Oscars... Grrrr

Once Upon a Time... in Nazi-Occupied France. Quentin Tarantino's latest!
Post Reply
User avatar
roulette67
Basterd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:34 pm
Location: Jersey Girl
Contact:

Oscars... Grrrr

Post by roulette67 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:59 am

For those of you who got to see the show. It was great when Waltz won for Best Supporting Actor, but went down hill from there. They kept cutting to shots of QT and the look on his face was so solemn. I felt he didn't expect to win and basically, just showed his face out of respect.

He got jerked out of Best Original Screenplay, which is a joke. Hurt Locker won. As well as for editing, directing and best picture.

I kinda knew this would happen. Sometimes, I really think Hollywood doesn't like QT, or else they just don't get him or his style. Fuck Hollywood.
Image

User avatar
Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional
Posts: 3690
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:14 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Contact:

Re: Oscars... Grrrr

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:51 pm

^ Yeah.. *sigh*.. I had hoped for four awards, but only really expected two. I was expecting QT to get best original screenplay in addition to Waltz getting the best supporting actor award. I thought the hurt locker was adapted from a book. Guess not.

I was hoping for best picture, since I felt it really was the best movie of the year. And I was HOPING QT would get the best director award. I would have THOUGHT the mere fact that he pretty flawlessly directed this movie in 4 different languages would have been enough to put him above everyone else. I didn't think Kathryn Bigelow would get everything.

Poor Quentin. He really busted his ass making Basterds, and it should have been recognized by the Academy. I'm so not sitting through another Academy Awards show, ever.

User avatar
cyber-lili
Fucking Professional
Posts: 5446
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:13 am
Location: France

Re: Oscars... Grrrr

Post by cyber-lili » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:26 pm

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz wrote:I would have THOUGHT the mere fact that he pretty flawlessly directed this movie in 4 different languages would have been enough to put him above everyone else.
To tell you the truth and I think I've already made the remark here, but French actors were badly directed. And they're not bad actors usually. Sorry but he didn't direct his movie in different languages flawlessly.

I was about for Kathryn Bigelow jsut cause it's great to have the first female director winning a prize. THOUGH her movie has nothing feminine and is more masculine than most female directors movies. If you can win a prize as a woman only by making action movies, that's sad. To me this victory wasn't such achievement.

User avatar
Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional
Posts: 3690
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:14 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Contact:

Re: Oscars... Grrrr

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:18 pm

Yes, I remember you saying that before, but I was under the impression that you felt the French performances were just a bit sub-par. I didn't realize you thought they were so horrible. What was the worst part in French to you?

User avatar
cyber-lili
Fucking Professional
Posts: 5446
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:13 am
Location: France

Re: Oscars... Grrrr

Post by cyber-lili » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:55 pm

Mélanie Laurent is very charming but everytime she opens her mouth, it sounds so fake. Hard to explain in english, sounds like she's rehearsing and not deeeply into it, like a kid acting. She lacks of spontaneity and natural (when she meets Daniel Brühl in the bar, she sounds so fake and later when she explains her plan to destroy the theater, again, not the best acting). Jacky Ido is very bad too, and a friend of mine knows him personnally and he's not proud of his acting at all in the movie. They all sound like TV movie actors, or bad TV series actors. I know there are good TV movies in the USA but here in France, they're seen as bad and cheap most of the time so it's not a good comparaison.

Only Daniel Brühl who both acts in german and french, can act in French. He's always very good.

I can understand german pretty good (though I'm not german, then maybe germans might think the opposite like me with the French) and german actors were all very good. Seriously.

User avatar
Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional
Posts: 3690
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:14 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Contact:

Re: Oscars... Grrrr

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:06 pm

Sounds like Quentin should have had a French consultant to help him get better performances from them... That's too bad. I really can't tell because I don't have an ear for French.

