The Strudel scene: a detective's perspective

The Strudel Scene: There have been many interpretations of the scene in which Hans Landa begins to question Shoshanna, then eating a strudel. I will now break down the scene in detail being a detective myself and viewing the scene many times. Landa begins to question Shoshanna; who is very nervous by the look of her face and also stutters. The waiter then comes over and Landa requests two strudels, one for himself and one for Shoshanna. As for the drinks, he orders espresso for himself, and MILK for Shoshanna. Shoshanna face gets very tight and best believe Landa takes note of this as a detective as evidenced by him saying “no reason to feel anxious”. The waiter then returns. Landa accepts the drinks but notices the strudel does not have cream on it(which is not kosher to jewish people and Shoshanna is Jewish). Landa, laughing, says to Shoshanna “Sorry I forgot to order the creme”. Shoshanna, is quick to start eating the strudel(trying to finish it before the creme arrives) but Landa stops her; “wait for the creme.” Landa, getting evermore suspicious as evidenced by his facial expression, then proceeds to ask Shoshanna another question. Right after this question is asked, the waiter returns yet again with the creme, interrupting the questioning process in which Landa wanted to see if Shoshanna could be quick to give an answer that made sense. The waiter proceeds to place the creme on both strudels. Landa, clearly upset at the timely return of the waiter, stares at the creme in a “that figures” type of manner, allows Shoshanna to take the first bite(once again, displays signs of discomfort breathing heavy and tightening her face), then proceeds to eat HIS strudel violently. Landa then re-asks his previous question, but Shoshanna already had time to think of an answer. Landa then lays it on heavy by asking question after question hastily after every response given by Shoshanna. Shoshanna gives answers back quickly. She answers how her aunt and uncle got killed during Blitzkrieg in which Landa replies; “Pity.” After this, Landa continues to eat his strudel violently while cursing Shoshanna’s lover, who is African American. Landa then proceeds to offer Shoshanna a cigarette. He does this to see if she smokes(which any girl who witnessed their parents murdered would surely need something like a cigarette to calm themselves). Landa, clearly suspicious, announces he has another question for Shoshanna. Landa then begins to stare deep into Shoshanna’s eyes as if to say “Are you that one girl who got away?” Shoshanna, strong, smiles and waits for the question. Landa retracts and forcefully puts his cigarette out in the strudel, as punishment for the strudel interrupting the line of questioning earlier. Landa then walks out unsure.

In conclusion, Landa knew something was wrong with Shoshanna displaying many signs of discomfort. I believe Shoshanna was the only jew that managed to escape Landa. Landa is vexed by this. Shoshanna displayed her strength by answering quickly, not breaking under the pressure, and this is what Landa was and always is counting on as a detective. So it is my personal belief that Landa DID NOT KNOW WHO SHE EXACTLY WAS and accepted her story. He tried but Shoshanna would not bend under the pressure. Case closed.

I think people read way too much into the scene as far as Landa knowing anything. The only reason we give it so much thought is that while the characters have lived a long time since the massacre, its been less than an hour for us as an audience.

I’d imagine anybody, be they jew or french, would be incredibly nervous at this table. The previous round of Nazis had been a pair of bafoons, but Landa is the Nazi to fear. His reputation precedes him, as is pointed out, and anybody even half aware of this man’s reputation would be plenty nervous.

Didn’t everybody smoke back in the 40s? Especially in Europe?

This movie impresses me more and more as time passes by. I can’t think of another movie made recently thats inspired this level of examination. LOVE IT! ;D

@ blingking290:

I love the blow by blow interpretation of this rich scene in the movie - I think you’re pretty much spot on with how that emotional dynamic is being portrayed!

One thing that has me a little baffled - how could Shoshanna’s lover be African AMERICAN when he clearly speaks French and is living in France? :wink: We could more reasonably assume either he, or his ancestors, came from a French possession in the Caribbean (sp?) or Africa - but I didn’t see any information in the movie that led me to think Marcel was from Chicago, originally lol…

Lol he’s not African American, he’s algerian.