it. it's a FACT that these are intentional references/homages. It's part of his schtick

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:05 pm

Dr. Zombie-lint wrote:I am bumping this thread with a few things I regard as references in this movie. They include spoilers.

1. When Hans Landa is walking through the barn, we see this from a top angle. The ceilingboards pass in front of the camera, very similar to some famous scenes out of Evil Dead (1981)

2. When the theatre is burning and the nazis try to escape, but end up banging the doors in desperation. This mirrors a scene from Demons (1982, aka Dance of the Demons) where a bunch of zombie/demon-thingies appear in a mysteriously closed cinema-hall.

2. During Nation's Pride, a man is shot by Zoller and falls down into a fountain which looks like a smaller swimming pool. This is very similar so one of the closing killings in Scarface (1984).

I hope you include this in the Archives!
Seems like you're reaching a bit. ;) Seems pretty circumstantial.
Dr. Zombie-lint wrote:ALSO! Aldo Raines neck scar could be a reference to either The Great Silence, Hang ´Em High or The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean. I can't tell which one is the most certain.
Or High Plains Drifter, or any other of the countless other films with hangings, or even neck scars in them. :D Like the Barbarian Brothers (ha, Kenneth)
EvenSteven wrote:Before crying in your bucket, we're not even criticizing it. it's a FACT that these are intentional references/homages. It's part of his schtick
Hold up there, cowboy. No One but QT knows what is and what isn't an intentional reference/homage. So we shouldn't say any of this is FACT until we hear it from the man himself.

jonitapani
Real McCoy

Post by jonitapani » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:24 pm

EvenSteven wrote:Before crying in your bucket, we're not even criticizing it. it's a FACT that these are intentional references/homages. It's part of his schtick
Some are, some are not. I don't believe that everything in his movies is just a reference. Though, it's cool that people are looking for references and are interested in such things.
ÄLÄKÄ KOLISE!

Col. Crazy Kenneth
Fucking Professional

Post by Col. Crazy Kenneth » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:43 pm

I never once head QT say "I was paying hommage to..." or "With this I was referencing..."

We can be pretty sure he just uses ideas and stuff from other movies, simply because they are awesome or they work really good.

jonitapani
Real McCoy

Post by jonitapani » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:47 am

Col. Crazy Kenneth wrote:I never once head QT say "I was paying hommage to..." or "With this I was referencing..."

We can be pretty sure he just uses ideas and stuff from other movies, simply because they are awesome or they work really good.
Yep.
ÄLÄKÄ KOLISE!

EvenSteven
Cowardly Lion

Post by EvenSteven » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:30 am

Quentin called Elle Driver's scene in KBill vol. 1 his "de palma" scene so that in essence is his admittance to paying homage to Carrie as it basically does the same split screen.

vinsue52
Cowardly Lion

Post by vinsue52 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:08 am

I'm watching "Man Hunt" with Walter Pidgeon. About a guy who shot at Hitler,running from a relentless pursuer. Played by John Carradine. I swear QT got the Idea for the "Jew Hunter" from this performance.

Crazy Love
Cowardly Lion

Post by Crazy Love » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:27 am

hope these are some useful starting points.
The Dirty Dozen
Play Dirty
Tobruk
The Five Man Army
Hornet's Nest
Kill Them All and Come Back Alone
Kelly's Heroes
The Inglorious Bastards
http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/9 ... -neilm.php

The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly
Operation Amsterdam
International Lady
"The Saint" films
http://www.kansascity.com/2010/02/18/17 ... about.html

To Be or Not to Be
Paris After Dark
Action in Arabia (is translated in the article as "Intrigue in Damascus")
Nazi Agent
Hitler's Madman
Manhunt
Hangmen Also Die
The Confessions of a Nazi Spy
The Private Affairs of Bel Ami
http://www.cahiersducinema.com/article1880.html (must be translated from the original french)

Dead Zed
Kiddo

Post by Dead Zed » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:22 pm

A bit late, but I watched "The Big Red One - Reconstruction" for the first time last night and spotted some possible influences:
- the blond woman in the red dress who makes a plan to kill all the Nazis in the asylum (BTW, that whole asylum part of the movie has got to be one of the best war scenes ever)
- the way they recognized a German spy by the way he eats at the dinner
- that sneaky and vile sergeant Schroeder reminds me of Landa, plus he also gets wounded by a knife in the woods in the last scene
Of course, these just might be coincidences, but then again we all know Quentin is a big Sam Fuller fan...

mpopping1
Cowardly Lion

Post by mpopping1 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:21 am

The German movies carries the glow in itself. The big red one was a fascination experience with the best war scenes ever recorded.