User avatar
RatQuiRit
Fucking Professional
Posts: 1432
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:12 pm
Location: France

Re: Oscars... Grrrr

Post by RatQuiRit » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:09 pm

I agree with everything Lili said about french language and acting in french in IB. Actually, every single one of my friends who's seen IB in Original Version agreed to say Melanie Laurent wasn't great at all, and Jacki Ido is even worse. Daniel Bruhl's friench acting was alright thought, and I really like this actor since I've seen IB.

To go back to the Oscars, as always, we have 1 movie that wins half of the prizes. I haven't seen The Hurt Locker yet, so maybe it's worth everything it has won. Hell, even IB didn't deserve 6 Oscars.
IB"s screenplay though, languages apart, should have won. The idea alone deserves something. I'm glad Waltz got a statue, but that shouldn't be all.

Since I started "caring", or getting info about the Oscars, and other ceremonies, I'm under the impression that the jury or academy or whatever, they only watch like 10 movies, that were advised to them. And they nominate every single one of them in each category. I despise them for not nominating more movies. It was the same for our french Cesar's ceremony. Watching it, you're under the impression that they were less than 10 worthy french movies in a whole year. It's so wrong, I'm glad that for 1, I don't really care about all that, and 2 I'm not into the business. Because it can't be hard to beat Un Prophète in, at least, 2 or 3 categories it won a César. I'd be so pissed to be a director or to have worked in a more worthy movie and that the only thing I'd be able to do is consider how overlooked it was (or even not watched at all, which is more likely).

I don't know if it all makes sense. Drunk + Passionate posting isn't a good equation usually.
Image
"Grief is idiotic...I choose nothing: It's not better, but grief is a compromise. It's everything or nothing."

User avatar
cyber-lili
Fucking Professional
Posts: 5446
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:13 am
Location: France

Re: Oscars... Grrrr

Post by cyber-lili » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:55 pm

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz wrote:Sounds like Quentin should have had a French consultant to help him get better performances from them... That's too bad. I really can't tell because I don't have an ear for French.
He sure must have had a consultant but this consultant ain't Tarantino, not the same talent, he cannot judge the performances like he does with american actors. German actors were overall just better actors so they couldn't coach themselves more I guess. Mélanie Laurent isn't one of the best French actresses anyway, she's not bad but Tarantino could have picked much better actresses. But as I understood, she wasn't the one he would have picked first but he was under her charm cause she sure is charming.

About The Hurt Locker, I've seen and believe me, it doesn't worth that many awards and not the best director nor best movie. Technical awards, that's like Avatar, they do deserve it. The sound was awesome and the editing was quite good. The directing is like the Bourne trilogy but they never got nominated but were for the best editing. You see the idea. Best screenplay ? It def doesn't deserve it, Tarantino could have won it, even though I wasn't too much into the idea Tarantino won other prizes. But The Hurt Locker screenplay was in a sump up (exagerated way to tell the story) : they find a first mine in a street (30min), then they walk 100m and find a second mine in a car (20min), they're happy to have done a good job and get some rest (15min), they go back on a mission in the desert, they wait cause they don't see anything suspicious (25min), they fight against terrorists, the pressure is so hard (20min) - the end.... ;D

User avatar
Lt. BioBasterd
Fucking Professional
Posts: 1881
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:53 am
Location: Milla's Womb
Contact:

Re: Oscars... Grrrr

Post by Lt. BioBasterd » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:56 pm

I wouldn't undermine Hurt Locker's success, the film was greatly directed by Kathryn Bigelow. The story is wild because of the lead character - he's like a modern day cowboy. Even he can't explain his bravado, the film did a great job in showing rather than explaining.

The thing about Quentin Tarantino is that he brings a cinematic style that does not appeal to the masses, or in this case the Academy Award voters. There's a level of prestige in this ceremony that requires a story that will transcend time, and a story that will appeal for future audiences. Inglourious Basterds is a great film and it is a fictional work, there was a lack of "seriousness" in my opinion that held it back from being a true contender.

In fact I'm beginning to think that it was Christoph Waltz and QT's writing that made this film a contender. I've seen "The Hurt Locker" twice and I guess you can say that it is this generation's version of "All is Quiet On The Western Front". When you see this film you see Iraq and the adversaries that the American soldiers are fighting. It's a new kind of warfare. Remember that line the young soldier says about the tanks just being parked. They're not fighting an enemy, they're fighting themselves out there. The war is more psychological than it is physical.

As a true film lover I was rooting for The Hurt locker and the fan boy part of me was rooting for Basterds. One thing that I did have a problem with was the best original screenplay award - but at least he was nominated for eight of those fuckers. You just can't win 'em all :-X

The highlight of the awards was Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin, those guys killed!

User avatar
Movie_Villain
Real McCoy
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:23 am
Location: san antonio, tx

Re: Oscars... Grrrr

Post by Movie_Villain » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:13 am

Q looked pissed when he lost the screenplay award

User avatar
Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional
Posts: 1843
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:45 pm

Re: Oscars... Grrrr

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:34 am

Movie_Villain wrote:Q looked pissed when he lost the screenplay award
Rightfully fucking so. You can trick yourself into thinking that The Hurt Locker had better editing, sound, etc... but screenplay? How in the hell do they even compare?! The Hurt locker is a director's movie if I ever saw one. The script was a blueprint. Inglourious Basterds is of literary standards.

"Don't you ever take your headset off again!"

beat

"Actually Werner we're all tickled to hear you say that. Quite frankly watching Donny beat Nazis to death is the closest we ever get to going to the movies. Donny!"

User avatar
Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional
Posts: 3690
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:14 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Contact:

Re: Oscars... Grrrr

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:17 am

Ordell Rodriguez wrote:
Movie_Villain wrote:Q looked pissed when he lost the screenplay award
Rightfully fucking so. You can trick yourself into thinking that The Hurt Locker had better editing, sound, etc... but screenplay? How in the hell do they even compare?! The Hurt locker is a director's movie if I ever saw one. The script was a blueprint. Inglourious Basterds is of literary standards.

"Don't you ever take your headset off again!"

beat

"Actually Werner we're all tickled to hear you say that. Quite frankly watching Donny beat Nazis to death is the closest we ever get to going to the movies. Donny!"
I couldn't have said exactly how I feel about it better than you just did. Well done, bro. I was quite pissed off about the Best Original Screenplay not going to QT. And QT knows he should have won it.

User avatar
Lt. BioBasterd
Fucking Professional
Posts: 1881
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:53 am
Location: Milla's Womb
Contact:

Re: Oscars... Grrrr

Post by Lt. BioBasterd » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:47 am

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz wrote:
Ordell Rodriguez wrote:
Movie_Villain wrote:Q looked pissed when he lost the screenplay award
Rightfully fucking so. You can trick yourself into thinking that The Hurt Locker had better editing, sound, etc... but screenplay? How in the hell do they even compare?! The Hurt locker is a director's movie if I ever saw one. The script was a blueprint. Inglourious Basterds is of literary standards.

"Don't you ever take your headset off again!"

beat

"Actually Werner we're all tickled to hear you say that. Quite frankly watching Donny beat Nazis to death is the closest we ever get to going to the movies. Donny!"
I couldn't have said exactly how I feel about it better than you just did. Well done, bro. I was quite pissed off about the Best Original Screenplay not going to QT. And QT knows he should have won it.
If you ask me I think not winning an Oscar makes him a better competitor. Winning an Oscar, I must imagine would instill terrible pride and cockiness to his future work, almost like he can do anything and it's gonna be gold - that sorta thing. Quentin has a huge ego, but he's a good man, and I do think an Oscar win would change his disposition in his latter work. So I'm sort of glad he's gonna keep reaching.

Just look at Marty Scorsese or P.T. Anderson. We all know QT, Marty, and Paul are the holy trinity of filmmakers, yet they don't get the proper recognition they deserve.

User avatar
Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional
Posts: 3690
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:14 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Contact:

Re: Oscars... Grrrr

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:00 am

Lt. BioBasterd wrote:
If you ask me I think not winning an Oscar makes him a better competitor. Winning an Oscar, I must imagine would instill terrible pride and cockiness to his future work, almost like he can do anything and it's gonna be gold - that sorta thing. Quentin has a huge ego, but he's a good man, and I do think an Oscar win would change his disposition in his latter work. So I'm sort of glad he's gonna keep reaching.

Just look at Marty Scorsese or P.T. Anderson. We all know QT, Marty, and Paul are the holy trinity of filmmakers, yet they don't get the proper recognition they deserve.

Oooohh. Good point. He does have a good-sized ego, and I can totally see where you're coming from in the regard that it should keep him reaching for the stars. BUT.... He totally SHOULD have won this year's Best Original Screenplay. He REALLY should have. I've known the Academy was all bullshit for years, but I kept hoping. And when No Country for Old Men won, I thought it was a turn-around for the Oscars. It wasn't. I still hoped though.

User avatar
Lt. BioBasterd
Fucking Professional
Posts: 1881
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:53 am
Location: Milla's Womb
Contact:

Re: Oscars... Grrrr

Post by Lt. BioBasterd » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:08 am

Like Marty Scorsese said after too many losses, "It's tough, but what are you gonna do? - I'm not going to cry."

What do awards do anyway? Hitchcock never once won an Academy Award for any of his films, he was honored with one, but he never won for any of his directing.

Compare North By Northwest with Slumdog Millionaire, and ask yourself: "What film would I rather see?" - and then you'll know how insignificant the award becomes as time goes by.

User avatar
Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional
Posts: 3690
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:14 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Contact:

Re: Oscars... Grrrr

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:15 am

Lt. BioBasterd wrote:Like Marty Scorsese said after too many losses, "It's tough, but what are you gonna do? - I'm not going to cry."

What do awards do anyway? Hitchcock never once won an Academy Award for any of his films, he was honored with one, but he never won for any of his directing.

Compare North By Northwest with Slumdog Millionaire, and ask yourself: "What film would I rather see?" - and then you'll know how insignificant the award becomes as time goes by.

Yeah. Regarding your NxNW/Slumdog example, that's exactly the sort of choices that made me realize the Academy Awards were bullshit, years ago. It just hurts so bad. You know?

Mr.Pink

Re: Oscars... Grrrr

Post by Mr.Pink » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:46 am

Absolute bullshit how QT didnt get best original screenplay. The Hurt Locker was the epitome of average.

User avatar
Movie_Villain
Real McCoy
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:23 am
Location: san antonio, tx

Re: Oscars... Grrrr

Post by Movie_Villain » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:05 am

look...i like the Hurt Locker..i really do..i guess if QT had to lose to anyone well then let it be this one..but yes it did hurt me to see Quentin lose after taking 10 or so frickin years to write the damn thing! I guess Mark whatshisname got sympathy from the academy for "risking his life"?

User avatar
Seth_Gecko
Fucking Professional
Posts: 3749
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:54 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Oscars... Grrrr

Post by Seth_Gecko » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:07 pm

Oscars are always a disappointment. The Hurt locker is the right movie to win the need for political correctness and simple public sentiment. It's never about movies, it's always about the social sentiment. Like with that piece of overrated bullshit "Crash" winning in 2006 it's all a big shambles.

User avatar
Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional
Posts: 1843
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:45 pm

Re: Oscars... Grrrr

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:24 am

Oh well. Maybe next year we'll see PTA AND Terrance Malick get fucked over. I just hope like every year that they'll get it right eventually.

Something not discussed is Avatar winning for best cinematography. That made me shake my head like that weird frog dude in The Phantom Menace.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests